So, your thoughts on the Championship? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

So, your thoughts on the Championship?

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
Great to be in the Championship again next season, it's a really competitive league when you look at the table only 6 points separated us from 14th place. The new manager will have to do some rebuilding but it need not cost a fortune to shape a side capable of staying clear of relegation, if the right appointment is made.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
The Telegraph today remarked about Ipswich being promoted with a League 1 team. Absolute rollocks, since last January’s window they had the makings of a decent Championship side and we did so well to finish above them.
Next season, our war chest will be almost 3 times as much but without Whittaker and Cooper for definite and one or two others as probables we’ll have a very different team.
Bring on year two.

Rowlypilgrim

Jam First
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 13, 2021
My mate is a long suffering York fan who watches football anywhere and he rates the Championship as the best league he’s watched. I tend to agree. So competitive but at the same time a huge gap between top and bottom. That seems like a contradiction that even I can’t work out.

So glad we stayed up so we can do it all again next season. A big close season to look forward to - and who knows, Championship survival may just encourage some inward investment.

Today is a good day.
Thoroughly enjoyed the quality of the footy on display, what a standard this division is at!

It’s however dominated by the clubs with the biggest wallets. Whether that be down to mega rich owners, ludicrous parachute payments which create a cartel, the end result is a very un level playing field.

In the end, the team spirit, unity and pride returned and got the team over the line but we can’t rely on that again next season alone. The team, board and supporters all felt betrayed by our charismatic coach doing what he did, when he did and that seriously disrupted our momentum.

If however we are all brutally honest we were often outclassed and indeed battered by some opponents even with SS here but the never say die spirit coupled with a mercurial attacking threat, elevated us higher than our play deserved on occasions.

For me next season all hinges on inward investment to improve the squad, whether that comes from new investors or selling the family silver eg MW or a mix of the 2. So the new manager needs to be able to develop a blend of youth, energy, experience and nous with a more physical approach and height as well as pace in the team. Big close season coming up, am cautiously optimistic for next season.

Big thanks and well done to all for the wins against Leicester and Hull against all the odds and a special round of applause for our chairman who must be drained.

Feb 22, 2021
The step up in quality in each league is massive. To think Pompey Derby and probably Bolton will add to the Championship next season is scary. We need to get back to data driven signings. Best of luck to Hallett in securing further investment 👍 we need this to be able to stay in this cut throat league. A very busy summer with lots of things need sorting. Proud of what we achieved this season after all the issues from December. Can't wait for August already. COYG

Reactions: pafc jack
Oct 10, 2018
It’s such a competitive league. I absolutely love it. We will have learned a lot this season including from our mistakes. We will be favourites for relegation next season so let’s hope we put that learning to good use. We will need to
Never listen to the pundits and broadcaster they always Lord over previous top flight teams, according to them were get relegated every season, if we believed them Argyle would be playing beside Torquay.

Staying this league was just the ultimate top finger solute to all those who doubted us, just because can't afford 30 million in the transfer market.

Looking forward to watching more dodgy grainy sky highlights on EFL show.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
But all the rest are £12m richer too
If it is that much then it would enable us to virtually double our playing budget, whereas for others it would be a more modest increase. I'm not sure it is anything like that much extra though.

Reactions: aNorthernSoul
Jan 5, 2023
Absolutely bonkers - seems impossible to predict the outcome of any match up with any confidence.

Was expecting a leap in quality, which was evident in every opponent. Wasn’t expecting the physicality, every side seems to have at least one player who looks like they could work a nightclub door!

There is a rump of a dozen or so teams who have been here for a while and never seem to threaten to exit via either end - I guess the next step for us is to try to build towards joining that group (think Bristol Preston Swansea Cardiff Hull Stoke Blackburn etc)

Reactions: 999mattyg
May 16, 2016
We've almost seen it this season but the next one might well demonstrate how tough it is if the 3 worst teams in the Premier League dominate this one. We're slowly seeing Premier League 2 developing thanks to the financial inequalities.

It's an extremely tough league where the amount of physicality surprises along with the ability to carry out the niggly darker stuff and blatant fouling that you'd not expect at this level. Unconscious bias from poorer than expected refereeing officials with decent away followings both at HP and from our own fans.

It's brilliant and I thank who or whatever for the chance to compete in it again for at least one more season.

Reactions: ChurPev

greenpig27

Jam First
Aug 16, 2005
plymouth
The Telegraph today remarked about Ipswich being promoted with a League 1 team. Absolute rollocks, since last January’s window they had the makings of a decent Championship side and we did so well to finish above them.
Next season, our war chest will be almost 3 times as much but without Whittaker and Cooper for definite and one or two others as probables we’ll have a very different team.
Bring on year two.
I have a feeling that , just maybe, Morgan W and Cooper may not want to leave ?