Sky Sports News Football Show. (Jephcott) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sky Sports News Football Show. (Jephcott)

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Yep Ashton and Adam stick in my mind too. Think that was the day Adam terrorised Ryan Leonard on his Argyle debut?

Then of course there were those players who used to turn up against us and always have a blinder. Kevin Francis for instance.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":36mp4n22 said:
Dan Ellard":36mp4n22 said:
I was comparing 18/19 and 17/18, our two seasons in League 1.

Oops, my apologies. From memory we certainly played better with Taylor up front alone, so I do agree with you. Getting the best out of Ladapo and playing two up front weakened us as a team.

But then again we lost Bradley and Threlkeld and our defence went to ruin when Ladapo was in the team. From memory we got relegated having scored a ridiculous amount of goals.
No worries - and I agree, whilst it would perhaps be deemed overly "hipster" to blame the centre forward for us conceding so many goals, we just couldn't get a foothold in games and get our midfielders on the ball when he played, because his hold up play was so poor.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I remember the stand out performance from Ashton too. Another outstanding performance I recall was Stuart McCall for Bradford City, I think in the old 3rd division before his big money move to Everton.

Mar 20, 2008
Remember Ashton and Adam as described - both brilliant - my other abiding memory though is Matty Etherington getting a standing ovation playing in his last game for Peterborough - he was brilliant and showed our then team up for the limited honest tryers we were

Keith Whitfield

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 30, 2015
To be honest, Ian, I had forgotten about the Charlie Adam legal row. Sometimes it's best to ignore all of the dodgy dealings around the edge of the game and just remember the sublime bits of footballing genius that come your way. In any event, the Blackpool board at that time probably deserved much of what came their way. Their fans deserved much, much better. How many clubs can you say that about?

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
IJN":27ajlqqj said:
Keith_Whitfield":27ajlqqj said:
On a different note, does anyone else remember the incredible performance by Dean Ashton for Crewe at Home Park when they demolished us 3-1 on a Tuesday night? I remember it because a number of us said at the time that here was the next Paul Mariner. He was here, there and everywhere and was even strong enough to hold off Cocko in his prime. Think he might have scored a couple into the bargain. Watched out for him after that and wasn't surprised when Norwich and then West Ham paid big money for him and England called him up. Sadly, he broke his ankle in training for England (Shaun Wright-Phillips being the culprit) and never achieved his immense potential.

Absolutely DO remember that game. We even gave him a standing ovation as he came off (slightly) injured that night.

What a performance that was and it did compare with Mariner v Rochdale and loads of remarked on it. I can also remember he had a very strange haircut that night (like a Guinea Pig) but I have no idea why that sticks in my mind.

THE best performance I've seen from an opposing player at Home Park. I'll never forget it.

Best performance at HP for me was when we lost 0-4 to Swindon. Duncan Shearer scoring all 4 goals. He got clapped off at the end by the entire stadium I recall.

Aug 5, 2016
Bobby Zamora when he tore us a new one for Brighton. What a player he was when he was Jephcott’s age.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Emu":oqwb8rth said:
Yep Ashton and Adam stick in my mind too. Think that was the day Adam terrorised Ryan Leonard on his Argyle debut?

Then of course there were those players who used to turn up against us and always have a blinder. Kevin Francis for instance.

Blimey, yes Kevin Francis! He was a giant and we were always terrified of him.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
castlegreen":37hat0lt said:
Remember Ashton and Adam as described - both brilliant - my other abiding memory though is Matty Etherington getting a standing ovation playing in his last game for Peterborough - he was brilliant and showed our then team up for the limited honest tryers we were

Remember the Etherington game he was unbelievable that day. West Country boy as well.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Another one that springs to mind is Peter Beagrie in the late 80's. Always used to have a good game at Home Park.

Dec 30, 2011
Keith_Whitfield":3oekgvw7 said:
On a different note, does anyone else remember the incredible performance by Dean Ashton for Crewe at Home Park when they demolished us 3-1 on a Tuesday night? I remember it because a number of us said at the time that here was the next Paul Mariner. He was here, there and everywhere and was even strong enough to hold off Cocko in his prime. Think he might have scored a couple into the bargain. Watched out for him after that and wasn't surprised when Norwich and then West Ham paid big money for him and England called him up. Sadly, he broke his ankle in training for England (Shaun Wright-Phillips being the culprit) and never achieved his immense potential.

I was hugely impressed by Ashton when I saw him in the flesh a couple time and thought he was going to have a great England career too until the leg break