Pre-Season games (Merged 4 times now). | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Pre-Season games (Merged 4 times now).

Sep 6, 2006
moles40":27ow0l84 said:
The lack of pace and movement in the midfield is a worry.Look what Southend were like when they had the ball then compare that to when Argyle had it :facepalm:

I’m always trying to be optimistic with Argyle but it’s a worry that nearly everyone is bringing out the same flaws especially regarding the lack of pace and spark in the midfield.

Good news is that we struggled last season and then huge improvement.And Adams does seem to dig himself out of a hole when the team hits a bad run

Argyle already out to 40/1 for league one winners,4/1 top 6 ,and odds against top half.

Sky haven’t learnt from last season yet it seems.

Keep the faith :scarf:

Well they got the play offs right last season. Very strange thing is on a previous thread you suggested we didn't have pace last season and it didnt matter!!!

Mar 8, 2016
Balham_Green":3hvbws9l said:
Frank_Butcher":3hvbws9l said:
ming the merciless":3hvbws9l said:
Can't agree with the op. Every year we are having major squad surgery. It's bound d to take time to settle. Adams has shown time after time he's really good at this. I have no doubt we will come good but let's hope its not to long before we gel. Looking at the players we have I think we'll be really strong when we do. I always worry in the summer when we see the wholesale changes but Adams has my complete confidence as does this squad.

To some extent i agree ming, but the front three were the same as last year's successful spell and the only change in midfield was Connor Grant. Yes, I expect the defence to take time because of wholesale changes, but personnel wise there really is little reason why we should be so disjointed going forward. So I make the case that the players are just not at that level yet - possibly due to playing sub-standard opposition in pre-season.

Isn't this just a pattern carrying on from last season though. Very poor at the end. I don't think Taylor is fully fit.
I fear the new players are not an upgrade on what we had. I never get all this unfounded blind preseason n optimism just because we signed some players particularly taking into account the loss of 3 good defenders.

Still early days but agree about the 3 defenders. Bradley, threlkeld, Vayner are way way better than what we currently have.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
We can't blame the large turn-over of players as why we aren't performing.

Peterborough I think brought in 18 new players and they won 4-1 away.

Aug 26, 2011
Princerock":16gdp2jo said:

The high turn around of players is not the only reason but it is a significant reason for a slow and disjointed start - exactly as last season. Adams has proved he will get it right so not worried, but I really wish we would build a side for a promotion push and that does essentially require tying down our better players on longer term contracts and adding a few players each season to strengthen the squad

The large number of games against local opposition does not help preparations for a league 1 season , and Cardiff had their premiership, U23 & U18 squads in Cornwall for 10 days so surely some games could have been arranged

This also goes for our fringe players and apprentices - how are they going to develop playing against step 6 opposition in the SWPL

Hopefully can be sorted as we get on a better financial footing

Apr 5, 2008
Balham_Green":llzpp1uo said:
moles40":llzpp1uo said:
The lack of pace and movement in the midfield is a worry.Look what Southend were like when they had the ball then compare that to when Argyle had it :facepalm:

I’m always trying to be optimistic with Argyle but it’s a worry that nearly everyone is bringing out the same flaws especially regarding the lack of pace and spark in the midfield.

Good news is that we struggled last season and then huge improvement.And Adams does seem to dig himself out of a hole when the team hits a bad run

Argyle already out to 40/1 for league one winners,4/1 top 6 ,and odds against top half.

Well they got the play offs right last season. Very strange thing is on a previous thread you suggested we didn't have pace last season and it didnt matter!!!

Apart from the fact they had Shrewsbury down for relegation at the start of season.Yeah so spot on regarding the play off places.

Well it couldn’t have mattered THAT much,the team finish in 7th with apparently NO pace in the side.Seems with the new players we have lost any pace we had,as everyone keeps banging on about it.

However once things pick up soon for the team,the word PACE,won’t even be mentioned again,till the next bad run.Thats pasoti for you ;)

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
foreigner":1t6r8llp said:
HC Green":1t6r8llp said:
What better opposition would you like Argyle to play in pre season. Argyle played against the two highest ranked sides apart from Exeter that are closest to Plymouth. How far away from the South West do you want Argyle to travel to get a game?
Cardiff were down here.

