Pre Match Music vs Newport County | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pre Match Music vs Newport County

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Hold the bleddy front page!
just looking at Bob's GOS pictures from Saturday. Photo 40. The Pilgrim Panthers! performing in front of the Grandstand.
I missed that lot :doh:

May 16, 2016
I'm sure the Club binned the pre-match music at the request of some of the support a few years ago. It didn't make any difference, it was quite quiet to be honest.

Aug 21, 2008
Plymouth
L G":uks2r64y said:
Hold the bleddy front page!
just looking at Bob's GOS pictures from Saturday. Photo 40. The Pilgrim Panthers! performing in front of the Grandstand.
I missed that lot :doh:

It wasn't Thunderstruck though - some modern cr@p played far too loud.

Jan 10, 2015
Plymouth
Dont mind pre-match music but as said should stop for coin toss to let crowd take over, hate the electric semper so embarrassing and detest the goal music, that definitely should be left to the crowd, it isn't played when the away team score then we have to listen to then celebrating ditch it please.

Jul 13, 2006
I think we're all agreed on one thing. Bin the awful plastic Semper and lets have the old one re-instated.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Devongreenowl":3kpli7up said:
Tisdale, Risdale - what is this all about? Two no marks who have nothing to do with Argyle.

One certainly has, part of our history, no matter what you think of the bloke.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
I do agree that there should be no pre-match music (Semper excluded, of course) but I cannot remember the last time the atmosphere really swelled before kick off. Anybody recall?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Fergy":2i6wgw2w said:
I do agree that there should be no pre-match music (Semper excluded, of course) but I cannot remember the last time the atmosphere really swelled before kick off. Anybody recall?

Was it the last time that there was no pre-match music?? :think:

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I still think that the crowd should sing 'He who would valiant be' ahead of games in the same way that Liverpool fans sing 'YNWA' and some other club I saw on TV a couple of weeks(Leicester?) ago sang John Denver's 'Annie's song' ('You Fill Up My Senses'). That kind of unified, massed choir singing that everyone can join in with creates an awesome pre-kick off atmosphere.
The first verse of HWWVB is a perfect fit for Argyle, the words are pretty easy to remember and it's a tune that many people already know well and, importantly, it's a song that is designed to be sung by a mass of people together (so it is easy to do so). A lot of people who don't normally sing would, I think, join in. I know that some people don't like the idea because it is a hymn and so there is a religious connotation but I really don't think that makes a jot of difference.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Janners have never taken on a song have they?

You can take a horse to water etc.

Seen it all before ‘I am sailing’ was one, as it was closely linked to the Ark Royal at the time.

If it happens it will happen serendipitously.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
The Doctor":6u14gk3y said:
I still think that the crowd should sing 'He who would valiant be' ahead of games in the same way that Liverpool fans sing 'YNWA'....
The first verse of HWWVB is a perfect fit for Argyle, the words are pretty easy to remember and it's a tune that many people already know well and, importantly, it's a song that is designed to be sung by a mass of people together (so it is easy to do so). A lot of people who don't normally sing would, I think, join in. I know that some people don't like the idea because it is a hymn and so there is a religious connotation but I really don't think that makes a jot of difference.

Are you implying that we are a forgetful lot?

Surely if you are going for a hymn you can't go past "To be a pilgrim" byJohn Bunyan.

Perhaps best done in Cyril Tawney style (youngsters - google him)

Verse 1 seems pretty relevant to me

Who would true valour see,
Let him come hither;
One here will constant be,
Come wind, come weather.
There's no discouragement
Shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent,
To be a pilgrim.

A few words might need changing.

For example in verse 3 "Hobgoblin nor foul fiend, can daunt his spirit" might need substitutions for Hobgoblins and foul fiends, but a few candidates come quickly to mind.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
AdelaideGreen":39sgh6eu said:
The Doctor":39sgh6eu said:
I still think that the crowd should sing 'He who would valiant be' ahead of games in the same way that Liverpool fans sing 'YNWA'....

Are you implying that we are a forgetful lot?

Surely if you are going for a hymn you can't go past "To be a pilgrim" byJohn Bunyan.

Perhaps best done in Cyril Tawney style (youngsters - google him)

Verse 1 seems pretty relevant to me

Who would true valour see,
Let him come hither;
One here will constant be,
Come wind, come weather.
There's no discouragement
His first avowed intent,
To be a pilgrim.

A few words might need changing.

For example in verse 3 "Hobgoblin nor foul fiend, can daunt his spirit" might need substitutions for Hobgoblins and foul fiends, but a few candidates come quickly to mind.

That's the hymn I was referring to only I thought the first line was 'He who would valiant be' and I was only thinking of the first verse. The words are perfect. In fact I just looked it up on wikipedia and you are referring to John Bunyan's original version whereas I obviously must know (remembered from school assemblies at least 40 years ago) the English Hymnal version:

1906 The English Hymnal Version
He who would valiant be
′Gainst all disaster,
Let him in constancy
Follow the Master.
There’s no discouragement
His first avowed intent
To be a pilgrim.

The tune that we now sing this to was written subsequently by Ralph Vaughan-Williams based on a traditional song called 'Our captain cried all hands' [thanks wikip] which also has a good fit to it being a pre-kickoff song AND has a nice maritime ring to it which fits with our region.

Personally I think I would change the fourth line in the English Hymnal version to 'Follow the Argyle' and then it's pretty much perfect...

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Sorry guys - hymns at HP? Not at a football match anyway. I can think of a few good rugby songs!
The John Denver ‘Annie’ reference isn’t Leicester. It’s the Greasy Chip Butty song by the Blunts from the dark side of Sheffield
WAWAW WAAAW