No recognition for Russell Coughlin | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

No recognition for Russell Coughlin

Sep 7, 2006
Good shout Ham Green. Great player from my Dad's generation.

I did not realise that he had died. Probably because I was out of the country at the time.

I agree that in relation to the fans a single memorial at the end of the season is the best place but for players who contributed hugely to Argyle success something different should be done. The players should have been wearing black armbands for two great servants of the club at a minimum!

Feb 18, 2016
I agree that it can be overused on occasion but Russell was one of our past players who definitely deserved his own minutes silence/applause, a great servant to our club during the mid eighties, a period of relative success that will live long in the memories of any fan old enough to have experienced it. Shame on PAFC, RIP Russell and condolences to his family.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Ham Green":hreswmt6 said:
What about Alex Govan? Why nothing for him? And why has it taken 15 posts for anyone to even mention him?

The current system doesn't work for players who happen to die in the middle of pre-season, because everyone's forgotten about it by the time the season starts. Surely this isn't fair, and a single memorial to all passed Argyle players and fans would be far more appropriate.

Then it's simple.

Before the Luton game we could have been a minute's tribute to two Argyle 'greats' Alex Govan and Russell Coughlin.

It's not rocket science is it?

May 16, 2016
Just a thought, but do the club contact the relatives before such a thing ? Maybe if they do, the family could agree or otherwise, about if and when such a mark of respect is paid.

Apr 12, 2016
West_Norwood_Green":gs0ctpps said:
Not up to us I know, as we are the away team but it would seem appropriate to arrange a tribute this Saturday when we play Carlisle, given RC's strong association with both clubs?

They are playing Port Vale at home tomorrow night so if they do mark it (you would assume they would) may do it then

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
IJN":2qfdfkzs said:
Ham Green":2qfdfkzs said:
What about Alex Govan? Why nothing for him? And why has it taken 15 posts for anyone to even mention him?

The current system doesn't work for players who happen to die in the middle of pre-season, because everyone's forgotten about it by the time the season starts. Surely this isn't fair, and a single memorial to all passed Argyle players and fans would be far more appropriate.

Then it's simple.

Before the Luton game we could have been a minute's tribute to two Argyle 'greats' Alex Govan and Russell Coughlin.

Birmingham City gave Alex Govan a terrific tribute. The minutes silence was replaced by fans with a belting rendition of keep right on, their anthem which he introduced to the club.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
It is difficult not to agree with all the previous comments. A minutes applause (preferably, I prefer a minutes silence) in 9 months time is 9 months too late.

May 19, 2016
IJN":2s7h58jq said:
Ham Green":2s7h58jq said:

Then it's simple.

I agree completely with IJN on this one.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
In the circumstances, it would be etiquette to devote a Page in the next home match programme devoted half each to Alex and Russell and for the families to receive a copy each, to show that the great green family care.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Quintrell_Green":2r9stw85 said:
In the circumstances, it would be etiquette to devote a Page in the next home match programme devoted half each to Alex and Russell and for the families to receive a copy each, to show that the great green family care.

I agree. Having missed one boat we should ensure we don't miss two.

Dec 3, 2005
I was also apalled that a minutes silence/applause was not conducted BEFORE the game, and part of me feels that the Argyle Legends guy may have been appalled also and did what he did at halftime on the spur of the moment (maybe not, maybe it was planned). I do believe that Russell Coughlin deserved MORE then the 20 to 30 seconds applause given at half time though.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I lost faith when we couldn't even acknowledge the passing of Johnny Williams. There was a home game on the Saturday following his passing. That is when I was told that the new policy was to "round them all up at the end of the season." Simply not the same, especially for those with legendary status.