Plymouth Argyle v Mansfield - the build up | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle v Mansfield - the build up

One of the most interesting decisions I ever saw was at Watford in the early seventies. A Watford player sent an easy back pass to his keeper, no opposing team player anywhere near. It managed to clip the ref’s heel and over the goalkeeper’s head for a goal. Surprise surprise two minutes later he gave a penalty to Watford where clearly no foul had been committed. To the credit of the other team, no-one complained, and the game continued at 1-1.

May 22, 2006
FGR are having a minutes applause to remember Chris Barker before their game.

Chris was a good for us when we were struggling. Would be good to do likewise.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
davie nine":da8bpbzf said:
justanotherfan":da8bpbzf said:
Martyn":da8bpbzf said:
davie nine":da8bpbzf said:
Martyn":da8bpbzf said:
As a big supporter of referees, as people know.

We have Trevor Kettle on Saturday, be prepared for the absolute bizarre, his track record, is plenty of yellows and red, penalties. Etc.

Not one of the best refs.
Will he get a 10, regardless of performance, Martyn?
j

I have always said, the score is totally irrelevant, it couldn’t care a flying fig, doesn’t matter whether a refs gets 0 or 1,000,000.

It is only a mark, from spectators.

What I care about is the decisions they make.

Or equally the decisions they fail to make.
His most notorious decision was in a game between Wimbledon and Accrington. 0-0, almost half-time, Accrington player shoots from about 10 yards and Kettle manages to blow for half-time while the ball is in transit to the back of the net.
I seem to recall a similar decision involving Clive (“I’m the main man”) Thomas in an international match.

I believe the Accy decision resulted in them not making the playoffs that season.

Aug 28, 2015
argyle.life
We spoke to Mansfield Matters ahead of the game...

Opposition View: Plymouth Argyle v Mansfield

"The festive period hasn’t been kind to Graham who has a massive job on his hands. He comes across really well and I’ve been impressed with his attitude and approach which is essentially improve or else… so expect numerous changes in the summer! I was worried by his lack of experience in management and still am, but I’ve seen much more promise and believe that if we can scrape through and survive, next season will be far better."

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
GreenAdam17":3fe1cdsw said:
We spoke to Mansfield Matters ahead of the game...

Opposition View: Plymouth Argyle v Mansfield

"The festive period hasn’t been kind to Graham who has a massive job on his hands. He comes across really well and I’ve been impressed with his attitude and approach which is essentially improve or else… so expect numerous changes in the summer! I was worried by his lack of experience in management and still am, but I’ve seen much more promise and believe that if we can scrape through and survive, next season will be far better."

Thanks for this, one of my favourite parts of the build up to a game.

Mar 25, 2007
Got dragged to FGR v Mansfield earlier in the season, based on that match I would expect Mansfield to be very physical, close to the edge of rugby. It worked against the vegans who blew a 2-0 lead to draw, persistence and bullying paid off. A card happy ref might be a good thing against this lot.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Site Manager":1hhijk3o said:
The half time guest is former Argyle winger Aiden Maher.

Excellent news! Last I heard (on this site) was that Aiden was in hospital.

He's someone I watched as a lad and later found him as the landlord of my local. He retired from running pubs a long time back.