Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Wednesday 30 December | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Wednesday 30 December

Oct 5, 2013
BiggleswadeGreen":23e4a4hb said:
oddball":23e4a4hb said:
Argyle have quite a large coaching staff and a DOF....bout time they sorted things out....
I did find it quite perplexing why a New Goalkeeping coach was employed when the vastly experienced Luke Mcormick was already around.
Having playing goal keeping coach who knows the club inside out surely would have made economical and sporting sense.

Very good point

Apr 1, 2009
BiggleswadeGreen":75ixfqr0 said:
oddball":75ixfqr0 said:
Argyle have quite a large coaching staff and a DOF....bout time they sorted things out....
I did find it quite perplexing why a New Goalkeeping coach was employed when the vastly experienced Luke Mcormick was already around.
Having playing goal keeping coach who knows the club inside out surely would have made economical and sporting sense.

Is Luke McCormick a goal keeping coach? If he is, did he want the job?

Always find this "knows the club inside out" stuff a bit tedious. Essentially it seems to mean "jobs for the boys" . Why does someone need to know the club inside out in order to be the optimum goalkeeping coach? I presume you are saying that he would carry on doing things the way they have always been done at the club. Perhaps doing something different was what was needed.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
oddball":3890hex5 said:

But do they have a defensive coach Alf?

Oct 4, 2016
xmastree":j1u5wg95 said:
BiggleswadeGreen":j1u5wg95 said:
oddball":j1u5wg95 said:

Always find this "knows the club inside out" stuff a bit tedious. Essentially it seems to mean "jobs for the boys" . Why does someone need to know the club inside out in order to be the optimum goalkeeping coach? I presume you are saying that he would carry on doing things the way they have always been done at the club. Perhaps doing something different was what was needed.

Perhaps I should clarify inside and out, it was a lazy way of saying a player like Luke, who has played at PAFC for a lengthy period and has played elsewhere. Should have said...
Would have an understanding of the pros and cons of playing, living, attracting other players to the area, the travelling times involved to away games and its affect on performance. What is required for promotions up to the championship level. Behaviour off the pitch and it’s consequences. Coming back to a club previously you had success with and left. Keeping your level up over many years. Communication with defence.
Can I go on..

Perhaps I should have been brief and said “knows the club, how to perform to Championship level
inside and out.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
philevs":xkgz9pxi said:
oldage":xkgz9pxi said:
Herts_Green":xkgz9pxi said:
oldage":xkgz9pxi said:
The Doctor":xkgz9pxi said:
Knibbsworth":xkgz9pxi said:
How does this happen every single game?

We should probably look at the opposition and not ourselves for the root of the answer.
What a strange thing to say! We are the common denominator in all games ,the opposition are glad to accept our gifts.Our play is so predictable that's why this happens every single game.
But that doesn’t make sense surely? If we were that predictable we wouldnt be so good in the first half of games, other teams would know how to play against us from the start.
Opposition manager sees that we are actually sticking to our plan A and sets up second half to overcome it

Yes. The only conclusion would seem to be that opposing coaching teams figure out how to counteract us during the first half, then make changes at half-time which catch us by surprise; our coaches then either do not have time to adjust to the opposition’s new strategy, or do not know how to.
Is this not the logical explanation for the staggering difference in our 1st and 2nd half performances?

A big difference in the standard between Lg2 and 1 is that coaches (and their players) are able to analyse the opposition and alter their game plan/formation appropriately during the match. This happens to Argyle just about every game, and we don't seem able to adapt ourselves. I don't think that we are far away from being a competitive lg1 side, but we do need to change our gameplan according to circumstances.

Returnofthepob

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Aug 20, 2015
philevs":3r173kax said:
oldage":3r173kax said:
Herts_Green":3r173kax said:
oldage":3r173kax said:
The Doctor":3r173kax said:
Knibbsworth":3r173kax said:
How does this happen every single game?

