Plymouth Live Comments Function | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Live Comments Function

Mar 11, 2018
Reach announced a load of redundancies recently due to Covid, so moderating comment sections will definitely not be a priority any more - if it ever was.

Yes, indeed. Moderating has never been a priority with news websites, it's all been about demonstrating that they are in touch with and responsive to readers, generating clicks and harvesting information about the commenters for targeted advertising. So a step back, perhaps because of the increased pressure on media platforms to control what is said on them.

I wonder if PASOTI will see more traffic from ex-PL serial commenters suffering from relevance deprivation syndrome!

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Antipodean":20ae3zwj said:
Reach announced a load of redundancies recently due to Covid, so moderating comment sections will definitely not be a priority any more - if it ever was.

Yes, indeed. Moderating has never been a priority with news websites, it's all been about demonstrating that they are in touch with and responsive to readers, generating clicks and harvesting information about the commenters for targeted advertising. So a step back, perhaps because of the increased pressure on media platforms to control what is said on them.

I wonder if PASOTI will see more traffic from ex-PL serial commenters suffering from relevance deprivation syndrome!
Let's hope not.
Other forums are available for them types. :cool:

May 21, 2015
to be fair if you can stay on the site long enough - having negotiated the endless pop ups, adverts and click bait non-articles - to get to and read any comments, you are a more patient person than I!

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Jul 14, 2008
tandark":2okyknqb said:
to be fair if you can stay on the site long enough - having negotiated the endless pop ups, adverts and click bait non-articles - to get to and read any comments, you are a more patient person than I!
Just download the app

Mar 11, 2018
Keepitgreen":136c7p78 said:
The Doctor":136c7p78 said:
It’s shame - the comments are mostly really inane, offensive or highly politically charged but I WAS looking forward to reading the comments from Adam’s wife/girlfriend/mates about this story: https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/p ... ng-4415460
Here you go Doc:

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/p ... ow-4425291

Right, so now we know what is going on. Obviously prompted by previous problems, a "new and improved comments section" has now arrived (without, it seems, previously informing people that the old one had been suspended). So,it looks like you'll have to sign up to the app to be part of 'The Conversation'.

I think that I have only felt moved to comment once but I do read them. I haven't signed on as yet but have seen some comments on the new comments system (!), although nothing on Argyle stories as yet. So I assume that you don't need to sign up to read them as opposed to comment on them. We'll see - but the main mystery is solved, although it wouldn't have been one at all if PL had kept its 'valued readers' up to date with its plans.

Mar 11, 2018
By way of an update, I notice that there are far fewer PL Argyle-related comments at present. Maybe it'll warm up when the season proper starts.