Re:OGAT:Difficult Second Season? Six and out? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Re:OGAT:Difficult Second Season? Six and out?

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Well, here's a Tuesday night 'Blackpool' match that was FAR from a disappointment - Tuesday, the 9th of March 1993.

In front of a crowd of 5,959 (ah, the good old days...) Argyle pressed the self destruct button when a young Jock Morrison launched himself into an Exocet tackle early in the first half and was (appropriately) sent off. My memory (possibly faulty) is telling me that we went a goal down but came back to win 2-1, with goals from Gary Poole and Steve Castle. And with only ten men!

My diary entry after the match reads, 'In the evening I was privileged to be at Home Park to witness one of THE great performances from an Argyle side that I can remember. They beat Blackpool 2-1 but the manner of the victory was something else. They had Jock Morrison sent off early in the game but the ten men fought like tigers and completely outplayed, outran and outfought the opposition. A stirring performance that will live in my memory for a long, long time'.

As 25 years is a 'long, long time' I hope I will be excused a possible incorrect recollection of the order of scoring but I would give anything to see the same sort of performance tomorrow - and a similar scoreline.

Aug 11, 2013
I was feeling quite optimistic tonight until my son quite enthusiastically said “Hopefully we can build on last weeks 0-0 result”. Things are bad when you’re hoping to build on a 0-0! Back down to earth.

Sep 6, 2006
arrythewurzel":2gyy940u said:
I was feeling quite optimistic tonight until my son quite enthusiastically said “Hopefully we can build on last weeks 0-0 result”. Things are bad when you’re hoping to build on a 0-0! Back down to earth.

Blackpool have drawn all 3 away games 0
0 so far. I'd take that!

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Time to get a win on the board however ugly it may be...I'm going for a trusty old 2-1.....

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
In our case the Valley of Dearth, so poorly do we seem to play whenever I attend what is one of my local fixtures.

And deep joy and fair warning I am there again this week.

Indeed in many ways the current malaise that seems to have afflicted us seems to trace its roots to that horrible day last season when hitherto unheralded full back Lewis Page launched an Exocet in the second minute.....and despite a post hitting from Tayls, we were never at the races....

Still at least we won't be hitting managers first game syndrome as we did last season. Novice manager ( but pro boxer) Lee Bowyer announced that the simple way to stop Argyle was to prevent David Fox from having the ball...well we are way ahead of you this season Lee. if you want to man mark the Foxster this season you'll have to do it yourself as you will be closest!

Since that sell out away day Argyle have managed the princely total of three league wins, and all by late penalties and none of course yet this season, nor any of them away from home....which might account for why some of the forward players ( I am looking at you now Joel and Ryan T) seem to think the penalty box is made of ice. It does seem strange that last season we got loads, and this season none....we know the ref knows how to give them....( I am looking at you now Joe and other Ryan, and Graham)

On a more positive note last season we got our first win v the addicks, so it would be good to try that again...plus no-one will be expecting such an ambush...plus they are having a small injury crisis in their midfield so the likes of Pratley and Bauer will be missing...oh look I have a clutched a handful of straws....

On the other hand our old friend Lyle T will be hoping to strike up the pose having slunk across town from Wimbledon. So a brace from Taylor might not be the news we are looking for...

In the good old days of the early sixties we recorded such scores as 4-6 away from home only to win by the same score a couple of days later, so the entertainment value can be high at this fixture. I suspect like Derek, however, the Green Army is just crying out for a scrappy ninetieth minute own goal one nil away win and the chance to wake up on a Sunday and actually want to look at Pasoti for a change.

Still after the last seconds Boxing match staged by Blackpool, and with a Charlton history that includes a similar sequence of events by Hales and Flanagan, together with a manager who is no stranger to a friendly fire flare up maybe we will get a full scale brawl breaking out in the Robins goal mouth as their defence has a melt down when they concede a much unexpected corner before the eighty ninth minute.

We can but hope.

COYG!!!!

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
So apologies for the late appearance. In keeping with the team an attack of writers cramp has coincided with a sudden spate of wifi withdrawal at our Gran Canaria winter training camp laid the OGAT:DSS squad down to its bare bones

Indeed so poor is the coverage no chance of I follow to distract from the fact that the excitement of finding Sky Sports in amongst the German channels was wrecked when it became apparent I would be condensed to Soccer Samstag and the bundesliga.

