Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Friday 19 April | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Friday 19 April

Jun 27, 2019
I'm not convinced about the merits of putting kids in the limelight at 10 years old.
There is no limelight. It's just like being in a normal grassroots team, except you're playing with and against much better players.

If you're talking about this particular kid being mentioned in a news article then I do see where you're coming from. However, this is the kid's big moment and he won't be mentioned on the OS again unless he makes it as a pro so it's all pretty harmless.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
I'm not convinced about the merits of putting kids in the limelight at 10 years old.
I don’t think it’s ‘limelight’ as much as introducing a more professional approach throughout the club. I suspect this is done in the Premier league. Argyle are becoming a lot more savvy. This approach makes the club more attractive to players and their families.

Reactions: SurreyJanner
Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I am sure the Academy Manager is sufficiently sensitive in his dealings with these lads to ensure they have not gone away from their individual interviews over their 'step up' with the mistaken thought that they are now dead certs at being future First X1 players at Argyle. They will be made aware of the need for commitment, fitness and hard work in the years ahead.
I wish these young guys all good luck.

May 22, 2006
The Argyle podcast episode 140 with Bojan Djordjic ... club website.

This is the best podcast I've heard. Bojan speaks fantastically well. He gets football, he gets Plymouth and he gets a sense of proportion of the important things.

Wishful thinking but would be good to get him involved with Argyle again, either behind the scenes or the media side. He has a media career in Sweden now and you can tell why. Communicates well and very professionally.

Jun 27, 2019
Not at 10 years old though!
If you think 10 is young, most kids are actually scouted and brought into pre-academies at six years old. The best ones even younger than that.

I can see the argument that it's too much too soon, but I also believe that talented young footballers will develop much faster if they're receiving the best training at the best facilities, and playing with and against the best players.

The 'limelight' will only be damaging if a child's parents allow it to be. It's fairly easy to keep your child's feet on the ground and make them realise the chance of them ending up with a professional contract is vanishingly small. However, it's just as easy to make your child believe they're a superstar in the making.

There's a 10-year-old at Wolves who is 'Instagram famous'. His parents have somehow got him a sponsorship arrangement with Adidas and he does fashion shoots with clothing companies that generate thousands of likes on Insta and no doubt a decent wedge for his folks. His elaborate hairstyle must take someone hours to prepare. My son's team beat his 10-3 recently and this lad was absolutely rubbish. Yet he's been made to believe that he's something special by his parents and he swanned around the pitch like he was above everyone else. The fall will be hard for him when it comes but it won't be his fault.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
The Argyle podcast episode 140 with Bojan Djordjic ... club website.

This is the best podcast I've heard. Bojan speaks fantastically well. He gets football, he gets Plymouth and he gets a sense of proportion of the important things.

Wishful thinking but would be good to get him involved with Argyle again, either behind the scenes or the media side. He has a media career in Sweden now and you can tell why. Communicates well and very professionally.
Yes, an excellent listen. I was living away from Plymouth for most of his time with Argyle and I missed out on many of the things he discussed. A fascinating insight and well worth listening to.