Cardiff have been in Cornwall every season since Warnock has taken over.. we should look to try to play them at Home Park next season I think..

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
JannerinCardiff":1hfbh2ha said:
foreigner":1hfbh2ha said:
HC Green":1hfbh2ha said:
What better opposition would you like Argyle to play in pre season. Argyle played against the two highest ranked sides apart from Exeter that are closest to Plymouth. How far away from the South West do you want Argyle to travel to get a game?
Cardiff were down here.

Cardiff have been in Cornwall every season since Warnock has taken over.. we should look to try to play them at Home Park next season I think..

So we should play Cardiff because our opposition in friendlies is poor quality?
So who did Cardiff play in Premiership preseason apart from Bodmin, Liskeard, Truro and Torquay? :think:
… and was that 'good enough' for them? :think:

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Pogleswoody":3ki1ikqs said:
JannerinCardiff":3ki1ikqs said:
foreigner":3ki1ikqs said:
HC Green":3ki1ikqs said:
Cardiff were down here.

So who did Cardiff play in Premiership preseason apart from Bodmin, Liskeard, Truro and Torquay? :think:

But Cardiff also played Rotherham, Burton and Real Betis (who were 6th in La Liga).

Our highest level UK opposition was Yeovil who are 20th in L2 and Torquay who play 2 levels below Yeovil.

We had a premiership team on our doorstep, who we could have played, I’m sure Warnock would have obliged ..

May 8, 2011
JannerinCardiff":161hn92a said:
Pogleswoody":161hn92a said:
JannerinCardiff":161hn92a said:
foreigner":161hn92a said:
HC Green":161hn92a said:
Cardiff were down here.

But Cardiff also played Rotherham, Burton and Real Betis (who were 6th in La Liga).

Our highest level UK opposition was Yeovil who are 20th in L2 and Torquay who play 2 levels below Yeovil.

We had a premiership team on our doorstep, who we could have played, I’m sure Warnock would have obliged ..

We couldn’t have played at Home Park due to the works being done in the concourses under the stands.

Sep 6, 2006
moles40":16s1qihg said:
Balham_Green":16s1qihg said:
moles40":16s1qihg said:

Apart from the fact they had Shrewsbury down for relegation at the start of season.Yeah so spot on regarding the play off places.

Well it couldn’t have mattered THAT much,the team finish in 7th with apparently NO pace in the side.Seems with the new players we have lost any pace we had,as everyone keeps banging on about it.

However once things pick up soon for the team,the word PACE,won’t even be mentioned again,till the next bad run.Thats pasoti for you ;)

I was talking about US and the play offs. Re pace you have obviously got a very short memory. Last season we had Threkeld and Vyner at the back! Remember now?

Sep 6, 2006
JannerinCardiff":1t8rk68x said:
Pogleswoody":1t8rk68x said:
JannerinCardiff":1t8rk68x said:
foreigner":1t8rk68x said:
HC Green":1t8rk68x said:
Cardiff were down here.

Not sure much point playing a Prem side. We wouldn't have got much of the ball!

Jul 13, 2006
Princerock":134pfb2q said:

Yes- and look at the quality they've signed too. Just signed the geezer from Scunthorpe that gave Vyner the run around. Put a bet on them to go up.

Feb 4, 2011
cornwall
As it has been stated before we play crap sides pre season which are not much help fitness wise and even less to find a good formation

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
We’re havung the proper pre season now.

Got a fair few games yet before looking like a team.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
We were promoted a couple of seasons ago having had a fairly weak preseason apart from a game against West Brom.

This season we had a game against Feyenoord. We don't know what side Feyenoord put out as they were very quiet about it, but 12 months before that we played a Feyenoord side that contained their top goalscorer and drew 0-0, so I'd have thought they'd have fielded quite a strong team against us.

The quality of teams we played in preseason is not an excuse.