Ryan Taylor Replacement | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ryan Taylor Replacement

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I don’t know what the answer is with Taylor. Can we afford to sign someone happy to warm the bench and fill in for him when he is injured or sign someone who will want to take his place and be capable of it? Taylor’s history indicates he is always likely to miss a good number of games and his meagre 54 goals in a 12/13 season career doesn’t seem to tally with just how important he is to the team judging by the stats with and without him in the side which are quite astounding.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
memory man":2teff9ol said:
Pettgreen":2teff9ol said:
We have to find someone who won't mind bench warming. That's the problem. Thought Eaves was excellent today but would he want to be 2nd fiddle? I doubt it.
Get Church fit and maybe that's the answer.
Would love Lyle but I doubt that'll happen
It is my feeling that Church, decent as he is, is simply too injury-prone to take a risk with, unless it is on a "pay as you play" deal. The lad we got from Coventry - McNamee(?) - was a prime example. Excellent player but always one challenge from being injured.

I think you could be right there. We have done the same for Ness though? It's a challenge for DA, one he has alluded to in the past with targets turning down at the last moment and us flapping and signing shiftkey being a prime example.
Being a back up target man and wanting to be at Argyle is as rare as unicorn eggs.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Balham_Green":1cykzsre said:
Quintrell_Green":1cykzsre said:
Pettgreen":1cykzsre said:
We have to find someone who won't mind bench warming. That's the problem. Thought Eaves was excellent today but would he want to be 2nd fiddle? I doubt it.
Get Church fit and maybe that's the answer.
Would love Lyle but I doubt that'll happen

Perhaps DA will amend a habit of a lifetime and employ 2 out and out strikers next season. If only Argyle could source a couple in the mould of Mariner and Rafferty once again. Could Eaves and Ryan Taylor work? Certainly the Gills striker must have left an impression on DA on the touch line, given he scored a hat trick on the last day of the season against his team

Mariner and Rafferty from 19 70s. Tactics have moved on you know! One up front has worked very well for us when it's the right 'one'.

Well this is a first. No aggression, sensible post. And I'm in full agreement! Long may it continue!

Jun 2, 2016
Derek has learned his lesson this season. He'll have a plan, because he knows you can't get out of League 1 without a couple of strikers.
Be patient, sit back and let it unfold.

Feb 17, 2017
Lyle taylor for me, he may not play that role specifically but i believe he is a more rounded player than ryan taylor, certainly has more pace, can play both target man and on the shoulder. Realistically though could we afford him, same with harrison. I think it shows how important a target man is to this team by the fact we look much better even with bradley up front.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Would we have got 4 points more with a back up striker to Taylor ?

Over the course of the season with the amount of games Taylor missed I would say definitely yes to 4 pts and TBH I don't think we would of been far off auto's.

Not having adequate cover was a big mistake and not realising that and doing something about it in January was an even bigger mistake.

Hopefully DA has learnt something from this and we move forward next season

Sep 6, 2006
the_corkscrew":37epluyt said:
Derek has learned his lesson this season. He'll have a plan, because he knows you can't get out of League 1 without a couple of strikers.
Be patient, sit back and let it unfold.

That's good then. Most people would have known that before start of season though.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Can I offer some constructive advice for the finance dept. Have they heard of ebay? Gumtree? Freecycle? You can get some real bargains. Hate to think of them getting stung for 15 grand like they spent on Blissett again

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Will we play the same way next season? Will the two number 10's stay? If not then a Taylor replacement is not that critical but if we do I was impressed with Tom Eaves today and he would push Taylor for a starting place.

Mar 14, 2009
PL2 3DQ":2bzzx0hu said:
Will we play the same way next season? Will the two number 10's stay? If not then a Taylor replacement is not that critical but if we do I was impressed with Tom Eaves today and he would push Taylor for a starting place.

I would hope we do, especially at home. Sides tend to sit back more.

Away from home l would like to see more pace uptop because of the spaces for counter attacks.

I’d like to see more flexibility in our team / squad as when we went we plan A it was very good. Plan B however didn’t really exist.

Metal_Green_Mickey":w6nvind6 said:
PL2 3DQ":w6nvind6 said:

I would hope we do, especially at home. Sides tend to sit back more.

Away from home l would like to see more pace uptop because of the spaces for counter attacks.

I’d like to see more flexibility in our team / squad as when we went we plan A it was very good. Plan B however didn’t really exist.

Inevitably, I only saw very few games last season but read/listened to all Argyle news throughout the season - so that MAY allow me to voice my opinion with some credibility ?

MGM refutes DA had a Plan B, maybe he is right.

Plan A worked eventually and we were rewarded with that rapidity of status.

BUT, when adversity did strike in numerous ways, we found it difficult to cope with.

Why ?

A lack of depth of quality players ?

Too rigid a system ?

A game plan we thought would work EVERY time against ANY opposition ?

Little flexibility with team selection due to some of the reasons already mentioned ?

We were left "wanting" ONLY on a few occasions - thankfully.

Some opposition found us out and maximised their thinking.

On reflection, we have had a great season - well done to EVERYONE.

The Green Army, I salute you, YOU have been awesome.

Now what happens ?

Will DA cull the "has beens" ?

Find / Invite "new little gems" for the coming season ?

Will JB offer him a reasonable/adequate/competitive budget to progress next year ?

I DO NOT care if we are over-achieving, money does NOT guarantee to buy success in football - it only helps !!

I await patiently, the progress I HOPE to see in many facets of PAFC - albeit from afar !

Glad that most of you have had a great ride this season.

Enjoy the summer - IF it arrives in the UK ?

Come back refreshed and "do it all again" in August and beyond !!!

I am off to The Philippines to live in July - but I will still be listening and watching EVERYTHING.

You cannot escape me. :facepalm:

Keep the Faith :scarf:

Mar 23, 2008
I think we need more target men. One senior pro to rotate with Taylor, as he is now 30 and injuries catch up with you in that role, getting battered every week. Then I think we also need a third target man, maybe a youngster, possibly on loan or someone with promise from non league. We have to cover that position because under Adams when we have a good target man we do very well, such as RR firing when he first came in, then Brunt, then Matt, the following season we were on fire when Spencer was playing well, then latterly Taylor and him again this year. When we don't have that in form focal point is when we struggle and unsurprisingly the likes of Fletcher and Ciftci this year and Goodwillie last year struggled in a role alien to them and the ball doesn't stick up top. Akinde would be immense in that role but would exorct after this season a good chunk of the budget to be spent up top.

Mar 5, 2012
Welwyn Pilgrim":28dyrquj said:
Will Akinde stay at Barnet now they've been relegated ?? I also like the look of Stockley at Exeter ..

Exactly what I was going to say, this fella weighs in with goals wherever he goes and I'm sure DA could sell a move to him where he. Would be second choice since he's about to be playing in the national league.