Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Tuesday 26 January | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Tuesday 26 January

Oct 5, 2013
WoodsyGreen":24dhhmyc said:
999mattyg":24dhhmyc said:
WoodsyGreen":24dhhmyc said:
If only they'd spent that £2.7m on players we might have ended up finally making the top flight.

For one season before crashing out of existence! We were massively overspending already to get to that level in the Championship and the ‘knock on’ from that was eventual administration!
We need sustainable development and owning the ground was part of that vision.

Owning the ground really helped us become sustainable didn't it!

What ever does your comment mean?

Nov 11, 2012
Keyham
Just watched the 2 seasons of Sunderland till I die on Netflix and it shows alot about football finance. The new owners trying to balance the books while still trying to have success on the field and the fans demanding for more.

Jun 27, 2019
philevs":1vkxh7w7 said:
WoodsyGreen":1vkxh7w7 said:
999mattyg":1vkxh7w7 said:
WoodsyGreen":1vkxh7w7 said:
If only they'd spent that £2.7m on players we might have ended up finally making the top flight.

For one season before crashing out of existence! We were massively overspending already to get to that level in the Championship and the ‘knock on’ from that was eventual administration!

We went into administration. Have you blocked that memory out of your mind?!

Oct 5, 2013
WoodsyGreen":cdvwtwrr said:
philevs":cdvwtwrr said:
999mattyg":cdvwtwrr said:

We went into administration. Have you blocked that memory out of your mind?!

OK, now I understand. You were talking about in the short term.
On the other hand in the longer term, it certainly made Argyle a viable proposition for a new owner, who is now steering us on the course to becoming sustainable.
So for me it was a great move to own Home Park outright.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
PL2 3DQ":8bzf78dg said:
Herts_Green":8bzf78dg said:
In fairness we weren’t much different to most championship clubs in making big losses - unlike others though we didn’t have a wealthy benefactor to keep underwriting those losses.

I’m not even sure it was about buying additional players at that time. If we could have just spent a bit more to improve the wages of players like Norris and Buzsaky maybe we could have kept that team together and gone up. I guess we will never know!

The last published accounts before we went into administration showed we were paying 87% of income on wages.
It was player wages that played a huge part in our financial downfall.

Those were the days when we were paying mega mega bucks as wages to a would-be Belgian international, who felt himself too unfit to play for much of the time he was at Argyle. Luggy tells a lovely story in his autobiography of another physical reason why the same guy could not play in one game!

Apr 1, 2009
Mike Charlick":1uqnnqjn said:
We've done well out Bristol City's academy down the years. Bobby Reid now regular for Fulham, Bakinson & Vyner now Championship players.

Joe Bryan too.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Quintrell_Green":172tiwv6 said:
PL2 3DQ":172tiwv6 said:
Herts_Green":172tiwv6 said:
In fairness we weren’t much different to most championship clubs in making big losses - unlike others though we didn’t have a wealthy benefactor to keep underwriting those losses.

I’m not even sure it was about buying additional players at that time. If we could have just spent a bit more to improve the wages of players like Norris and Buzsaky maybe we could have kept that team together and gone up. I guess we will never know!

The last published accounts before we went into administration showed we were paying 87% of income on wages.
It was player wages that played a huge part in our financial downfall.

Those were the days when we were paying mega mega bucks as wages to a would-be Belgian international, who felt himself too unfit to play for much of the time he was at Argyle. Luggy tells a lovely story in his autobiography of another physical reason why the same guy could not play in one game!

I always say we should have erected a statue of Emile outside Home Park QG. :)