Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Thursday 24 September | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Thursday 24 September

Sep 6, 2006
Quintrell_Green":l15jg4tc said:
Balham_Green":l15jg4tc said:
Quintrell_Green":l15jg4tc said:
Daz":l15jg4tc said:
jimsing":l15jg4tc said:
He has failed to recognise that the return of fans to a stadium is only part of the problem. The government are also taking into account into the dangers involved in how the fans will get to and from the stadium, which has completely passed the Colchester Chairman, as if he has no responsibility towards his supporters outside of the football stadium.

Football Clubs are in good hands, eh?!!!

What dangers are there of getting to a stadium that are worse than 300 people siting on a plane for 6 hours?

I should imagine 2700 if the crowd mentioned above is 3000 at a match. The odds of contagion will increase. Having seen a percentage of tourists in both St Ives and Newquay giving scant respect this summer to social distancing as they walk about I reckon the likelihood of further spiking will increase. The guys who do the number crunching on behalf of HM Gov will probably know better.

How do you know they were tourists? Has there been a spike in St. Ives and Newquay? Not that I'm aware. A lot of nonsense over the Summer about folk crowding on beaches and spreading the virus.
The last wave lasted 3 months approx I think. Perhaps in another 3 months things may change.

They were wearing silly hats, flip flops T-Shirts, kids carried buckets and spades. They also did not speak with Cornish accents. We are normally quite astute at spotting tourists. Contagion figures in Cornwall has increased over recent weeks by over 250% according to press reports.

They have in most paces. So local people do not wear T shirts, carry buckets and spades? :facepalm:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Balham_Green":zt1sv04z said:
Quintrell_Green":zt1sv04z said:
Balham_Green":zt1sv04z said:
Quintrell_Green":zt1sv04z said:
Daz":zt1sv04z said:
jimsing":zt1sv04z said:
He has failed to recognise that the return of fans to a stadium is only part of the problem. The government are also taking into account into the dangers involved in how the fans will get to and from the stadium, which has completely passed the Colchester Chairman, as if he has no responsibility towards his supporters outside of the football stadium.

What dangers are there of getting to a stadium that are worse than 300 people siting on a plane for 6 hours?

I should imagine 2700 if the crowd mentioned above is 3000 at a match. The odds of contagion will increase. Having seen a percentage of tourists in both St Ives and Newquay giving scant respect this summer to social distancing as they walk about I reckon the likelihood of further spiking will increase. The guys who do the number crunching on behalf of HM Gov will probably know better.

How do you know they were tourists? Has there been a spike in St. Ives and Newquay? Not that I'm aware. A lot of nonsense over the Summer about folk crowding on beaches and spreading the virus.
The last wave lasted 3 months approx I think. Perhaps in another 3 months things may change.

They were wearing silly hats, flip flops T-Shirts, kids carried buckets and spades. They also did not speak with Cornish accents. We are normally quite astute at spotting tourists. Contagion figures in Cornwall has increased over recent weeks by over 250% according to press reports.

They have in most paces. So local people do not wear T shirts, carry buckets and spades? :facepalm:

I go to Cornwall a fair amount: 'Cornish accents' are few and far between in the 'locals' that I meet.
Lancashire accent is fairly common down there mind.
Mind you, I mostly visit coastal sites, most 'locals' live inland up to their necks in flooded claypits or trying to climb out of old mines. :whistle:

Jul 12, 2016
Balham_Green":3fqulhc5 said:
Quintrell_Green":3fqulhc5 said:
Daz":3fqulhc5 said:
jimsing":3fqulhc5 said:

Not an unexpected response from you.The number of cases in Cornwall has shot up in recent days and I am fed up with reports of visitors who when challenged for not wearing a face covering say they have come on holiday to" forget all that rubbish" You may want to carry on playing Russian roulette with your health but think of others for a change.

Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
Argyle already have the income from season ticket sales with out the added cost of running the stadium on a match day. Granted those season ticket holders are not buying programmes, food etc.

To make crowds viable there must be a target figure of spectators plus spending money on food etc to make a profit. I am guessing it will be in excess of our current season ticket numbers.

Sep 6, 2006
oldage":x8qgknfx said:
Balham_Green":x8qgknfx said:
Quintrell_Green":x8qgknfx said:
Daz":x8qgknfx said:
jimsing":x8qgknfx said:

Not an unexpected response from you.The number of cases in Cornwall has shot up in recent days and I am fed up with reports of visitors who when challenged for not wearing a face covering say they have come on holiday to" forget all that rubbish" You may want to carry on playing Russian roulette with your health but think of others for a change.

No need for your holier than thou attitude as if you are the only one 'who thinks of others' or your statement that I don't. The cases have shot up everywhere not just in Cornwall so the reason is unlikely to be tourists on the beach (or anywhere else) in August. Not the first time you cant or are unwilling to see the point though.

Feb 8, 2005
Just as an aside, it has been reported that Business Rescue Experts have crunched the numbers, and worked out an estimate of how much every League One club could lose in match day revenue, on average, in every home game this season - with factors including stadium capacity, pint price and average ticket cost.