Our opponents today travel with optimism having started so well that new manager Grant McCann has cancelled the contract of the match official striker whose terms of reference caused the departure of charming Fergie Jr when the board would only sanction a shoot to wound policy and no kneecappjnf assistants who got offside wrong

With a virtually full side of injuries to simplify selection we may get to see our tenth starting combination of centre backs alongside the unlikely sight of gregg wylde at full back . Or make that just the unlikely sight of Greg Wylde.

With a better showing, despite the same result,at Charlton, where the home fans thought we had snuck a point with a spirited backs to the wall display (and yes I was there) and with a few inches lower from grant and Carey it could have been better could this be the week that travel sickness works in our favour?

Here's hoping.

COYG. and where's my margarita?

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Ah well, lack of wi fi and a relaxing infinity pool means I return to the fray and iFollow chilled and relaxed.

Indeed as I stared to the far horizon I was sure that somewhere in the distance I saw a small green bird rising phoenix like from the flames....hope springing eternal.

Still like the Norwegian airlines landing at Gatwick yesterday, no doubt it will be down to earth with a bump. Two world strikes which last season would have probably been enough were simply consolations after a defensive performance which was shaky and no match for the street smarts of the likes of John Marquis.

So off to Jokewell, and the mixed but still dangerously good form of recently relegated Barnsley. Of course omens for last season started with an unlikely away point as recently relegated team beginning with B , with our first victory of note coming versus Wimbledon ( albeit at their place) shortly afterwards so could history repeat itself.

It is true as DA has pointed out we are playing a lot of teams from the top seven. The problem is the league being compressed as it is the top seven keep changing and so that could continue to be the case for sometime. Truth be told we are certain of only one thing about one opponents at present. They will be above us.

We seem a curates egg. Good in parts. Getting better as well....we are finally scoring, if not enough or soon enough.....defensively we are all over the place but would it be controversial to suggest midfield is where the problem lies. At Charlton when we controlled the ball we looked the side that almost snuck the play offs. The issue was all too soon we lost it again, and once possession was gone we allow the opposition up the field daring them to shoot from distance. At Charlton mostly it worked, but it invites pressure and where last season we scored goals and soaked up pressure , this year we leak them and have to chase the game.

In some ways our form is mirroring Burnley, who have gone from surprise package to strugglers after a relatively small change in the balance of play. Fine margins can swing both ways though.

Only seeing odd games makes it hard to judge the whole picture, but oh for a Ben Reeves who bossed the ball at Charlton.

I would love to see three things improve tonight...

Distribution from Macey to be less hurried and random

Ruben to realise he doesn't have to try the impossible every time he gets the ball

Second balls to be won and retained more often even if that means a backwards pass occasionally rather than the eye of the needle ball.

As for the fans, I am old enough to be able to zone out the nay sayers who only criticise , and who fall upon anyone who tries to think positively as being a green tint. I am a fan. I expect my team to win every game. I realise I am going to be disappointed much of the time, but since DA has been here thats been a lot less than it was...the one thing the relegated teams all had last season was they changed their manager ( the likes of Bury and Northampton more than once,,and guess what Northampton have done it again....it doesn't work more often than it does....

No team has a divine right to succeed. Some teams have more money than others. I didn't see a team of individuals at Charlton, I did see a team that fought, and were disappointed to lose unluckily in the end having thrown their bodies on the line.

Fine margins, a bit of luck, GC on song and the Green Army in good voice.

Tyke That. Whatever we said we didn't mean it, we just want our backs to be good....

COYG!

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
So after a better performance and a very good away point at Barnsley comes the acid test of Argyles phoenix like qualities as we start a run of games against clubs in the category, only a little bit better than us so far. The first of these AFC Wombles having put nearest rivals in the "oh crap, we're crap" stakes, Oxford to the sword at Kingsmeadow 2-1 before gifting a penalty to Bradford, the club that seems to have a manager of the quarter contest, and succumbing 1-0.

