Nowhere near the finished article (Lowe) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Nowhere near the finished article (Lowe)

Mar 14, 2009
"I can’t criticise my lads and my team because they have been fantastic but we have said we are nowhere the finished article.“

So this is what Lowe said after the game.

No need to panic, but we have to be realistic. If our manager is saying this then even he must see things aren’t quite clicking.

I don’t understand why people are gunning for Taylor. As a team unit we aren’t testing the opposition keeper enough. The creative spark to break teams down isn’t quite there. The crossing isn’t good enough as of yet against teams that are sitting deep.

It will come. Might need to find the right positions for certain personal. Or maybe need to wait to ship some of Adams signings out and bring others in. Mayor is feeling the pressure l suspect of Lowe building him up.

It’s like some of the fan base are expecting miracles for it all to be perfect and success to happen right now.

Mar 1, 2008
Metal_Green_Mickey":2dgdh3pp said:
I don’t understand why people are gunning for Taylor...

I don't think Taylor suits Lowe's style of football. He's too static compared with Moore and Telford. Our play slows when he gets on the ball, not by much, just enough to halt any quick attacking play.
Also we have no need for a target man now that we play out from the back.

I don't question his ability. I just don't think he suits us anymore.

Jul 12, 2016
Granted we had Ladapo last season but with little help from the rest of the team. This season we have a few players who might score but no recognised striker.
Pity we can't have both.

Mar 14, 2009
evil_dave86":13oazn04 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":13oazn04 said:
I don’t understand why people are gunning for Taylor...

I don't think Taylor suits Lowe's style of football. He's too static compared with Moore and Telford. Our play slows when he gets on the ball, not by much, just enough to halt any quick attacking play.
Also we have no need for a target man now that we play out from the back.

I don't question his ability. I just don't think he suits us anymore.

The thing is l watched them in pre-season against Rovers. I watched them against Colchester. In both those games the build up play, at times, was too slow and the final ball lacking. It was really uncanny how similar those patterns of play in the games were.

I’m not sure Taylor is just the issue, if he is at all. Especially when you think in the last two league games how active the keeper was. It was a similar story against Bristol Rovers at Home in the pre-season game. We got all this possession but have yet to find our cutting edge, in my opinion.

It will come. I just not sure we won’t have similar games like today, especially at HP, for the foreseeable future which some fans will get impatient over as we seek solutions.

Dec 16, 2004
Possession but little penetration.

I thought this against Colchester and even more so today. I don't know if Bury were this cautious in possession but we definitely are.

I got bored against Colchester and again today. I'm hoping Mayor will start to unlock defenses like Carey and Lameiras could.

70 per cent possession first half and barely a shot on target says it all.

It's not even pretty possession, it's often the simplest pass with no objective.

Hopeful that Lowe sees it the same way and knows how to fire it up.

Mar 14, 2009
lyndhurst13":2bew2r37 said:
Possession but little penetration.

I thought this against Colchester and even more so today. I don't know if Bury were this cautious in possession but we definitely are.

I got bored against Colchester and again today. I'm hoping Mayor will start to unlock defenses like Carey and Lameiras could.

70 per cent possession first half and barely a shot on target says it all.

It's not even pretty possession, it's often the simplest pass with no objective.

Hopeful that Lowe sees it the same way and knows how to fire it up.

It was interesting listening to the commentary on the radio. The main guy said he saw Bury last season and two points he made about the 1-1 draw he watched.

1. How many chances Bury created

2. How he declared watching Mayor was just like watching a championship player

Nether thing is happening at the moment for Argyle. Yet lm sure it will.

If Lowe himself is saying we are no where near the finished article then l’d think what we currently are seeing maybe different in 6 months time. For example, will Riley be our right wing back in 6 months time. I’m not sure he will because of his final ball.

Last season, in a season Bury got promoted their first five leagues saw them win just 1, draw 1, and lose 3. Plus they got knocked out of the first round of the league cup. And here was a team praised by most last season for their great football. Even if we lose to Salford and Walsall in the next two games the start Bury had last season shows just how things can change quickly.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
We had a 10 minute spell again Leyton Orient in the cup where we scored 2 and could of had 3 or 4 in that time. For those 10 mins we were like a swarm of bees, buzzing all over the pitch and Leyton Orient couldn’t deal with it.

We need to reach that level more often and we will score plenty. I agree with some that Taylor just looks awkward whenever he plays.

Feb 23, 2008
Lowe's been saying we are nowhere near the finished article for weeks now.

Taylor probably needs a run of games to get up to speed? He was our lynchpin up front for a season or two and last season he spent most of it on the bench because of Ladapo's goalscoring form or his own injury.

It'll take a bit of time to learn Lowe's way rather than Adam's way surely, maybe he deserves some time and patience to get there?

Jan 6, 2004
Newport was my first game so perhaps the performance was not representative given previous results but it appeared to me that the players are being asked to play a style beyond their ability.

Clearly they have been told to always play ball to feet if possible and avoid speculative balls. The trouble is, this is leading to far too many side and back passes; plenty of possession but little penetration and always the danger of eventually giving the ball away in a dangerous position.

The other problem is a marked reluctance to put in an early cross - lots of crossing opportunities shunned followed by failed attempts to get round the full back and cut in: a symptom of the same problem.

I agree with a poster above that Taylor doesn’t much suit the style. Lapado would have loved the ball to feet service; such a shame we lost him.

Mayor has clearly not found his feet yet, we need him to do so quickly as the side is crying out for a playmaker.

On a positive note, the goalkeeper and defence look reassuringly solid after the brittle fragility of the Adams years

All in all It is easy to see what Lowe is trying to do but one must ask if he can afford to be as purist with the players he has got.

Aug 5, 2016
For anyone too down in the dumps, just remember we outplayed Newport yesterday. They had a 5 minute period of pressure and found a goal where we didn't in numerous periods of pressure. The first half was one way traffic. A Newport fan told me we were streets ahead of Mansfield.

We need a few tweaks, but Lowe has got the foundations of the side up and running quickly. Three clean sheets and one goal conceded in his first 4 competitive matches.

If anyone can get the Telford/Taylor axis working it will be Lowe.