Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Monday 3 May | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Monday 3 May

Ray Stidwell

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
JannerinCardiff":2qezknbt said:
oldage":2qezknbt said:
demportdave":2qezknbt said:
oddball":2qezknbt said:
You are comparing Oranges with Lemons here.....not only different leagues....but different budgets..different times....league one for example is now a very difficult league to get out of ...whereas in Sturrocks time I would say it was not....
You are quite right to say it is different times, etc. but remember, we were better than the likes of QPR, Bristol City, Luton Town and Sheffield Wednesday under Sturrock Mark 1 at this level.

But some of the principles are still the same.

You are unlikely to have the budget to be able to put a team together who can play like 1970 Brazil - if they score 3, we will score 4 - playing a supposedly attractive and entertaining style of football but with too many players bombing forward, leaving you wide open and vulnerable to the counter.

However, if you adopt a pragmatic style of play more suited to this level, with a reasonable budget you can still put together a team to play with shape and discipline who will be more difficult to beat and more competitive; they would probably be more entertaining to watch as well. Watching Argyle has been hard work for much of this season.

If Lowe has learnt anything this season, it is surely that Argyle are never going to pass their way out of League 1 with walking pace, sideways and backwards football that all too often, breaks down in the final third and exposes us to counter attacks that have punished us so many times.

Perhaps Iā€™m in the minority but I believe Lowe WILL get us into the championship playing an entertaining style of football.
Not a chance based on his performance to date.

I think weā€™ll see a vast improvement in defence for the 2021-22 season personally. The good thing is that decent defenders are cheaper than decent strikers/creative players.

Iā€™m with you in that minority JiC, & happy to trust in those whoā€™re better positioned & better informed than I am and of course paid to do so.
Simple & lazy maybe, but Iā€™m happy to sit back & enjoy the ride, given I see much more prospect of successful fruition & entertainment than I have under many regimes.
I donā€™t care about being labelled Green-tinted either, whatever that means, nor being overly patient; I ā€˜m certainly passionate & eager for success & enjoyment.