Rate the Ref v Newport - Ollie Yates | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rate the Ref v Newport - Ollie Yates

Rate the Ref v Newport

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 3.3%

Votes: 6 10.0%

Votes: 9 15.0%

Votes: 14 23.3%

Votes: 12 20.0%

Votes: 10 16.7%

Votes: 4 6.7%

Votes: 1 1.7%

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

GreenDave1981

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 5, 2017
mde203":lg0vnudz said:
I thought he was excellent. Red card looked about right to me, although far from the worst in the world. He let a lot go allowed the game to flow, which I always value in a referee.

Just how I saw things. Much prefer a ref who lets a bit go to one who is fussy on the whistle. And thought the red was justified.

Sawyer was immense though and even with the red a big contender for MOTM

Apr 9, 2011
Always a yellow until their players got in his face & he crumbled. Gave us nothing in second half culminating in dodgy red & ridiculous booking of Palmer

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
I gave him 4, my lowest for a ref all season. He got gradually worse as the game progressed and missed a lot of minor fouls whilst awarding free kicks for almost identical "infringements" by both sides. Wasn't helped by a totally incompetent Lyndhurst side lino. I haven't seen the replay of the Sawyer incident but it looked as if it was the (stage managed?) reaction of the Newport players changed a clear yellow to straight red, I stand to be corrected on that one though!

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Alright - not great - he should have booked Sawyer much earlier which may have meant he didn't commit his 'final' offence. 5.

Quite please he added 4 minutes and played exactly 4 minutes despite our time wasting - refs often do that which is weird. :greensmile:

stewthenoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 24, 2005
YELVERTON
onthegreen":1zoe6bqs said:
He was never a 'home' referee, the Newport players and management were getting into his space a lot. He was giving soft free kicks, players falling over with the slightest touch. He missed a lot of reckless pushing and shoving. The red was a totally wrong, he reacted to the Newport aggressive demands.

:iagree: This for me. I thought he started well, allowing the game to flow and ignoring stuff from both sides that some other fussy refs would have been blowing for all day. However, 2nd half he seemed to put on his amber tints, giving fouls to Newport where they would launch themselves to the ground with the slightest touch from an Argyle player, whilst allowing the Newport players to climb all over our players, even envelop them in a huge bear hug and not do anything. Jamille Matt, throughout the whole game when he went up for a ball, would first push our player in the back with both hands, thereby creating the free space to win the ball.
Ladabie was wired all game and ref didn't give him as much attention as he did Sawyer. Should have seen yellow earlier in the game (what was the "fight: with Matt all about early in the first half?) which would have then seen him sent off with Sawyer. A soft red for Gary, but Green was too quick for him. Over reaction to the tackle from Green, as he was up, skipping around once the red card had been shown. Ladabie then led the Newport attack on Sawyer.
How many times have we seen BLATANT time wasting throughout the whole game from the opposition and nothing is done about it, when yesterday the ref had no tolerance with Palmer (I didn't see a warning for him for time wasting, either) and booked him in the dying minutes of the match?
I thought the ref had red mist with his flurry of cards in the second half. Perhaps he should have taken himself aside and had a few deep breaths just to clear his head.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Interesting suggestions about referee being influenced by Newport players’ reaction to Sawyer’s tackle.
I have seen incidents when a referee ‘couldn’t wait to get the red card out of his pocket’ according to our fans. A Carey sending off springs to mind.
From Mayflower Upper East, it looked like a red card to me although the winger did not need to stay down for so long.
I thought the referee gave himself time to reflect, sorted out the over reaction by Newport players and then made his decision - the correct one.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
One of the best so far. Gave him a 3.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
I thought that the ref should have booked the player that brought down Mayor on the edge of the penalty area in the first half,if mayor wasn't fouled,he was in on goal.

Jan 7, 2016
Kernow
I try not to make comments about refs but...
For me he started ok but gradually he got worse. I have seen many a school teacher referee in this way; the longer the game went the more he made decisions in favour of Newport. The ref was definitely trying to even things out! He wanted a draw! Ignored Newport misdemeanors but always saw ours. I thought. 3/10 at best.