Players in and out of contract season 2021/2022 | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Players in and out of contract season 2021/2022

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Of those that are out of contract, I'd try to keep Joe Edwards and Danny Mayor, plus Cleal, Law & Tomlinson. The rest I'd release/send back but my guess is that we'll keep Sawyer and McCormick, for backup/coaching roles. I can see us hanging onto Grant too, which I'm okay with.

At the moment, I can't see a place in the squad for Lolos and expect we'd start next season with the three strikers we currently have under contract - I think he'd do well to drop a league or two, and try to work his way back up again - it feels like it's a really critical moment for his career. I don't know if he's really had enough of a chance at Argyle but maybe that's a sign that perhaps he's better off elsewhere. I guess we'll see in the next two games whether RL sees anything in him or not. Personally I rather we try to get Jephcott back playing the way he was at the start of the season - given his somewhat dire second half of the season, I'd be amazed if we were offered anything like what we're hoping for in January.

I could go either way with both Opoku and Aimson - we've shipped far too many goals, so in many ways I'd rather we start afresh with a whole new back line. Can't help but feel that in losing Canavan we lost our only defensive voice, and we've been missing that ever since. Reeves & Macleod both looked like fantastic, almost marquee, signings but have been blighted by injury - not worth risking another contract there, for me - as a total guess, I'd imagine they're on decent wages too. Even when "fit", they've not really looked particularly effective. Fornah was another I was really excited about, but he's been unbelievably inconsistent.

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
vibratingspider":243zrtsr said:
Reeves & Macleod both looked like fantastic, almost marquee, signings but have been blighted by injury - not worth risking another contract there, for me - as a total guess, I'd imagine they're on decent wages too. Even when "fit", they've not really looked particularly effective. Fornah was another I was really excited about, but he's been unbelievably inconsistent.

If Reeves had started even half the games Mayor has, we'd have scored more goals and conceded fewer.

Part of the issue with Macleod is that he doesn't really fit into RL's style. He's not an out and out CDM like Fornah, but more of a playmaker 'quarterback'. But he's almost exclusively been played in the CDM role and for a 3-5-2, that has left us exposed. The midfield that we've had most of the season - CDM, box-to-box, playmaker - has meant we've been neither fish nor fowl at both ends of the park. I'm convinced we would have been better as a 4-4-1-1, or even 3-1-4-1-1 with DM in a completely free 10 role. That way we could have had the energy of Camara coupled with the touch and creativity of Macleod or Reeves without sacrificing the defensive cover of Fornah or the rare moments of DM genius.

Mar 14, 2009
East End Green":1r23o0yd said:
vibratingspider":1r23o0yd said:
Reeves & Macleod both looked like fantastic, almost marquee, signings but have been blighted by injury - not worth risking another contract there, for me - as a total guess, I'd imagine they're on decent wages too. Even when "fit", they've not really looked particularly effective. Fornah was another I was really excited about, but he's been unbelievably inconsistent.

If Reeves had started even half the games Mayor has, we'd have scored more goals and conceded fewer.

Part of the issue with Macleod is that he doesn't really fit into RL's style. He's not an out and out CDM like Fornah, but more of a playmaker 'quarterback'. But he's almost exclusively been played in the CDM role and for a 3-5-2, that has left us exposed. The midfield that we've had most of the season - CDM, box-to-box, playmaker - has meant we've been neither fish nor fowl at both ends of the park. I'm convinced we would have been better as a 4-4-1-1, or even 3-1-4-1-1 with DM in a completely free 10 role. That way we could have had the energy of Camara coupled with the touch and creativity of Macleod or Reeves without sacrificing the defensive cover of Fornah or the rare moments of DM genius.

Agreed with what you say about DM. Will Lowe adapt next season both with players and formations?

I would keep Danny Mayor if he played him in the no 10 free role or further up the field on the left hand side.

It’s madness asking a guy who isn’t a CM to keep tracking back like a CM. Let him run at people further up the field with no defensive responsibilities. The guy is knackered by the time the second half kicks in.

The knock on effect is then the gapping holes in midfield, which Camara has to end up covering.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
The formation doesn't seem to suit anyone, quite frankly.

I cannot remember an Argyle side being so weak at the back. No leaders at all, and our inexperienced yet gifted keeper desperately needs some protection. We've always had a Wotton/McElhinney/Timar/Heathcote/Cocko/Nelson/Bradley/Jock Morrison type to bring some grit and solidity at the back, but we've got nothing at the moment. I'm not saying I'd put Canavan anywhere near that lot, but I think his departure left us short of options in the second half of the season.

