Our home and away support in League One | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Our home and away support in League One

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Knibbsworth":h62vozg8 said:
oddball":h62vozg8 said:
Bradford show the value of giving fans cheap season tickets...head and shoulders above any other team in this division for home attendances...despite bigger teams in the vicinity.Maybe next season Argyle could follow suit.....

If Argyle made tickets half price and put 4-5,000 on the gate, what would be the point? Loss of revenue and extra costs of stewarding and policing to consider.

I personally believe the kids for a quid idea is the best route. On top of that, give out free tickets to classrooms across Plymouth, the wider Devon/Cornwall area even, let classmates come and sit together and have a laugh at Home Park. As they get older, they might just get hooked. Keep investing in the next generations of greens than letting the seats go unused.

This for me, I don't think cheap tickets will overcome the apathy towards Argyle enough to make it a viable option.

Many adults across Plymouth lost hope in Argyle long ago, they'll never wait for Argyle to succeed far easier to only turn up for the big ones.

The best bet is the next generation; giving out tickets to the kids football teams last year was a cracking idea; something similar for school kids and a teacher would be brilliant. It's not just about getting kids through the door, if you can get them and their mates in the ground together enjoying themselves Argyle can become a regular hang out for them.

We're all creatures of habit if you and your mates are used to going to Argyle on a Saturday very rarely do you break away from that. The club however has to make the first move, normalising Argyle as a Sarurday out with your pals.

Knibbsworth":rkjs44u9 said:
oddball":rkjs44u9 said:
Bradford show the value of giving fans cheap season tickets...head and shoulders above any other team in this division for home attendances...despite bigger teams in the vicinity.Maybe next season Argyle could follow suit.....

If Argyle made tickets half price and put 4-5,000 on the gate, what would be the point? Loss of revenue and extra costs of stewarding and policing to consider.

I personally believe the kids for a quid idea is the best route. On top of that, give out free tickets to classrooms across Plymouth, the wider Devon/Cornwall area even, let classmates come and sit together and have a laugh at Home Park. As they get older, they might just get hooked. Keep investing in the next generations of greens than letting the seats go unused.

For some years I've believed the Bradford half price scheme was one Argyle should try, thinking that it might just be the spur that doubles gates and reflects our true potential. You're right it wouldn't be revenue neutral because of the extra policing costs, although extra merchandising sales might offset this. The problem is there is no way of testing this without first selling season tickets at half price, and if the extra bums on seats from POTD don't turn up, then the income loss would be substantial. You're right, we've got to think a generation ahead, and here I would be bolder and let kids in for free and slowly build extra support over time. It's a very easy 'no cost now' investment.

Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
Bradford have the capacity to deal with it. They have the space to fill up the place with cheap season tickets and still have room to accommodate the POTD fans. If we were in the top six now and playing decent football, I suspect we would be seeing well over 10,000 show up for home games paying full price , leaving us only a few thousand empty seats especially after you consider often unused away allocation.

Apr 27, 2009
So how many season ticket holders are there at Argyle roughly ? The reduced rate argument can only really be proved if you know how much you loose on the people that buy one every season regardless of the price.

Aug 22, 2008
Chicago
themightykeithfear":29gxzngi said:
Chicago Green":29gxzngi said:
Bradford have the capacity to deal with it. They have the space to fill up the place with cheap season tickets and still have room to accommodate the POTD fans. If we were in the top six now and playing decent football, I suspect we would be seeing well over 10,000 show up for home games paying full price , leaving us only a few thousand empty seats especially after you consider often unused away allocation.

Don't agree , we're not in the top 6 so an extra 5,000 fans even at reduced season ticket prices would result in substantial on the day extra revenue, parking, programmes, club shop food and drinks, and hopefully fans that would be long term supporters, plus an atmosphere in the ground that may help secure extra points, I think Bradford have an excellent business model and one we should consider.

But when we set prices for season tickets, we couldn't set prices to assume we would be in the bottom 4 and have the spare seats to be creative with.

Bradford have stuck with it after using it as a catalyst to try and get them out of the doldrums. Nobody else has really followed which leads me to think it does not work financially for most clubs. Have Bradford made a rod for their own back and would alienate many fans if they returned to higher priced season tickets if they make it back to the Championship?