Ryan Hardie what's wrong? | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Hardie what's wrong?

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I think I am right in recalling that last season (and perhaps the one before) and in the early part of this seasonArgyle significantly outperformed their Expected Goals statistcs. I think this applied to the team as a whole but also to Ryan Hardie and means that Argyle (and Hardie) were scoring more goals than would be expected on average from players at the same level from the same goalscoring positions. In other words, rather than seeing the current lack of goals as being some kind of drop off from what would be expected of a Championship level striker, it can be argued that all we are seeing now is a ‘normal’ level of finishing. The problem that Hardie has made for himself is that he was previously performing well above average and now people expect that to continue. Looking at his stats overall, he’s performed well and had a good, above-average in fact, goalscoring season.

(To take the Norwich game as an example, Argyle’s total expected goals stat was 1.12, so the team, as a whole, scored pretty much the number of goals that a team would be expected to score from the chances made. In contrast, Norwich’s xG stat was 1.86 so they also scored pretty much the ‘right’ number of goals from their chances. Basically, although some chances were missed by both sides, the overall level of finishing in that game ended up almost exactly as expected - 3 goals versus 2.98 expected goals)

Reactions: SurreyGreen
Sep 6, 2006
I think I am right in recalling that last season (and perhaps the one before) and in the early part of this seasonArgyle significantly outperformed their Expected Goals statistcs. I think this applied to the team as a whole but also to Ryan Hardie and means that Argyle (and Hardie) were scoring more goals than would be expected on average from players at the same level from the same goalscoring positions. In other words, rather than seeing the current lack of goals as being some kind of drop off from what would be expected of a Championship level striker, it can be argued that all we are seeing now is a ‘normal’ level of finishing. The problem that Hardie has made for himself is that he was previously performing well above average and now people expect that to continue. Looking at his stats overall, he’s performed well and had a good, above-average in fact, goalscoring season.

(To take the Norwich game as an example, Argyle’s total expected goals stat was 1.12, so the team, as a whole, scored pretty much the number of goals that a team would be expected to score from the chances made. In contrast, Norwich’s xG stat was 1.86 so they also scored pretty much the ‘right’ number of goals from their chances. Basically, although some chances were missed by both sides, the overall level of finishing in that game ended up almost exactly as expected - 3 goals versus 2.98 expected goals)
But surely the xg of 1.12 was before the game?! Not based on the chances during the game. I have read Hardie xg for the season so far is 12 which is what he has got.

Apr 9, 2011
A very basic question with a straightforward answer that many anti-foster posters won't have thought about. Because they can't grasp the fact that a situation could well be the fault of various people (as in members of staff) as opposed to just a bloke who was hired in the second week of Jan! Laughable really but humans are quite dreadful as we have witnessed during various elections / votes.

Of course the basic answer is Hardie has not ONE striker that he's competing with. Very very basic. Even in league 1 he had two potential replacements. The reality is in a division above that's far far better than league 1 Hardie should have been competing with at least two fellow attackers. The bloke is shattered, has a lot of pressure on him. Really a no brainer. But again, as always these sorts of posts disappear into the abyss and as usual quite basic / blinkered fans have their own silly views.

I have funnily enough witnessed a few of you recently who were very anti-foster just about grasping the points i've made in previous posts this last year and a half about not improving our squad especially in the two january transfer windows. But I have not a lot of gravitas so i'll leave it to the so called experts to take the credit.
Very true. The problem started in January with our inability to sign a back up for Hardie. He is constantly being asked to plough a lone furrow with no respite. Then to lose the players we did in January just compounded the situation

Mar 23, 2011
Fareham

People can argue against XG data, but when you look at large timescales the stats rarely lie.. 99% of the time events always balance themselves out.

Reactions: Jon with no H

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
People can argue against XG data, but when you look at large timescales the stats rarely lie.. 99% of the time events always balance themselves out.
Absolutely right, to the extent that only one player in world football has outperformed his xG for any real length of time beyond one season in a row.

Sadly, Inter Miami probably won't loan him out to us next season.

Reactions: SurreyGreen