Our enigma of a manager | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Our enigma of a manager

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Dustysteve":gkzqa0au said:
I am afraid that I have never bitten into the Second Messiah status of our current manager.
Having got Bury relegated and then promoted again with a budget that bankrupt the club , he then decamped South and in effect we became Bury Argyle. Something that sat very uneasily with me. We then I feel fairly fortuitously got promoted from a very poor standard League 2, in no small thanks to Coronavirus ,plus an exceptional goalkeeper in Palmer and a very good league 2 midfielder in Sarcevic. Our current squad is made up of youngsters who were already here before him , a load of his Bury best mates, a load of loan signings ,who without being too disparaging range from average downwards. The only players that he has signed that start ( sometimes ) regularly are Edwards and Camara. Although Ennis does look useful I admit. This after 2 years and promises of having mates from Gareth Southgate downwards and players queuing up to play for him. More worryingly he has been tactically outmaneuvered second half by virtually every team this season and many last season ( even those without managers). If our current manager instead of being a sharp dressing Liverpudlian with a high opinion of himself was instead a straight talking Yorkshireman or had a Scottish accent then he would be being lambasted , abused and probably worse. Trying to play like his beloved Liverpool with league 2 players does not do it for me. Never mind the skill where is The pride . The Passion . The Desire .The Wottons , The Fletchers , The Nelsons The Careys , Even The Songo"s. The things that define PROPER FOOTBALL

Spot on.....Lowe's success is well beyond his ability and experience.....Covid-19 was perfectly timed for Argyle when it froze the season.....it has always puzzled me that Mayor who fades away in the second half never, never gets subbed....his goal scoring is nearly non-existent and his assists (5) are not outstanding either.....yesterday our strikers could have been on another planet...they got no good ball to use from our poor midfield....and our defence at times look like 7yr olds on a Saturday morning committing the same mistakes that gets their dads holding their heads.....I could go on... but you all know that we are only staying up because we have luckily got a big enough buffer to survive....I certainly wouldn't depend on our defence to save my life.

Jan 21, 2007
I totally blame RL for getting us promoted, keeping us in this division, and giving us a window into what he thinks and why he does certain things.

Easily our best manager since Paul Sturrock; not as good as Paul Sturrock, but definitely good enough for where we are right now and where we want to be in one or two seasons time.

:scarf:

Sep 25, 2010
oldage":am5bpmmr said:
Martyn":am5bpmmr said:
oldage":am5bpmmr said:
Martyn":am5bpmmr said:
Dustysteve":am5bpmmr said:
I am afraid that I have never bitten into the Second Messiah status of our current manager.
Having got Bury relegated and then promoted again with a budget that bankrupt the club , he then decamped South and in effect we became Bury Argyle. Something that sat very uneasily with me. We then I feel fairly fortuitously got promoted from a very poor standard League 2, in no small thanks to Coronavirus ,plus an exceptional goalkeeper in Palmer and a very good league 2 midfielder in Sarcevic. Our current squad is made up of youngsters who were already here before him , a load of his Bury best mates, a load of loan signings ,who without being too disparaging range from average downwards. The only players that he has signed that start ( sometimes ) regularly are Edwards and Camara. Although Ennis does look useful I admit. This after 2 years and promises of having mates from Gareth Southgate downwards and players queuing up to play for him. More worryingly he has been tactically outmaneuvered second half by virtually every team this season and many last season ( even those without managers). If our current manager instead of being a sharp dressing Liverpudlian with a high opinion of himself was instead a straight talking Yorkshireman or had a Scottish accent then he would be being lambasted , abused and probably worse. Trying to play like his beloved Liverpool with league 2 players does not do it for me. Never mind the skill where is The pride . The Passion . The Desire .The Wottons , The Fletchers , The Nelsons The Careys , Even The Songo"s. The things that define PROPER FOOTBALL

Never read such absolute rubbish and utter crap.

Probably every statement and sentence I sent very misguided.

He did not bankrupt Bury, and they being relegated when he took over anyhow.

It wasn’t his fault for Covid, and has brought in some very good players.

His origins and accent is totally irrelevant, you need to take a good look at yourself.
It wasn't Lowe's fault for Covid but every team has been affected arguably us less than many others. "He has brought in very good players" is your opinion. I'm with Dustysteve :scarf:

Not surprised you agree with the original stupid comments, as you are anti RL,
I am not a Lowe fan because although he is personable and talks the talk , I am far from convinced that he is a good manager.The actions on the pitch seem to prove that he is out of his depth and actions speak louder than words. You are quick to dismiss other posters comments as rubbish and whereas not all the statements are correct I agree with the gist of the post. IMO we would not miss Lowe and Mayor if they departed.Both flatter to deceive.