Of course AFCW are the ultimate Phoenix club, and, here's the bad news, of 104 clubs Argyle have played at Home Park the AFCW incarnation have the second best record of any club that visits us....better than Liverpool, Manchester United Everton etc etc, equally as good as Chelsea....

Of course at their ground we are the opposite....its our second favourite place to go, but they are coming here and they love it....

Hopefully the Wombles will be mightyly disturbed by the chaos surrounding the Grandstand side and spend so much time tidying up the things the everyday fans leave behind we can run in some much needed goals without our currently normal early concession.

Stranger things have happened. Gregg Wylde at left back. Lionel Ainsworth on the pitch during the actual playing time. Ruben making it to the end of a game ( ok he looked like he needed a Stannah Stair lift on Tuesday when substituted) but fair does....he is scoring again....and they are crackers.

Injuries continue restrict selection. Tafari is back, albeit his performance on Tuesday was so energetic he seemed to be staking a claim for his best position being rush goalie. There was a lengthy debate between him and GC in the sending half involving much finger indicating about overloads on the right wing which seemed to beg the obvious statement, "that's because you are supposed to be there occasionally, Taf mate!"

GC also keeps his place by judiciously spreading his random assaults across competitions, but he is now a card away from suspension, and remains a potential thorn in the side of the Wombles who will remember his sublime through ball to Joel that kicked of the winning part of last seasons epic run.

Apart from their elite bogey status, Wombles also parade close to half a million pounds worth of ex Argyle talent in JJ and Ben Purrington, the last two players to command a transfer fee on the way out of HP, albeit probably on HP as well. Stewards need to be on alert for crowd bombing from JJ if he bags the inevitable "immutable law of the ex" goal. Luckily Ben has yet to score a league goal, having bagged his only success in the FA Cup at Port Vale. So that's never going to happen is it?

So with the Argyle line up almost impossible to predict, I'll have to settle for a gamble on the following from AFCW

Cholet (Madame)

Tomsk. Tobermory Bungo. Purrington

Alderney. Orinoco. Wellington Shansi

Cairngorm McWomble the Terrible. Jervis

Subs:Stepney, Obidos, Nanny Alexandria, Livingstone Monsonee, Hoboken, Hanson

Manager: Great Uncle Bulgaria

Serious questions await the Argyle players still.

Will we ever get all three Grants on the pitch at the same time?
How close does Freddy need to be to the goal to net another one?
Does an unchanged defence for two games indicate a settled back four?
Is Matt Macey deliberately shouting Boo! really loud every time the ball goes near Ryan Edwards because it sure looks like someone is.

And finally, can anyone remember what we do at the end of a game if we have more goals than the other team? Someone must know?

COYG!!!!!

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
So after a better performance and a very good away point at Barnsley comes the acid test of Argyles phoenix like qualities as we start a run of games against clubs in the category, only a little bit better than us so far. The first of these AFC Wombles having put nearest rivals in the "oh crap, we're crap" stakes, Oxford to the sword at Kingsmeadow 2-1 before gifting a penalty to Bradford, the club that seems to have a manager of the quarter contest, and succumbing 1-0.

Of course AFCW are the ultimate Phoenix club, and, here's the bad news, of 104 clubs Argyle have played at Home Park the AFCW incarnation have the second best record of any club that visits us....better than Liverpool, Manchester United Everton etc etc, equally as good as Chelsea....

Of course at their ground we are the opposite....its our second favourite place to go, but they are coming here and they love it....

Hopefully the Wombles will be mighty disturbed by the chaos surrounding the Grandstand side and spend so much time tidying up the things the everyday fans leave behind we can run in some much needed goals without our currently normal early concession.

Stranger things have happened. Gregg Wylde at left back. Lionel Ainsworth on the pitch during the actual playing time. Ruben making it to the end of a game ( ok he looked like he needed a Stannah Stair lift on Tuesday when substituted) but fair does....he is scoring again....and they are crackers.

Injuries continue restrict selection. Tafari is back, albeit his performance on Tuesday was so energetic he seemed to be staking a claim for his best position being rush goalie. There was a lengthy debate between him and GC in the sending half involving much finger indicating about overloads on the right wing which seemed to beg the obvious statement, "that's because you are supposed to be there occasionally, Taf mate!"

