'One of our own' | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

'One of our own'

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Benji85":1h19ygvs said:
Ashley barnes

If you're going for Ashley Barnes as 'one of our own', Benji (he signed from Paulton Rovers), then I'm claiming Paul Mariner (he signed from Chorley). Top trumps! :lol:

Oct 5, 2013
Andy_S":tw34j0gw said:
I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned Paul Wotton.

Plymouth born, youth product, debut at 17 and scored 66 times in 490 appearances. Thanks to GoS for the figures.

Would you really want anyone else to take a free kick from outside the box...or a penalty?

Pretty sure that he was also top scorer one season.

Did he ever miss a penalty in fact, does anyone know? Also would love to know how many pens he scored.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
philevs":19k8wku6 said:
Andy_S":19k8wku6 said:

Plymouth born, youth product, debut at 17 and scored 66 times in 490 appearances. Thanks to GoS for the figures.

Would you really want anyone else to take a free kick from outside the box...or a penalty?

Did he ever miss a penalty in fact, does anyone know? Also would love to know how many pens he scored.

From memory, he missed twice - at home to Bournemouth when he mis-hit the ball and away at Derby when he lost his footing on a poor pitch.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Alan Turing":218m1c79 said:
philevs":218m1c79 said:
Andy_S":218m1c79 said:

From memory, he missed twice - at home to Bournemouth when he mis-hit the ball and away at Derby when he lost his footing on a poor pitch.
true legend.

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
Martin Barlow?

Oct 5, 2013
Alan Turing":1u7356pd said:
philevs":1u7356pd said:
Andy_S":1u7356pd said:

Thanks for this info!
Any idea how many pens he scored?

Graham Green

✨Pasoti Donor✨
May 26, 2010
Swindon
Dunno but one of a handful of Argyle players that raised expectancy when a free kick was being set up. Bobby Charlton style arrow straight and fast. (Shows my age)
I’m sure some keepers were tempted to duck when he smashed penalties.

Jun 27, 2019
Wotton's freekick style is a lost art. You don't see players smacking the ball as hard as they can any more do you?

It was especially impressive that he used to score so often given he was usually aiming for the small gap between the wall and the post - which is usually where the keeper stands.