River Allen Interview | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

River Allen Interview

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
IJN":3eak02b2 said:
Darren Bastow #2?

Kevin Hodges the player is THE Argyle legend. :nworthy:

Yes indeed. :nworthy:

But Kevin had something of the other Kevin (Keegan) about him. Driven to succeed and to make sacrifices, work hard and take knockbacks to get there.
I am sure criticism of his methods are that he tried to instil those characteristics into young guys who just didn't have that same view of football as a career. (No shame in that).

So Bastow and Allen were maybe 'better' players than Hodgie? But skill and talent just ain't enough.

River Allen is obviously a thoughtful individual.

Individual people make their life choices. I hope that they find happiness and fulfilment in whatever they do.

Jul 3, 2006
IJN":yb0icufv said:
Darren Bastow #2?

It's easy to sneer at Darren Bastow, but he was a 17 year old boy when he left Argyle.

Whatever his faults as a young man, the club should also have reflected on how they created a culture that resulted in a potentially world class player walking away from the game.

You're talking about teenage kids going into a changing room full of seasoned pros, with big egos/characters, in a very hierarchical environment where "banter" (ie ritual mockery and humiliation) is rife.

Most of these young lads will not be from especially worldly or privileged backgrounds, and will have largely forsaken education to concentrate on football. So they're not going to be super self assured personalities.

Creating a welcoming atmosphere where they can feel confident and enjoy football is as much a part of successful youth development as scouting, coaching, facilities etc. From the River Allen interview, it seems that (until recently?) we haven't been doing well in this respect.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Feb 8, 2016
That was an enjoyable read and clearly there were some issues at Argyle when he was a young pro

However,River has had a number of clubs and seems to have differences with a few managers.He comes across as someone who gets most enjoyment from playing football with his mates and having a few beers afterwards and there is nothing wrong with that

Jul 14, 2008
Devizes Green":6rqro6kn said:
He comes across as someone who gets most enjoyment from playing football with his mates and having a few beers afterwards and there is nothing wrong with that
True but there are millions of people out there who would have dearly loved to have been a professional footballer but never had the talent. Itā€™s pretty annoying when you see people who have the talent but just canā€™t be bothered.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Brixton 'ill Pilgrim":3sgyyioo said:
IJN":3sgyyioo said:
Darren Bastow #2?

It's easy to sneer at Darren Bastow, but he was a 17 year old boy when he left Argyle.

I wasn't sneering, and I happen to agree with you.

As others have said though, it's annoying to those of us that have two left feet and would have DIED to have played in the green shirt.

Sep 3, 2009
Thought Allen came across quite well. He knows himself well enough to understand that being treated like a 2nd class citizen by lower league pros wasnā€™t right for him. Itā€™s not as if he is a waster - heā€™s loving his football now, whilst carving out a career for himself. Old head on young shoulders, I reckon.

As for Hodges, he isnā€™t the greatest talent iā€™ve seen in an Argyle shirt but heā€™ll always be my favourite player.

Jan 27, 2012
Rush Goalie":5nfekt3k said:
As for Hodges, he isnā€™t the greatest talent iā€™ve seen in an Argyle shirt but heā€™ll always be my favourite player.

He's played more games at higher level than the likes of Mayor and scored a lot more goals. Without checking, I think he was a regular in the Argyle team that finished in one of the club's highest ever league positions- 6th or 7th in what is now the Championship. He was also a key part in winning promotion to that division (16 goals from the wing).

That's a good enough player for me.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Not too keen on judging what went before, and certainly not a club legend.

But now having someone who was in charge of Evertonā€™s academy producing the likes of Wayne Rooney, and overseeing England youth World Cup success... thatā€™s quite something and has to be an improvement on any youth set up weā€™ve ever had.

Keepitgreen

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Biggs":1ugno460 said:

But now having someone who was in charge of Evertonā€™s academy producing the likes of Wayne Rooney, and overseeing England youth World Cup success... thatā€™s quite something and has to be an improvement on any youth set up weā€™ve ever had.
I don't know if you're actually saying that he's not a club legend or you're not keen on deciding what makes a legend.

14 years as a player, record appearances at 620 scoring 87 goals, and then to go on and manage the club.

He's a club legend in my book.

The less said about his departure the better. I'll just remember what he did for our club.

May 8, 2011
Biggs":2xefipvq said:

It is going to take a lot to improve on the youth set up that existed just prior to administration that produced the likes Dan Gosling, Jack Stephens and Christian Walton.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Keepitgreen":11x9mlth said:
Biggs":11x9mlth said:

I don't know if you're actually saying that he's not a club legend or you're not keen on deciding what makes a legend.

14 years as a player, record appearances at 620 scoring 87 goals, and then to go on and manage the club.

The less said about his departure the better. I'll just remember what he did for our club.

Heā€™s not keen on judging someone who is a club legend, which Hodges certainly is? Thatā€™s how I read it.

Keepitgreen

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
GreenThing":yuq5gag8 said:
Keepitgreen":yuq5gag8 said:
Biggs":yuq5gag8 said:

Heā€™s not keen on judging someone who is a club legend, which Hodges certainly is? Thatā€™s how I read it.
Yes, I see it now. Ta.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yes it was that :lol:

Sep 3, 2009
gaspargomez":3sphnto2 said:
Rush Goalie":3sphnto2 said:

He's played more games at higher level than the likes of Mayor and scored a lot more goals. Without checking, I think he was a regular in the Argyle team that finished in one of the club's highest ever league positions- 6th or 7th in what is now the Championship. He was also a key part in winning promotion to that division (16 goals from the wing).

That's a good enough player for me.

Not sure what your point is? I loved Hodges as a player and he was a great pro. As I say, my all time Argyle favourite.

Have there been better players to pull on the green in my time? Yes.