RL just doesn't seem to have a clue about the defensive side of our game. And we're not that great at scoring goals either! :doh:

Dec 30, 2020
An under-appreciated aspect of the good work Ryan Lowe has done this season, is in pulling together pretty much an entire team on the fly, at a higher level than last year.

Of those playing regularly throughout our promotion campaign, we lost Palmer, Sarcevic, Josh Grant, Canavan, Wootton, Sawyer and George Cooper.

We can argue whether that's down to bad luck or bad decision-making. For me, players getting injured or declining to renew contracts is obviously bad luck, while hopefully in the cases of Palmer, Canavan and Wootton we've endured a little short term pain for longer term gain.

But either way, it's clearly very hard to throw a bunch of players together and quickly turn them into a coherent team. Particularly on Argyle's budget when we're looking mainly to speculative punts supplemented by rookies on loan. If this season doesn't prove that, the summer of 2018 certainly does!

For that reason, I very much hope we can hold on to Edwards, Mayor, Aimson and Grant. Together with the players under contract, that would retain the core group who have provided most of our good moments this season.

Even if our summer recruits are a mixture of diamonds and duds - as new signings generally are, at every club - we could then be pretty optimistic of significant improvements next season.

Apr 1, 2009
greenpilled":jf3e6zhw said:
An under-appreciated aspect of the good work Ryan Lowe has done this season, is in pulling together pretty much an entire team on the fly, at a higher level than last year.

Of those playing regularly throughout our promotion campaign, we lost Palmer, Sarcevic, Josh Grant, Canavan, Wootton, Sawyer and George Cooper.

We can argue whether that's down to bad luck or bad decision-making. For me, players getting injured or declining to renew contracts is obviously bad luck, while hopefully in the cases of Palmer, Canavan and Wootton we've endured a little short term pain for longer term gain.

But either way, it's clearly very hard to throw a bunch of players together and quickly turn them into a coherent team. Particularly on Argyle's budget when we're looking mainly to speculative punts supplemented by rookies on loan. If this season doesn't prove that, the summer of 2018 certainly does!

For that reason, I very much hope we can hold on to Edwards, Mayor, Aimson and Grant. Together with the players under contract, that would retain the core group who have provided most of our good moments this season.

Even if our summer recruits are a mixture of diamonds and duds - as new signings generally are, at every club - we could then be pretty optimistic of significant improvements next season.

Why is it bad luck if players decide not to renew their contract? It's something that happens, people get an opportunity that they believe is a better one and move on. The club has to, and the fans should too.

Far too much whining about bad luck goes on.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
This time of year is like a Christmas wish list- we all have our favourite players who we will hope will re-sign & stay but it is there livelihood & our wishes dont come in to it

All i am hoping for is that the players who chose not to re-sign are replaced like for like or as close to like for like-- RL will already know who is leaving for pastures new as if what he said on Saturday is to be believed he already has irons in the fire with regard to recruitment for next season

Hopefully whoever walks through the door will/should improve us

Mar 21, 2006
Josh Grant has just been relegated with Bristol Rovers - I liked him as the holding midfielder when he was here. If he is out of contract maybe he would want to come here and stay in Div 1?

Mar 21, 2006
Just seen that he has a contract until June 2023 - depends whether Barton wants to keep him or not.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
I also watched Klaidi in the youth and thought he had a bit of an attitude problem. I think Ryan Lowe alluded to that (in not so many words) part way through the season. Hopefully they've been working on that part of his game with him.[/quote]

I've seen glimpses of that too, in the limited time I've seen Lolos play. There was a Trophy game against Norwich U21 early in the season, and he got fouled for a penalty. Dom Telford assumed he was going to take it, as presumably the designated taker on the night, and Lolos was having none of it, eventually getting the nod from Schumacher on the bench. Yes, may have been single-minded determination rather than an attitude problem, but I felt it was out of order at the time.
Also, for me, we need a couple of experienced strikers to come in to support (the still very young and raw themselves) Ennis, Hardie and Jephcott. I can see Lolos being released to contribute towards the funding of this. Nouble will obviously be going too.