We should probably look at the opposition and not ourselves for the root of the answer.
What a strange thing to say! We are the common denominator in all games ,the opposition are glad to accept our gifts.Our play is so predictable that's why this happens every single game.
But that doesn’t make sense surely? If we were that predictable we wouldnt be so good in the first half of games, other teams would know how to play against us from the start.
Opposition manager sees that we are actually sticking to our plan A and sets up second half to overcome it

Yes. The only conclusion would seem to be that opposing coaching teams figure out how to counteract us during the first half, then make changes at half-time which catch us by surprise; our coaches then either do not have time to adjust to the opposition’s new strategy, or do not know how to.
Is this not the logical explanation for the staggering difference in our 1st and 2nd half performances?

If this is true, there’s a very simple solution.

Go out and play deliberately average first half, but look to maintain clean sheet (yeah that’s the flaw in my plan - I know)

Then start 2nd half like we would normally start the first. Smash in 2 goals and look to hold on for last 15 mins!

:scarf: :oops:

leeroy221

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
May 10, 2015
Perhaps this is the oppositions game plan, let Argyle 'play' for the first 30 minutes, knowing they will be passing it around a lot and running, after 30 mins or so of letting Argyle pass it about, the opposition step it up a gear and get going by putting the pressure onto us. This puts the pressure ob the Argyle players who thought they were having an easy day at the office. By this time they have made the same passes over and over, ran out of steam and dont know what to do. Just a thought.

Oct 5, 2013
Returnofthepob":1nrbsp2x said:
philevs":1nrbsp2x said:

If this is true, there’s a very simple solution.

Go out and play deliberately average first half, but look to maintain clean sheet (yeah that’s the flaw in my plan - I know)

Then start 2nd half like we would normally start the first. Smash in 2 goals and look to hold on for last 15 mins!

:scarf: :oops:

Brilliant, can’t be disputed!

Oct 5, 2013
leeroy221":splm2r0v said:
Perhaps this is the oppositions game plan, let Argyle 'play' for the first 30 minutes, knowing they will be passing it around a lot and running, after 30 mins or so of letting Argyle pass it about, the opposition step it up a gear and get going by putting the pressure onto us. This puts the pressure ob the Argyle players who thought they were having an easy day at the office. By this time they have made the same passes over and over, ran out of steam and dont know what to do. Just a thought.

Think you could be onto something here.

Sep 6, 2006
leeroy221":28hpok40 said:

What load of nonsense

Apr 1, 2009
BiggleswadeGreen":3730ml28 said:
xmastree":3730ml28 said:
BiggleswadeGreen":3730ml28 said:
oddball":3730ml28 said:

Perhaps I should clarify inside and out, it was a lazy way of saying a player like Luke, who has played at PAFC for a lengthy period and has played elsewhere. Should have said...
Would have an understanding of the pros and cons of playing, living, attracting other players to the area, the travelling times involved to away games and its affect on performance. What is required for promotions up to the championship level. Behaviour off the pitch and it’s consequences. Coming back to a club previously you had success with and left. Keeping your level up over many years. Communication with defence.
Can I go on..

Perhaps I should have been brief and said “knows the club, how to perform to Championship level
inside and out.

Yes, I get all the points about L McC as a senior pro, which are totally valid. The bit you don't answer is whether he's a coach, and whether he wants to be our g/k coach. Maybe you don't know the answers - I don't.

I would like to think that for any coaching role that we employ the best available coach, subject to the individual concerned meeting certain obvious criteria, like being within budget. I'm not averse to L McC being our g/k coach if he's the best available - but I am against it if he gets the job purely because he's a nice bloke to have around, and he's been loyal to the club.

At present the re-employment of Luke is in danger of falling between two stools. He's not required in a formal coaching capacity (though will certainly provide wisdom to M Cooper), and I question whether he is good enough as a keeper to be number 1 if the youngster can't handle it. Luke wasn't great when last in L1 3 years ago and was consequently released by Adams - nevertheless an error on the manager's part given the performances of the hapless Macey.

leeroy221

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
May 10, 2015
Balham_Green":a58rgrs3 said:
leeroy221":a58rgrs3 said:

What load of nonsense

You never known a team to sit back and soak up the pressure? Then implement their game plan when it suits?

Oct 5, 2013
leeroy221":qyz6p9h9 said:
Balham_Green":qyz6p9h9 said:
leeroy221":qyz6p9h9 said:

What load of nonsense

You never known a team to sit back and soak up the pressure? Then implement their game plan when it suits?

Well I have, although the other contributor apparently hasn’t!