Positive thoughts | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Positive thoughts

Jan 21, 2007
I suspect whoever made that comment has never played competitive sport,, apart from there arm chair.
So, weirdly, you think that anyone that has played competitive sport will never have confidence prior to a match? ... they never have a positive feeling that they will do well?

In sport, business, or life in general, people that go into situations with confidence (a feeling that they will do well) generally do better than those who expect to lose. There's a whole industry built on positive thinking, the best managers install confidence in their teams, and sports psychologists have become as important as star players on the pitch. So, I would guess that if you asked the Argyle players, and coaching staff, if they had a good feeling about playing Millwall away on Saturday, most, if not all, would say that they have a good feeling that they will do well; that's how people who play competitive sport think.

I also have a feeling that we will be ok on Saturday, I also think we'll be fine against Hull on May the 4th as well ... and if you need more substance to this "feeling", it's based on N&D being a million times better than Foster at installing confidence in the squad in general, but also because we've got a few good players to equal what Millwall have, but in Whattaker, more than anyone else, I reckon there's a performance coming ... the best players tend to do it when it's most needed ... and he's one of the best players I've ever seen in a green shirt.

Reactions: saxman

Butternubs

Jam First
Nov 4, 2021
Plymouth
Lets not get too despondant, we are still in a very good position with survival well and truly in our hands. This is how i see the seqson panning out (i hope im correct in that we survive):

Argyle fixtures/ predicted results:

Millwall (A) - 0 pts
Hull (H) - 1pts

Finish 49 pts

Huddersfield fixtures/ predicted results:
Bham (H) 3 pts
Ipswich (A) 0pts

Finish 47 pts

Shef wed fixtures/ predicted results:

WBA (H) 1 pts
Sunderland (A) 3 pts

Finish 51 pts

Birmingham fixtures/ predicted results:
Huddersfield (a) 0 pts
Norwich (H) 1 pt

Finish 47 pts

Blackburn fixtures/ predicted results:
Coventry (H) 0 pts
Leicester (A) 0 pts

FInish 49 pts

Therefore with our superior goal difference i think 1 point does it for us. A win on saturday would be massive. If im Argyle manager i would go ultra safe/ pragmatic knowing 1 point or better probably keeps us up!
We need to win both of our remaining games.

Jul 12, 2016
If we have anything about us we’d mange the game on Saturday against a limited team with nothing to play for. I just don’t think we’re capable of setting out to stifle and battle our way to a point. We’re too nice, too vulnerable against set pieces.
I said it January / February time that I couldn’t see us going to Huddersfield, Wednesday, Stoke or Millwall and winning. Right so far, hope they prove me wrong at the last opportunity
A limited team who beat us easily at HP . Anybody who thinks they will just roll over on Saturday is delusional. Don’t forget the pressure is off them.

Jul 12, 2016
My concern with Argyle for a large part of season is the obsession with having to play three 4 passes out of the back through MF to strikers. We need to use wingers more for me Mumba on left and Bundu on the right to.tale it up the flanks, and play the angled ball across the penalty area, Waine will get the position to capitalise.
This style of football has been ingrained in us since Lowe was in charge.

It's one of those grounds that historically we don't do too badly at (famously ending their 59 game unbeaten home record in 1967.
The same couldn't be said for Stoke.

The older I'm getting, the more I'm mindful of these weird, unexplainable scenarios.

I can feel a point coming.

Reactions: Argyle1968
Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
It's one of those grounds that historically we don't do too badly at (famously ending their 59 game unbeaten home record in 1967.
The same couldn't be said for Stoke.

The older I'm getting, the more I'm mindful of these weird, unexplainable scenarios.

I can feel a point coming.
1967 was at the old Den.

Sep 28, 2022
Here, s a positive thought, the summer break gives us the possibility of a total overhaul of the squad with a new manager at the helm. Get rid of injury plagued players, either sell or release, get rid of showponies, ie Calum Wright and every retained or signed player has to sign or renew their contracts for a term of three years. A solid basis on which to rebuild the playing staff. Off the field we have building blocks in place, eg Brickfields etc, on the pitch it's chaos. Time to address that situation, over to you Mr Hallett. Coygs!!

Jul 18, 2011
A limited team who beat us easily at HP . Anybody who thinks they will just roll over on Saturday is delusional. Don’t forget the pressure is off them.
Beat us easily? They were efficient but that was all. We had 66% possession, 21 shots against their 9, with 6 on target against their 3. Also, their final goal should have been chalked off which even the referee admitted afterwards. They did beat us easily when it came to fouls though.

Jul 12, 2016
Hardly beat us easily. I know I'm negative but not in the same League as you.
I can assure you ,you are in the premier league for being negative/argumentative. In the home game Millwall toyed with us in the first half then decided to stop messing around, upped a gear and beat us 2-0 . One of the most professional displays I have witnessed this season.

Jul 12, 2016
Beat us easily? They were efficient but that was all. We had 66% possession, 21 shots against their 9, with 6 on target against their 3. Also, their final goal should have been chalked off which even the referee admitted afterwards. They did beat us easily when it came to fouls though.
Who gives a toss about possession, means absolutely nothing. It was an exercise in how to withstand pressure and get the job done. Those who underestimate Millwall could be in for a shock. I really hope that we get something out of the game but I wouldn’t put any money on it. Some fans are just clutching at straws.