Pre/Half time/Post match music... | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pre/Half time/Post match music...

Jun 19, 2006
Somewhere or other
Tom Cobbley":36rhci9o said:
Swillyboy":36rhci9o said:
khennes_904":36rhci9o said:
Do they still play ‘A walk in the Black Forest’ at the end of the game ?

Yes, quite often. I particularly appreciate it when we have lost but it is also nice when we have won.

I take the point about playing the 2'30" of Semper Fidelis in full as the pre-match formalities take place. We have been making our views known on this point for more than 10 years. I have no idea why the club is not listening.

When you think Liverpool, surely you think red, Anfield, You'll never walk alone.

When you think Plymouth Argyle (better name as well), you think green, Home Park, Semper Fidelis.

The announcements and pre-match music have not really been that great since Des Robinson!

A regular feature at Home Park in the 1970s (was it City Records on Mutley Plain?) was 'Holiday' an instrumental - anyone know who it was by?

It is called Heartsong by Gordon Giltrap

Was that the 'piano' type tune played at the end?

May 22, 2006
A regular feature at Home Park in the 1970s (was it City Records on Mutley Plain?) was 'Holiday' an instrumental - anyone know who it was by?

I was thinking it was Arthur Brand who were at 33 Mutley Plain but looking at programmes from 71/72 season, City Records were at 45 Mutley Plain. Both advertised in the programmes beneath the team sheet with exactly the same type face and both advertising ‘ Brighten your life with colour television’. They must have had the same owners, taking the advert on different weeks.

Jan 28, 2005
I listened to Gordon Giltrap - thanks for the suggestion. I liked it but it was not the piece I recall.

"Holiday" was played before the matches. I think Des Robinson must have liked it. I can only remember fragments of it now. It was not a predominantly piano piece.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
No music apart from Semper would be ideal. Anything else tends to be divisive and only detracts from the atmosphere. It would be almost revolutionary for a football club to break with the current conformity surrounding piped music so why not bin the music and be proud of it? We would have a ground known for its real atmosphere rather than slavishly following the lowest common denominator pleasing pap of the day.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I am sure that 'Walk in the Black Forest' was based on research into 'muzak', 'lift music', 'mall music' etc. The idea was that it was set at a pace and rhythm that encouraged crowds to clear an area quicker. I can't have made that up ... can I//!! :crazy: :lol:

As for Argyle music, we either need a 'pun' connection ('pun'k music?) Lowe or Low, or a local connection, Pilgrim, Mayflower, Bastille. Which is why I wouldn't play Oasis or Stone Roses when we play Salford: that is 'their' music not ours!

One great one for ore game, post game, goal celebration as we stand would be:

War: Low Rider.

Great sound, distinctive and that 'riff': doo doo doo doo doo do doo, doo doo do doo doo (you'll have to listen to it!! :lol: )

Ryan Lowe's Argo rides a little higher!
Ryan Lowe's Argo wins a little better!
Take a little trip, take a little trip, take a little trip with me hee!!''

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
ghost of hughie reed":ev767pqs said:
How About BozScaggs ' The Low(e)down ?
Or 'Paranoid 'Black Sabbath
Or after the game ' Win lose or draw' the Allman brothers.

Or wildcard....Christie Moore 'a pair of brown eyes '
I love Sabbath but a song with such
subject matter as that is unsuited to a foot stadium. And imo that song is not even close to Sabbath's best!

Dec 3, 2005
Does my head in the 'goal music' wish they would stop doing it.

The moment all supporters want to celebrate and it is stiffled by some crap music.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
I'd rather we moved on from the Oasis, Stone Roses, Happy Monday's era in all honesty. Great music in its day but lets have something different.
Also, Sweet Caroline seems to be the main 'go to' song for any sporting event these days. Neil Diamond must be rolling in royalties the last couple of years.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
Green_Matt":1tfgfja1 said:
ghost of hughie reed":1tfgfja1 said:

subject matter as that is unsuited to a foot stadium. And imo that song is not even close to Sabbath's best!

I'm Paranoid before every argyle game. Never listened to those lyrics closely though.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
ghost of hughie reed":14vqeny8 said:
Green_Matt":14vqeny8 said:
ghost of hughie reed":14vqeny8 said:

I'm Paranoid before every argyle game. Never listened to those lyrics closely though.

Bring your daughter to the .......... family zone! :oops:

Iron Maiden weren't it?

Dec 3, 2005
Yes keep Semper FULL Version as the teams come out - no interuptions!!

Also how about this - I'm a Believer - Monkees, most people know the tune either us oldies from the Monkee's or Neil Diamond (who wrote it) and the younger ones from the Shrek film :)

I thought winning was only true in fairy tales,
Meant for someone else but not for me.
Winning was out to get me.
That's the way it seemed.
Disappointment haunted all my dreams.

Then I saw Argyle; now I'm a believer!
Not a trace of doubt in my mind.
I'm with Ryan, and I'm a believer!
I couldn't leave Argyle, if I tried.

I thought football was more or less a givin' thing;
Seems the more I gave the less I got.
What's the use in tryin'?