Rate the Ref | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rate the Ref

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Lundan Cabbie":2lhmcqzp said:
Penlee":2lhmcqzp said:
Matchday moments has a similar angle to the ref's. He's guessed it. Poor refereeing.

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/2021/march/ ... blackpool/

How can you say that? At the very moment of contact, Ryan Hardie is obscuring the camera's view but the referee's view is unhindered. I would say it is YOU who is guessing.

So, if the view is obscured, how can you mention 'the very moment of contact'?? What contact? :think:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":dlkkj59l said:
Lundan Cabbie":dlkkj59l said:
Penlee":dlkkj59l said:
Matchday moments has a similar angle to the ref's. He's guessed it. Poor refereeing.

How can you say that? At the very moment of contact, Ryan Hardie is obscuring the camera's view but the referee's view is unhindered. I would say it is YOU who is guessing.

So, if the view is obscured, how can you mention 'the very moment of contact'?? What contact? :think:

Have you not watched it yourself then Pogles? Go to 5 mins, 10 seconds. The contact that the referee sees has to be in the frame where Ryan Hardie is hiding the view of the camera. Of course, I am guessing here too but the referee obviously wasn't. He has to have seen some contact otherwise he wouldn't have given the penalty.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Lundan Cabbie":hkjx2hye said:
Pogleswoody":hkjx2hye said:
Lundan Cabbie":hkjx2hye said:
Penlee":hkjx2hye said:

Have you not watched it yourself then Pogles? Go to 5 mins, 10 seconds. The contact that the referee sees has to be in the frame where Ryan Hardie is hiding the view of the camera. Of course, I am guessing here too but the referee obviously wasn't. He has to have seen some contact otherwise he wouldn't have given the penalty.

Yeah, right. Refs never guess or get it wrong.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Lundan Cabbie":2i2umcdg said:
Vampires11":2i2umcdg said:
Watching the highlights Lewis didn't make a challenge, the Blackpool player initiated contact and then dived.

More senior players than Adam Lewis have been caught out in these situations.

David Luiz gave away a penalty at Wolves this season and was red carded without making a challenge. When an attacking player is running ahead of the defender, if their legs touch it is going to appear from most angles that the striker has been impeded which most certainly would be a free-kick/penalty offence.

An attacking player is allowed to step across a defender and thereby inviting a challenge. From where the referee was, that's what he would have seen. However had the referee at Blackpool been immediately behind the incident that he may well have seen it differently.
If the defender doesn't let the forward get in front of him in the penalty area, thus allowing him to "draw the foul" in the modern parlance, the Referee doesn't have a decision to make.

Argyle were punished for Lewis's poor defending.

If it was at the other end, I would expect Jephcott to do the same thing, as I am sure he would have done. He has developed a tendency to go down quite easily which seems to be derigure for the modern forward, as well as a few defenders.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Mark Pedlar":23rzyawm said:
Lundan Cabbie":23rzyawm said:
Pogleswoody":23rzyawm said:
Lundan Cabbie":23rzyawm said:
Penlee":23rzyawm said:

Yeah, right. Refs never guess or get it wrong.

Of course they can get it wrong but they give what they see. Sometimes our eyes deceive us and that includes referees. Try reading ten statements from witnesses at the scene of an accident. You'll be lucky to find many that are identical.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
demportdave":1819hni5 said:
Lundan Cabbie":1819hni5 said:
Vampires11":1819hni5 said:
Watching the highlights Lewis didn't make a challenge, the Blackpool player initiated contact and then dived.

More senior players than Adam Lewis have been caught out in these situations.

David Luiz gave away a penalty at Wolves this season and was red carded without making a challenge. When an attacking player is running ahead of the defender, if their legs touch it is going to appear from most angles that the striker has been impeded which most certainly would be a free-kick/penalty offence.

An attacking player is allowed to step across a defender and thereby inviting a challenge. From where the referee was, that's what he would have seen. However had the referee at Blackpool been immediately behind the incident that he may well have seen it differently.
If the defender doesn't let the forward get in front of him in the penalty area, thus allowing him to "draw the foul" in the modern parlance, the Referee doesn't have a decision to make.