GC also keeps his place by judiciously spreading his random assaults across competitions, but he is now a card away from suspension, and remains a potential thorn in the side of the Wombles who will remember his sublime through ball to Joel that kicked of the winning part of last seasons epic run.

Apart from their elite bogey status, Wombles also parade close to half a million pounds worth of ex Argyle talent in JJ and Ben Purrington, the last two players to command a transfer fee on the way out of HP, albeit probably on HP as well. Stewards need to be on alert for crowd bombing from JJ if he bags the inevitable "immutable law of the ex" goal. Luckily Ben has yet to score a league goal, having bagged his only success in the FA Cup at Port Vale. So that's never going to happen is it?

So with the Argyle line up almost impossible to predict, I'll have to settle for a gamble on the following from AFCW

Cholet (Madame)

Tomsk. Tobermory Bungo. Purrington

Alderney. Orinoco. Wellington Shansi

Cairngorm McWomble the Terrible. Jervis

Subs:Stepney, Obidos, Nanny Alexandria, Livingstone Monsonee, Hoboken, Hanson

Manager: Great Uncle Bulgaria

Serious questions await the Argyle players still.

Will we ever get all three Grants on the pitch at the same time?
How close does Freddy need to be to the goal to net another one?
Does an unchanged defence for two games indicate a settled back four?
Is Matt Macey deliberately shouting Boo! really loud every time the ball goes near Ryan Edwards because it sure looks like someone is.

And finally, can anyone remember what we do at the end of a game if we have more goals than the other team? Someone must know?

COYG!!!!!

Apr 5, 2008
What ,how when,Purrington At afc Wimbledon ,what happened at Rotherham ?

And why was their no option of him joining us again.

Why did he go in the first place ,to end up at Wimbledon.

How strange football is :lol:

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
The weekend after the weekend before, and what a difference a week makes. Er, not so much as we followed a tumultuous first win of the season with a less than tumultuous umpteenth capitulation to a Super Luke inspired Swindon Town. Luckily the Check theres a Crowd Cup doesn't count in anyones eyes except the teams that get to Wembley and the EFL. It doesn't even merit a review in the OGAT:DSS blog, thats how insignificant it is.

Back to serious matters then and the shortish hop to the Kassam for the battle of the three siders and the race to 22nd. Oxford finally gain the accolade of "only team worse than us" but can resume their previously dominant position of "only team marginally better than us" by ending their longest ever winless run. Doesn't sound like an omen at all does it., beingthe thirteenth league game on the thirteenth of the month.

At least the Oxs ( whose statue was vandalised when installed with pink paint_ will be without Gavin Whyte on International duty, but will have ex Argyle stalwarts Curtis Nelson and Jamie"chase a crisp packet" Mackie both battling to save embattled manager Karl "Tarby" Robinson who has remained an unpopular choice at the Kassam ever since he resigned from being the unpopular choice at the Valley and Charlton.

With Argyle having an imminent new Chairman, we also get to not meet absentee exotic owner Sumrith Thanakarnjanasuth (yep cut and paste) or Tiger as he prefers to be known, who gave up on Reading to buy Oxford, presumably attracted by the amber and black strip and the unavailability of Hull City.

The natives at Kassam ( allegedly cursed by an edited Romany and subject to an exorcism after the lost 13 of 17 games there) are restless and many are predicting the curse of "the likes of Argyle" should the away team prevail and the end of Robinsons Crew. Indeed the chequered history of Oxford also includes a spell of ownership by the Maxwells and an attempt to create the less than vaunted Thames Valley Royals by combining with the aforementioned Reading. Ownership is such a hard thing to get right in the Home Counties it seems

Argyle will be welcoming back some of the recent injuries but losing 3-0 at home to the Moonrakers as OUFC slander Swindon suggests a strong case for an unchanged team from Saturday. With Colin Murray predicting an unbeaten run until march and Del Boy aiming for 51 more points at least from what is left there is indeed much to play for.

For once the "sacked in the morning" chants might actually come from the away end for a change.

COYG
EI EI EI O
Up the Football league we go ( or maybe not)

Now how do we exorcise Balham Green from Pasoti......