Safe Standing | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Safe Standing

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":3bx2c7lk said:
So as an example then Paul, when will ECFC have to get rid of their "Big" Bank and install seats?

Unless current legislation changes in the meantime, they must go all seater after they have spent three consecutive seasons in the Championship. Exactly the same as it was for Argyle.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
I would be interested to know what the cost of converting existing seating sections to safe standing is, as this is likely to be a major issue for a club like Argyle. Will it generate bigger crowds ? Almost certainly not, so the question will be why spend money converting seating to safe standing, just to make people like me, who prefer standing, happier ?

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Dorset Pilgrim":3b6oaefj said:
I would be interested to know what the cost of converting existing seating sections to safe standing is, as this is likely to be a major issue for a club like Argyle. Will it generate bigger crowds ? Almost certainly not, so the question will be why spend money converting seating to safe standing, just to make people like me, who prefer standing, happier ?

It isn't a question of making those who want to stand happier, it is a question of making those who stand and those around them who sit safer. Rail 'seating' gives everybody who stands a rail in front of them to stop them falling forward and down the terracing. As things are, falling forward from a standing position most likely means falling onto the seats in front and their occupants. The added attraction of safe standing is that if the seats are locked in the up position so that they cannot be sat on, then the capacity of those rows can be increased - something that Argyle doesn't need at the moment. The converse is that the seats can be locked in the down position, provided there is room to pass in front of them. The old terraces have/had barriers every so often to try to stop an avalanche of people falling forward, which was always inadequate.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
jimsing":2bvzl9nc said:
That'll be never, then.

Exactly so it’s not an even playing field is it?

That’s like saying Argyle have to buy a Jumbotron screen..........Once they get into the semi final of the Champions League.

The seating rules are an arse Paul,

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":206tthxs said:
jimsing":206tthxs said:
That'll be never, then.

Exactly so it’s not an even playing field is it?

That’s like saying Argyle have to buy a Jumbotron screen..........Once they get into the semi final of the Champions League.

The seating rules are an arse Paul,

They may well be but I'm just saying it as it is. That being said I have been to more than twenty matches this season in all seater stadiums and the only place I have been made to sit is at Home Park in League Two.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think that's another debate.

The law of the land is a disgrace in this case.

We cannot stand as it's too dangerous and it has to be enforced at Home Park yet 43 miles away Exeter fans can watch their team on terracing, simply because they haven't played in the higher leagues. Explain that one away! :think:

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":1sakv10f said:
I think that's another debate.

The law of the land is a disgrace in this case.

We cannot stand as it's too dangerous and it has to be enforced at Home Park yet 43 miles away Exeter fans can watch their team on terracing, simply because they haven't played in the higher leagues. Explain that one away! :think:

Who says standing is dangerous? The legislation just says that sitting is safer than standing on open terraces.

The concession that Exeter City hide behind is only there for financial reasons. Legislators are never going to allow standards to go backwards which is what you seem to be asking for.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Even though that's Old Trafford, that's a beautiful sight.

This must be top of the agenda at Home Park in terms of offering fans a positive matchday experience.
There has not been a single game since the introduction of seats to the Devonport End where there hasn't been at least several hundred supporters standing behind the goal. It is universally recognised that if you come to a game and go in that area you will have to stand to see the action (I don't go I'm that area fwiw). So Argyle would be saving themselves all kinds of headaches if they moved rapidly to install rail seats in that area.

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
With all those not happy with the legroom in the mayflower why not put the rail seats up there, solves 2 problems then 😂 😂 😂

Reactions: Argylegames

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
With all those not happy with the legroom in the mayflower why not put the rail seats up there, solves 2 problems then 😂 😂 😂
Might be a problem for matches where the seats had to be in a locked down position. Apparently when they are, it makes passing a person already in their seat quite a problem as the seat cannot tip up to allow for passing room. As space is already tight in the Mayflower Upper, then that is not the place for them. Same as Old Trafford, a trial section in the Devonport/Lyndhurst corner might be worth pursuing if/when funds permit.

Oct 15, 2017
Might be a problem for matches where the seats had to be in a locked down position. Apparently when they are, it makes passing a person already in their seat quite a problem as the seat cannot tip up to allow for passing room. As space is already tight in the Mayflower Upper, then that is not the place for them. Same as Old Trafford, a trial section in the Devonport/Lyndhurst corner might be worth pursuing if/when funds permit.

While I'm not a fan of any form of standing in football grounds with large crowds I would
like to see rails in rows with hinged seats as two seasons ago while going for a drink at halftime, I was accidentally knocked over into the row below I was badly bruised for weeks
but fortunately nothing more serious. I'm sure a safety rail could have prevented that.
While on the subject of safety rails it would be a good idea to fit handrails to the steps,
I have seen many fans on walking sticks and others being assisted up and down to and from their respective rows. If you look at the new lower mayflower stand at each end
there are double handrails where there is less seating and nothing in between, whats that
all about. Sorry for the rant but I'm still sore no pun intended.
On a final note I have been to Home park since the late forties with crowds of 25 to 40
thousand standing in all parts of the ground believe you me there was a lot of surging
Particularly at big games like the one between Man Utd and St Etienne and it was
Frightening so that's why I'm not a fan of any form of standing.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
The fact is that safe standing is safer than standing in areas designed only for seating. I think there is evidence that decision-makers nationally are moving towards the view that safe standing should be supported. As far as Argyle is concerned converting the Bobby's garden area at some point won't make standing in the Devonport, etc. safer and fans are likely to continue to wish to be behind the goalmouth. So a way has to be found of financing the conversion of a significant part of the central Devonport to safe standing. Perhaps it could be some form of investment bond that fans could buy into, etc. I think there must be a way of doing it but it would be interesting to know the costs involved in installing the rail seating.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
While I'm not a fan of any form of standing in football grounds with large crowds I would
like to see rails in rows with hinged seats as two seasons ago while going for a drink at halftime, I was accidentally knocked over into the row below I was badly bruised for weeks
but fortunately nothing more serious. I'm sure a safety rail could have prevented that.
While on the subject of safety rails it would be a good idea to fit handrails to the steps,
I have seen many fans on walking sticks and others being assisted up and down to and from their respective rows. If you look at the new lower mayflower stand at each end
there are double handrails where there is less seating and nothing in between, whats that
all about. Sorry for the rant but I'm still sore no pun intended.
On a final note I have been to Home park since the late forties with crowds of 25 to 40
thousand standing in all parts of the ground believe you me there was a lot of surging
Particularly at big games like the one between Man Utd and St Etienne and it was
Frightening so that's why I'm not a fan of any form of standing.
Rail seats prevent surging. It's not possible to surge if every row is an entire end to end crash barrier. The grounds you are talking about had row upon row of space to surge into. Rail seating has been used in Germany in large crowds (including Werder Bremen who I have seen from the standing section) for many years. There's never any surging, because it could not possibly happen thanks to the design of rail seating.