Argyle were punished for Lewis's poor defending.

If it was at the other end, I would expect Jephcott to do the same thing, as I am sure he would have done. He has developed a tendency to go down quite easily which seems to be derigure for the modern forward, as well as a few defenders.

Argyle were not punished for Lewis’ bad defending, they were punished for Blackpool diving and a referee’s mistake.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
I watched a video of Argyle against Dagenham and Redbridge last night,in it G.Sawyer is seen to bundle over a daggers player in our penalty area much in the way that the Blackpool player nudged Lewis only much harder, the ref looked at it as he was close, he just turned away,no penalty,either poor refereeing there,or poor refereeing against Blackpool.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Lundan Cabbie":10f3e3lq said:
Pogleswoody":10f3e3lq said:
Lundan Cabbie":10f3e3lq said:
Penlee":10f3e3lq said:

I watched it 'live' and saw the attacker roll himself sideways and back into Lewis instead of shooting or passing. Thought he was cheating then, still think so. Ref closer with a better view needs to agree with me tbh!! ;)

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
Pogleswoody":25n7c7cb said:
Lundan Cabbie":25n7c7cb said:
Pogleswoody":25n7c7cb said:
Lundan Cabbie":25n7c7cb said:
Penlee":25n7c7cb said:

I watched it 'live' and saw the attacker roll himself sideways and back into Lewis instead of shooting or passing. Thought he was cheating then, still think so. Ref closer with a better view needs to agree with me tbh!! ;)

The ref didn't see any contact because there wasn't any. The matchday moments view confirmed his angle did not blur matters and corroborated our original camera angle. He guessed. Poor reffing.

He was probably looking for a foul that wasn't there because he was aware Lewis might try and make up for his error by over compeensating. Darren Drysdale did that with Josh Grant at Exeter last season. Some refs do that. Good ones don't. it's a shame as he was good otherwise but got a or THE big decision wrong.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Pogleswoody":lyzphg3k said:
Lundan Cabbie":lyzphg3k said:
Pogleswoody":lyzphg3k said:
Lundan Cabbie":lyzphg3k said:
Penlee":lyzphg3k said:

I saw it live too. I saw the attacker step across the path of Adam Lewis and slowing down ensuring that the defender couldn't avoid coming into contact with him and therefore impeding his progress..... which in the penalty area is an offence punishable by a penalty kick.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Lundan Cabbie":2wi2q5j0 said:
Pogleswoody":2wi2q5j0 said:
Pogleswoody":2wi2q5j0 said:
Penlee":2wi2q5j0 said:

I saw it live too. I saw the attacker step across the path of Adam Lewis and slowing down ensuring that the defender couldn't avoid coming into contact with him and therefore impeding his progress..... which in the penalty area is an offence punishable by a penalty kick.

Maybe so but, as in so many things, the law is an 'arris then!! He impeded his own 'progress' by looking for Lewis, he initiated the 'contact', bit like insurance claims for getting shunted. The player initiating the 'contact' (or no contact, M'lud) should be punished. As others have said, ref needs to use a bit of common sense.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Shunting into a vehicle is a good example. To avoid it happening you don't get too close. If you are a chasing defender and you clatter into the player because he moves across your path or stops and you can't avoid him, you are going to commit an offence even if it is the other player who "initiates the contact."

Please don't expect a referee to ignore the law and apply "common sense" simply because YOU think the law is wrong.

Penlee

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 9, 2011
Stoke in Plymouth
The Blackpool striker clearly jumped sideways into Lewis. Not a penalty in any interpretation of the laws.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Lundan Cabbie":197n9jbx said:
Shunting into a vehicle is a good example. To avoid it happening you don't get too close. If you are a chasing defender and you clatter into the player because he moves across your path or stops and you can't avoid him, you are going to commit an offence even if it is the other player who "initiates the contact."

Please don't expect a referee to ignore the law and apply "common sense" simply because YOU think the law is wrong.

Following the driving analogy, you’re wrong. If you are coming up behind another car in a different lane and they suddenly swerves in front of you and jam the breaks on, they are at fault even though you hit them.

It should be the same in the football. I accept that the ref might have made a mistake but to say that was a legitimate penalty is laughable.