Thankfully, it is not people like you and others, who decide who is our manager.
others, who decide,
Thankfully, there are people like our Directors, and others who decide, people with a better ‘insight and more importantly knowledge’,than the likes of us, who decide.

RL is doing an excellent job, on these different circumstances, long may it continue.

Nov 27, 2020
Dustysteve":3tajrmdo said:

The original OP is saying that we have a group of players who are league 2 standard at best and loan players who are average or lower. So if I'm reading this right, us finishing mid table in league 1 with a league 2 squad must be down to some excellent management and tactics. Sounds like high praise for Lowe and his team.

I'm a Lowe fan and can see the improvement from last season to this, not least in our league position.

May 8, 2011
Martyn":114q4x8h said:
oldage":114q4x8h said:
oldage":114q4x8h said:
Dustysteve":114q4x8h said:

Never read such absolute rubbish and utter crap.

Probably every statement and sentence I sent very misguided.

He did not bankrupt Bury, and they being relegated when he took over anyhow.

It wasn’t his fault for Covid, and has brought in some very good players.

His origins and accent is totally irrelevant, you need to take a good look at yourself.
It wasn't Lowe's fault for Covid but every team has been affected arguably us less than many others. "He has brought in very good players" is your opinion. I'm with Dustysteve :scarf:

Not surprised you agree with the original stupid comments, as you are anti RL,
I am not a Lowe fan because although he is personable and talks the talk , I am far from convinced that he is a good manager.The actions on the pitch seem to prove that he is out of his depth and actions speak louder than words. You are quick to dismiss other posters comments as rubbish and whereas not all the statements are correct I agree with the gist of the post. IMO we would not miss Lowe and Mayor if they departed.Both flatter to deceive.

Thankfully, it is not people like you and others, who decide who is our manager.
others, who decide,
Thankfully, there are people like our Directors, and others who decide, people with a better ‘insight and more importantly knowledge’,than the likes of us, who decide.

RL is doing an excellent job, on these different circumstances, long may it continue.

If you think Lowe is doing an excellent job you must have quite low expectations. The current record this season is only marginally better than the relegation season of 18/19 and the goal difference is worse than then. I suspect that based on available funds the cost per point this season is a lot more than it was in 18/19.

Nov 2, 2004
We seem to be getting one of these odd posts from a random new poster after every defeat. The doom mungers love it and leap straight on.All very strange.To my mind Lowe has done a good job and kept a very young team competitively and at times we also play some really nice football . Long may he continue and I cannot wait for next season. :scarf:

Mar 16, 2006
Manchester
My word there's some nonsense being talked on here. This season was ALWAYS about consolidation, which we've done in all but mathmatical certainty. Most promoted teams struggle for form and consistency - only Crewe have more points than us. Even Sturrock's apparent untouchables went through a streak between the end of August and the end of November in 2002 only amassing one victory out of 11 games and then, after a decent unbeaten run of eight games, failed to go more than three games without a defeat until the last month of that season. I'm not in any way suggesting that history could repeat itself but we all know what happened next.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Can we just relax a bit? Under Lowe we've been promoted then consolidated ourselves in League One.

We'd all have very gladly taken that, now let's see what the management team have got up their sleeves to push us on.

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
Biggs":2stoo6ho said:
Can we just relax a bit? Under Lowe we've been promoted then consolidated ourselves in League One.

We'd all have very gladly taken that, now let's see what the management team have got up their sleeves to push us on.

Well said :clap:

Apr 9, 2011
Guiri Green":2tygc7m2 said:
The difference between him and previous managers is his preferred way of playing always seems to take precedence over the ability of his players to carry it out.

Look how much more comfortable some of ours look in a back 4 with little responsibility for starting attacks outside of getting rid of the ball. The previous manager at least managed to get the best out of some by playing them in a way they could handle.

We've got 4th division players trying to play in a way that's alien to them and a few leagues above their ability.
Spot on

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I'd like to think that I don't over react to highs or lows. But I am beginning to get concerned about our second half performances. Its gone on too long now and we seem no closer to solving the problem. It strikes me that a (socially-distanced) squad and coaching staff meeting is required, a no holds-barred discussion with nothing ruled out. In any team game the fault is never with one person. Its easy to blame Lowe, although it does go with the job, but the players' second half performances are a massive part of the problem.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Biggs":2fr58fwr said:

Ah, a voice of reason amongst all the twaddle.

Apr 9, 2011
So that debacle yesterday was nothing to do with Lowe really. It will be interesting to see what team he puts out v Hull after his rant yesterday. Am beginning to think its a blessing in disguise most of this lot are out of contract/loanees as they looked yesterday as though they have downed tools difficult to argue against that