Our attack | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Our attack

Sep 6, 2006
That’s exactly the point though, trying to play football with our feet isn’t working, so let’s try with a target man up front who is good with his head, at least for part of any game that we may need to.
Centre backs often make decent centre forwards, because they know the runs that are needed to make spaces, through having to mark them up the whole time.
Teams know we have no one capable of holding the ball up when a long ball is played. Or putting in any meaningful challenge. So they just have to press us deep and we are stumped. That's where a targetman comes in which I have long advocated but certain posters can't see it.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Teams know we have no one capable of holding the ball up when a long ball is played. Or putting in any meaningful challenge. So they just have to press us deep and we are stumped. That's where a targetman comes in which I have long advocated but certain posters can't see it.
Another option is for the keeper to punt the ball into touch as far forward as we can then try winning it back from a throw in. Certainly be more productive than watching Hardie failing to compete for a header..... again.

Sep 6, 2006
Hardie is shattered. He covers so much ground, we just need an alternative to give him a rest. I'd play Bundu up top with Mumba playing off him. Jordan, Randell and Devine in midfield and our usual back 5. Give it 60 minutes then unleash Whittaker and Hardie.
So what you seem to be suggesting is that Hardie runs around for 90 minutes. Then just keeps running the rest of the week! There were 8 days between Leicester and Stoke! Have more sympathy for Coventry strikers. 120 mins on Sunday, play again tomorrow then again on Saturday. Unfortunately for us they play Blackburn on Saturday.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
So we’re converting Dan Scarr into a centre forward?!

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Hardie is shattered. He covers so much ground, we just need an alternative to give him a rest. I'd play Bundu up top with Mumba playing off him. Jordan, Randell and Devine in midfield and our usual back 5. Give it 60 minutes then unleash Whittaker and Hardie.

I can see merit in some of that tbh.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2006
weston super mare
Thankfully retired now, but regularly worked 60 hr weeks, so I find the concept of a young man, a trained athlete, being exhausted by running around chasing a ball for 60-70 minutes once or twice a week for 9 months of the year quite mind boggling.
Am beginning to wonder whether the biggest loss of the winter has been our strand conditioning coach.

Reactions: Balham Green
Oct 10, 2018
Having read lots of posts on here, I believe it's a mixture of both, a rigid MF and poor angles and movement up front.

However what isn't mentioned so much is are lack of width, we play to narrow down right down the centre.

In training I would mini sessions with Muma and Bundu, being thread balls down.the line, as practising attacking the argyke defence, going wide and cut.ball across the goal line and into the box.

Then a mini session with Alfie D and Sirinola doing the same.

He to get some width into the game to pull opposition and move around, so there areas for strikers to run, rather than trying force everything down the centre MF.

In addition we need fresh legs to start in attack Freddie I and Waine. Hardie and Morgan on bench ready to come on last 30 mins or.HT.

Reactions: philevs

McQ

May 10, 2005
Plymouth
I don't think Hardie is much more physically fatigued than any of the other players at the end of a long season. For me the issue is that he is hoping for something to happen and just looks jaded. He has always been a streaky player and we are in a prolonged down turn. The view from strikers is always the time to be concerned is not when you miss chances but when the chances stop coming. Hardie is in the difficult position where we are creating very little, and when a small crumb falls, he does not look close to maximising the opportunity.

So replacing Hardie is only one part of the puzzle, if we don't address the chances creation it won't matter...we will just be hoping for a ricochet or something. The other aspect is our difference maker, morgs, has dried up. He could be relied upon to do something special, which opened the game and led to more space and more chances. Now we just huff and puff. Results happen to us rather than us making them happen.

That sounds depressing and it takes a moment of inspiration to change a game, we just have to keep a clean sheet until then. 2 clean sheets pretty much keeps us up, and also means a single goal is enough if we get lucky(like Leicester)

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
As BG said, we need to change things.

Playing with 2 very wide forwards in Whittaker and Bundu and just having Randell and Forshaw/Houghton in central midfield exposes us badly and makes us vulnerable to the quick attack, a notable feature of most teams at this level.

The 2 in CM have to shield the back 3 but are also expected to be creative for our lone forward. With respect, you would have to be a lot better than Randell and Houghton to be able to do that at this level.

Why do we play with such widely-positioned forwards when we have the 2 Wing Backs to provide the width?

Whittaker constantly receives the ball on the touchline and has to come inside to get the ball on his left foot; it's all so predictable and easy to defend.

Our 2 wide forwards should be a lot narrower to better support Hardie and to make it harder for teams to break. Dare I say it, a bit more like Carey and Lameiras playing behind Taylor.
Exactly right. For them to be that wide in a 4-3-3 worked brilliantly because we had 3 in central midfield - 2 holders and a creator (Azaz or Cundle). We then moved to 3-4-3, and not only lost our 2 creators, but lost them as an extra man in central midfield. At that point we should have moved to 3-4-2-1, but we didn't, and our attacking play and our already suspect ability to not be outnumbered and hurt in transition has suffered drastically.

Last edited:
Reactions: vibratingspider