Positives if we are relegated | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Positives if we are relegated

Jan 6, 2004
Just to lessen the nerves slightly:

League one should be financially much weaker next season than when we were last there - With Portsmouth, Derby and possibly Bolton coming up the big clubs will mostly have left the division. (Although Wrexham will no doubt continue to have vast sums invested).

With,by League One standards, huge season ticket sales (which I think will largely hold up in league one), hospitality income, and sales of Cooper, Whittaker Hardie and Gibson, all of whom are too good for league one, we should have one of the highest playing budgets in the division and have some left over for investment in facilities without requiring more money put in. Some of our other players not quite up to championship standard at the moment may thrive a division below.

We will be big fish in a small pond again.

RKB

♣️ PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
1) We might start winning again.
2) We might start scoring goals again.
3) It might be slightly easier for exiled fans to get a ticket.
4) 2 opportunities to beat Exeter.

Utterly depressed at what's happened to us since January and would obviously love us to do it (however it happens) on Saturday but psychologically I have had to already resign myself to relegation because it makes it far easier to deal with if it happens.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
It took us 13 years to get back to The Championship
I dread to think how long it would take us to regain our place in the Championship if we did get relegated
There are very wealthy clubs in League 1 that we would not be able to compete with
Our football journey in respect of sustainability is at odds with how other EFL clubs are run

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
It took us 13 years to get back to The Championship
I dread to think how long it would take us to regain our place in the Championship if we did get relegated
There are very wealthy clubs in League 1 that we would not be able to compete with
Our football journey in respect of sustainability is at odds with how other EFL clubs are run
And during that time we suffered a relegation due to point deduction. Almost going out of business, recovered and became a different club.
You’re refusal to accept how close we came to not being and the reason why we strive to live within our means is quite shocking.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
And during that time we suffered a relegation due to point deduction. Almost going out of business, recovered and became a different club.
You’re refusal to accept how close we came to not being and the reason why we strive to live within our means is quite shocking.
What i meant was we are run the right way but other EFL clubs choose a different path which means they can be more successful than us on a football pitch
Some clubs spend money they don't have to try & get out of the league they are in - but that is football

Jan 6, 2004
What i meant was we are run the right way but other EFL clubs choose a different path which means they can be more successful than us on a football pitch
Some clubs spend money they don't have to try & get out of the league they are in - but that is football
You keep saying this Mutley, but the only reason we are not doing the same is because Simon understandably does not want to invest more of his own money. He is actively looking for investors to allow us to increase our playing budget to become competitive in the championship.

I Was There

♣️ North Devon Greens
Feb 2, 2022
I, like a lot of people on PASOTI have seen a lot of promotions and a lot of relegations, at the end of the day it will be eleven players wearing green shirts trying to get the better of eleven players wearing different colour shirts.
Does it really matter what division Argyle are playing in as long as you are enjoying watching what you see.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
What if Simon is unable to find what he is looking for in terms of the right Investor who is the right fit for our club - he had his fingers burnt before :unsure:

May 19, 2023
i see your point, i think a lot of people are missing it. New manager, transfer funds and a less powerful league one like you said. 7.5 mill champ tv revenue compared to 900k league one is sickening though.

Reactions: East DevonGreen