RIP Dan McCauley | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

RIP Dan McCauley

Sep 16, 2016
Graham Clark":2ovn4hcd said:
Dan was a quite remarkable man capable of the most absurd perversity and unbridled generosity almost within the same minute.

He was fully responsible for initially underwriting the near £4m contract cost of the ‘horseshoe’ with Barr before the Football Foundation money arrived. Without him, it simply would not have happened.

It is difficult to believe his tenure lasted as long as it did.. One thing is for sure, it was never dull with him at the helm. So many stories.

RIP Dan and thank you for the good times.

Totally agree. Yes he divided opinion but that should not detract from his significant contribution to Argyle. RIP Dan.

Dec 3, 2005
RIP Dan, condolences to his family

Yes he divided opinion, BUT what an amazing ride we had during his period as Chairman.

Argyle memories that will last forever.

Thank you Dan, your legacy will be the horseshoe.
:scarf:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
He gave us the high of the Shilton team and the low of the first time in the basement.

R.I.P Dan.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Pogleswoody":12sob4mu said:
RIP

Probably the richest man I've ever bought a drink for but, to be fair, he bought the second round! (PASALB days!).

I was at a beach bar in Thailand and some bloke was talking about his lifestyle and thought he had had too many cocktails. We shared a few rounds then googled him back in the room and he was worth 900m USD and had been considerably more before a divorce!!

May 1, 2011
RIP to Dan and condolences to his family.

A Chairman who took us from Div 2 to Div 4 and nearly out of the football league and presided over 8 managers. The bad times certainly outweighed the good. When he left we all breathed a sigh of relief.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Did it his way, for sure, RIP Dan.

And no way he’d have let our club go out of the 92. Despite some reckless rhetoric he seemed to care way too much for that.

Aug 5, 2015
I’m with Rich on this. Yes Dan gave us three quarters of a new ground, which of course was important, and the chance to see Peter Shilton turn out for us, but that’s about all. Still, sad to see any Argyle supporter pass.

May 1, 2011
Kentishgreen":njukhnql said:
I’m with Rich on this. Yes Dan gave us three quarters of a new ground, which of course was important, and the chance to see Peter Shilton turn out for us, but that’s about all. Still, sad to see any Argyle supporter pass.

Had Kemp had some financial backing we may have stayed up instead of appointing Shilton who in effect relegated Argyle twice.
Never easy supporting Argyle, whether you're a millionaire Chairman or just a lowly supporter.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
He was certainly an enigmatic character. He was good for journalism because of the amount of editorial written by them about both Argyle's on-field and off-field happenings. He had his principles and stood by them. R I P Dan Mc.

RIP Dan

Met him with my dad and a couple of school mates outside The City Ground before the FA cup game in 95. Seemed a nice bloke and spoke quite openly with us about the club. Then Stan Collymore shot round the corner in a red sports car and nearly wiped out all 5 of us :doh:

Oct 31, 2015
RiP lead Pilgrim.

The horse shoe would not have been built if it was not for Mr McCauley and he did put his own money into the club. The fact he stopped shilts and Warnock spending on huge wages is a business decision which in hind sight was the correct thing to do when you see what happened under Staplewallets.

Thoughts with the whole family at this difficult time for more than one reason.

Thank you Dan I am a grateful fan rest easy :scarf:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I recall a season when he threatened to close the club down midseason. Not sure which season.
I remember not renewing my season ticket in the following season.
However, subsequently, he instigated the building of the horseshoe for which I am grateful.
RIP.

Barrie Davis

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
I was fortunate enough to spend some time with him in the Torquay United boardroom after and Argyle v. TU match in the late 1990's. I asked himhow he had made his fortune. He said "Once you get some momentum, it takes care of itself. You need to get started". When I asked how, he said "I went once went into an engineering firm. I told them that everything they make of plastic should be made with steel and everything they make with steel should be made of plastic". Made a fortune.