For what it's worth, I could see the squad shaping up like this next season;

GK : M.Cooper, New recruit, McCormick
RB : New recruit
CB : New recruit, New recruit, New recruit, Aimson, Sawyer, Tomlinson
LB : New recruit, Law
DM : Edwards, New recruit, Randell
CM : Mayor, New recruit, Grant, G.Cooper, Camara
CF : New recruit, Ennis, Hardie, New recruit, Jephcott

McCormick and Sawyer retained as 3rd choice back-ups and because they need to be around the place.

Jul 6, 2009
This season has ultimately been a massive disappointment after some promising runs of performances and results. Our stadium and backroom staff is not set up for a team that only secures 53 points. This club should be on the edge of the playoffs in the first season back at this level, not in danger of relegation. I don't buy into the target being to consolidate in League One.

Mayor needs another flair player in the side with him- he is pure quality and a dream to play with. Carey and Lameiras used to cause havoc when they doubled up. Aimson, Upoku, Watts, Lewis, Fornah, Woods, Moore, MacLeod and Reeves are just not good enough if we are to progress. Oh how we have missed Bakinson this season.

I do like Cooper M, Cooper G, Grant C, Jephcott, Hardie, Ennis, Camara, Edwards. This is an opportunity to sign players on permanent contracts to get us up the league. Lowe still has my backing after a rollercoaster season but the club need to show massive improvement next season.

May 22, 2006
skynet":1bb9p4bv said:
. Oh how we have missed Bakinson this season.

Bakinson is one of the few players who has emerged with any credit this season at Bristol City. Their supporters think he would now have a multi million pound price tag on him and he is set for bigger things.

Their message boards have been very similar to here. Plenty wanting to take the 2,000/1 that they would be relegated and their form has been equally similar to Argyle. The injury time defeat to Wycombe with Akinfenwa scoring a penalty, and yesterday’s defeat to Luton having been 2-0 up and the subsequent comments are incredibly similar to the trials we go through. All players should be moved on and some doubts about Nigel Pearson.

Interesting that Vyner is also reasonably well regarded. Home Park is quite productive for City after Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan. Maybe worth looking at Britton next season as somebody who has scored loads in their younger sides but not getting too close to the first team, or Cundy, defender currently impressing at Gills.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I think this year it's more obvious than ever which players should be retained and which should be released.

In respect of the loanees, I definitely would not sign Woods, Watts or Lewis. Lewis is too raw, Woods too average, Watts has lots of good attributes but defensively isn't L1 standard.

Opoku and Fornah I have a harder time making a decision on.

I think Opoku has some good qualities. He is tough, good in the air, quick and competes well against some good centre forwards. However, he is prone to switching off and he is rash. I still think there is a good enough player in there to make him a worthwhile signing. I think his issues are mental (concentration, decision making) and with good management that can be improved. At the same time, clearing out the Defenders all together and starting fresh would probably be the best idea.

Fornah again has a lot of good qualities in a team that wants to play the way we want to. He's good on the ball and good when pressed, which a lot of our team are not. However, his defensive awareness is lacking and he's not aggressive enough in duels. These are things that improve with age. If he's available on a free, I think he'd be worth signing to compete with Adam Randell. Him taking MacLeod's place in the squad and releasing MacLeod (injury prone) would be a good move in my opinion.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Nobby":2yezm4x7 said:
I think this year it's more obvious than ever which players should be retained and which should be released.

In respect of the loanees, I definitely would not sign Woods, Watts or Lewis. Lewis is too raw, Woods too average, Watts has lots of good attributes but defensively isn't L1 standard.

Opoku and Fornah I have a harder time making a decision on.

I think Opoku has some good qualities. He is tough, good in the air, quick and competes well against some good centre forwards. However, he is prone to switching off and he is rash. I still think there is a good enough player in there to make him a worthwhile signing. I think his issues are mental (concentration, decision making) and with good management that can be improved. At the same time, clearing out the Defenders all together and starting fresh would probably be the best idea.

Fornah again has a lot of good qualities in a team that wants to play the way we want to. He's good on the ball and good when pressed, which a lot of our team are not. However, his defensive awareness is lacking and he's not aggressive enough in duels. These are things that improve with age. If he's available on a free, I think he'd be worth signing to compete with Adam Randell. Him taking MacLeod's place in the squad and releasing MacLeod (injury prone) would be a good move in my opinion.

I agree with a lot of this, Nobby, particularly the last paragraph. I actually prefer Woods to Opoku as it stands but both have different weaknesses and strengths. I think that both need to go to develop at other clubs whilst we need to get in more experience (as most of us have been saying for quite a while!).