Rate the Ref v Sunderland - James Bell | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rate the Ref v Sunderland - James Bell

Rate the Ref v Sunderland

Votes: 37 39.4%

Votes: 17 18.1%

Votes: 20 21.3%

Votes: 9 9.6%

Votes: 3 3.2%

Votes: 4 4.3%

Votes: 1 1.1%

Votes: 3 3.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I think some one should check as to whether Bell's home address is in Hebburn or Washington, Co. Durham.

It was remarkable that he did not give a second yellow card to Law for the apparent 'foul' leading to the penalty that he gifted Sunderland.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Quintrell_Green":3i76mty7 said:
I think some one should check as to whether Bell's home address is in Hebburn or Washington, Co. Durham.

It was remarkable that he did not give a second yellow card to Law for the apparent 'foul' leading to the penalty that he gifted Sunderland.

Actually that's a good point, Law should have been sent off!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Even the Sunderland fans on their forum didn't think it was a penalty .....
Mother of god!
joking aside. If that had been given against us this place would have crashed. I’ve seen some ridiculous decisions down the years but that was bizarre In the extreme. It’s the second reason I want out of this league. The officials are beyond incompetent and no one seems to care. Does no one sit them down at some point, show them the footage and just say “explain that

It was one of the worst I have ever seen but no referee does that on purpose. He didn't see it as we have seen it on TV. His reputation and ability to make more money higher up the leagues is damaged with that decision

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
PL2 3DQ":1owdxh96 said:
Even the Sunderland fans on their forum didn't think it was a penalty .....
Mother of god!
joking aside. If that had been given against us this place would have crashed. I’ve seen some ridiculous decisions down the years but that was bizarre In the extreme. It’s the second reason I want out of this league. The officials are beyond incompetent and no one seems to care. Does no one sit them down at some point, show them the footage and just say “explain that

It was one of the worst I have ever seen but no referee does that on purpose. He didn't see it as we have seen it on TV. His reputation and ability to make more money higher up the leagues is damaged with that decision

I think what damages the ref is that he saw a freekick outside the box and gave it (fair enough) but he changed his mind and 'bottled' it on the word of an assistant who had a much worse view than him.
A view from which it would be impossible to say that it was in the box.
Ref should say: I saw it, not in the box. Freekick.
Then I'd score him much higher as a ref! :furious:

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Same there is not a minus button or inconsistent button - i think he was scared of Sunderland

P

Paranoid Android

Apparently the Refs Association do score performance and analyse. Trouble is very little is done. A lot can appear subjective I know. But if anyone who knows anything about football just looked at the black and white incidents in the match, how many were ignored for us, and how many were against us, I'm pretty confident he'd be shown to have a strong bias. Unacceptable. I think from memory he's the only one I have had strong issues with this season. Some have been below par, but not close to today.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Paranoid Android":14aywh7s said:
Apparently the Refs Association do score performance and analyse. Trouble is very little is done. A lot can appear subjective I know. But if anyone who knows anything about football just looked at the black and white incidents in the match, how many were ignored for us, and how many were against us, I'm pretty confident he'd be shown to have a strong bias. Unacceptable. I think from memory he's the only one I have had strong issues with this season. Some have been below par, but not close to today.

That's how I felt. I questioned myself whether I was being unfair to someone trying to do a reasonable job in difficult circumstances and the answer was 'no'. He was terrible. Today those decisions didn't make much difference to our season, but in the future who knows what damage his incompetence could do?

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Paranoid Android":16iecxcz said:

As I understand it, there is a ref assessor at every game but if he is somewhere in the Mayflower Stand he will have no ability to see exactly where the foul actually took place, unless he has access later to a video recording of the game on i-Follow. At least he will have been able to count the yellow cards issued and note the failure to punish the foul on Edwards in the penalty area in the first half. i think the ref is/was under the mistaken impression that progress up the refereeing pyramid is linked to thenumber of yellow and red cards issued per season.

Aug 24, 2009
Terrible officials to-day, A few years ago I refereed Professional footballers, You always tell the lino's that before the give a decision of a penalty always look at the ref to establish if he is a a better position, in this case the ref already given a free kick and was in the best position to decide whether the fould happened in the box. It is impossible for the lino to determine whether the foul happened in the box as he is looking at the line from a narrow view whereas the ref as a more panoramic view so he should have over ruled the lino and given him a bollicking at the end of the game, this is commonly known as a stitch up. The match was equally as poor, Lowe and his team just do not have the skill, knowledge or experience to manage or play at this level.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I rarely criticise referees but that was a poor performance by all 3 officials.
Surely, their first goal was offside.
The foul by Law for the penalty was outside the box. As has been already said, he awarded a free kick outside the box and then changed his mind after a brief nod from the linesman. He could, at least, have gone over and discussed it with his assistant.
Even the third goal was probably offside.
Opoku’s dismissal could not be disputed but, in the first few minutes, he warned Opoku for tapping the ball away a couple of yards but allowed their player to delay a rare free kick that he gave us by standing over the ball.
It was difficult not to conclude that he was biased.
Generally, I have thought that, this season, the referees have been better, Pasoti markings have reflected that, but certainly not this one.

May 22, 2006
For the first goal, the lino was in a very good position. I Follow said at the start of the second half that replays showed that it was onside.

Otherwise the ref seemed star struck by Sunderland. A couple of times Argyle players were pushed to the floor but he only gave two fouls against him the whole match.

While the penalty was clearly wrong, Sunderland fans seemed adamant that they were denied a stonewall penalty minutes before.

May 5, 2006
I found Lowe's comments about his chat with the ref before the game interesting, that the ref was a Sheff Wed fan and cheered Ryan when a player there. What better way for the ref to show he had no bias towards Ryan than to give his team nothing.