Sunderland £909,563
Ipswich Town £690,079
Portsmouth £605,336
Charlton Athletic £603,570
Hull City £445,945
PAFC £314,140
Wigan £310,873
Lincoln £301,930
MKDons £298,646
Doncaster £254,162
Peterbrough £247,788
Blackpool £245,560
Oxford Utd £232,898
Swindon Town £226,699
Bristol Rovers £212,294
Shrewsbury £177,307
Rochdale £112,592
Burton Albion £87,480
Fleetwood £86,735
Accrington Stanley £82,998

Quite a differential, but I don't think this includes any iFollow money.

Who'd be a Football Club owner with these kind of losses?

Apr 1, 2009
jimsing":2g6sla0z said:
Just as an aside, it has been reported that Business Rescue Experts have crunched the numbers, and worked out an estimate of how much every League One club could lose in match day revenue, on average, in every home game this season - with factors including stadium capacity, pint price and average ticket cost.

Sunderland £909,563
Ipswich Town £690,079
Portsmouth £605,336
Charlton Athletic £603,570
Hull City £445,945
PAFC £314,140
Wigan £310,873
Lincoln £301,930
MKDons £298,646
Doncaster £254,162
Peterbrough £247,788
Blackpool £245,560
Oxford Utd £232,898
Swindon Town £226,699
Bristol Rovers £212,294
Shrewsbury £177,307
Rochdale £112,592
Burton Albion £87,480
Fleetwood £86,735
Accrington Stanley £82,998

Quite a differential, but I don't think this includes any iFollow money.

Who'd be a Football Club owner with these kind of losses?

Huge figures certainly, but as it presumably doesn't include the ST renewal income that Argyle have had it has limited relevance in terms of accuracy. Do Argyle really average a £30 per head spend across the entire crowd?

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
chichestergreen":1i2yqe52 said:
Its really simple we all dislike these draconian rules including the rule makers, and yes their are loads of mixed messages. This happens well trying to protect lives and the economy, however we have to try to abide by the rules or the vulnerable in our society are going to die, end of.

Unless they shield themselves of course.

Jul 12, 2016
:nworthy:
Balham_Green":156oac0n said:
oldage":156oac0n said:
Balham_Green":156oac0n said:
Quintrell_Green":156oac0n said:
Daz":156oac0n said:
jimsing":156oac0n said:

No need for your holier than thou attitude as if you are the only one 'who thinks of others' or your statement that I don't. The cases have shot up everywhere not just in Cornwall so the reason is unlikely to be tourists on the beach (or anywhere else) in August. Not the first time you cant or are unwilling to see the point though.
Not holier than thou but in this case better qualified to comment being born and bred in Cornwall and aware of the number of visitors showing scant regard for social distancing.You made a statement "A lot of nonsense over the Summer about folk crowding on beaches and spreading the virus" You have no idea how many were or are affected but not showing any
symptoms. As I said before it is not fair to gamble with your health when it could affect others.

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
ghost of hughie reed":w9ppj0jh said:
chichestergreen":w9ppj0jh said:
Its really simple we all dislike these draconian rules including the rule makers, and yes their are loads of mixed messages. This happens well trying to protect lives and the economy, however we have to try to abide by the rules or the vulnerable in our society are going to die, end of.[/quote]

Unless they shield themselves of course.

:facepalm:

Feb 10, 2019
jimsing":113cx5b3 said:
Martyn":113cx5b3 said:
Martyn":113cx5b3 said:
The same dangers as getting to the pub, restaurant, airport, walking to the plane, getting on a bus.

To suspend the ‘trial’, games is absurd.

For example Argyle can easily cope with 1,000, 2,000 3,000. Rowd at Home Park now, with social distancing.

I'm not so sure that coping with crowds of these proportions are as easy as you make out.

Social distancing is easily said, but not so easily put into operation. It requires the co-operation of the customer in the first place, and although the average football fan would happily concede to any restrictions placed on them whilst in the ground there will always be a small proportion of those that will be too impulsive, too selfish, too rebellious to comply with the restrictions that would be placed on them.

Social distancing inside and outside the ground would not be easy.

The queues when getting into the ground would require better planning. The mere fact of establishing seating areas for those that attend the game would need planning. People will be more liable to shouting and therefore the crowd will need to distance by more than 1 metre to avoid the water droplets from them fall on others. Finding ways of allowing people to visit the privvy during the game. Establishing a method of exiting the stadium at the end of the match. We all know of those that cannot wait to get away before the match finishes.

Just a few of the complications that arise from allowing crowds into the stadia. Probably would not be too much of a problem at the beginning, but as the crowds were allowed to increase the difficulties in safe distancing at all times would also increase.

I'm not saying that it would be impossible, but maybe impractical is the correct word to use. We are all aware of the numpties that refuse to sit down in their seats that create problems for the Club. How do you think they would react to the new restrictions that were placed upon them?

Although I think the EFL would be the guiding force in these matters and would create general guidelines that Clubs would have to abide by, each Club has a health & safety responsibility and would have to create their own regulations and ensure strict adherence, and also create the means of enforcing such regulations, another headache for the Club to deal with.

Not impossible, but not easy either.

This is about right. Desperate as I am to get back to Home Park, you can understand the logic of the decision making. In ‘normal’ days, there were plenty of people who failed to follow the rules of the ground. Those who insisted on standing throughout the game, those who left the Lyndhurst early only to stand at the bottom to watch the last few minutes, those who created when they were not allowed to exit the way they wanted to. In itself, hardly more than irritating but given the consequences now, it is understandable if the powers that be deem us to not be trusted to follow the Covid guidelines.