Stoke City v Argyle - the build up | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Stoke City v Argyle - the build up

Who do you think will win?

• Stoke

Votes: 21 8.0%
  • Argyle

Votes: 120 45.8%
  • I'll take a draw

Votes: 121 46.2%

• Total voters
Nov 18, 2011
Have to say that Stoke is the original GNS, doesn't seem to have a city centre as such and all the roads in the "middle" remind me of Edbrington Street for some reason. Small shops in a street sort of going nowhere.Not that I am decrying anyone who should happen to live in Edbrington Street or indeed streets beyond. Mind you I haven't, luckily enough, had reason to visit Stoke on Trent for a number of years and maybe in my absence it has become a " desres"!.I somehow can't envisage that this has somehow become the case and wish Mr and Mrs Schumacher and their family all the very best in their new home. Many happy days frolicking on the errr beach in the summer sunshine I, m sure. It's only, errr about 4 hours drive away. Enjoy. Coygs!!!.
The Bet365 is a bit of a rubbish day out due to the lack of facilities on the way but in contrast, their neighbours Port Vale is a great one. Loads of good welcoming pubs on the walk from Longport station to the ground.

As with many towns there's good bits and not so good bits.

Anyway, there's no way Schuey will be living in Stoke.

Said old Green

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jan 3, 2023
Getting to Formby beach in an hour from Stoke would be an achievement but I'll give you that with an extra half hour or so. I take the pooches there regularly & it's beautiful
You're right there is lovely countryside around Stoke, especially out towards Leek & Trentham Gardens (where a wild group of monkeys live) is lovely & actually part of Stoke.
The town ain't great but the same can be said for parts of Plymouth.
I live in Ormskirk , between Liverpool and Southport and it takes me an hour to drive to Stoke.

Nov 18, 2011
Always amuses me when people defend somewhere as not being carp by saying the places near it are nice. At least we have Central Park, the Hoe, and the Barbican without the actual city limits.
Can't deny thought that having the Moors near to Plymouth is a big selling point for many people.

Sep 28, 2022
Nonsense. Formby beach is about an hour away .
Stoke is a typical northern town but you have gorgeous villages in beautiful Shropshire and Cheshire only 20-30 minutes away.
However let's not allow facts to get in the way of your illusion.
Ah yes my mistake, I forgot about errr Formby Beach,who wouldn't!. No doubt there are beautiful villages very close to Stoke on Trent but my comment was purely about Stoke on Trent and it's lack of a recognisable city centre. That situation is probably due to the fact that it's 4 or 5 smaller towns combined into the city of Stoke on Trent. Obviously my comment on it being the original Gns is with a certain degree of tongue in cheek and there is always someone who takes umbridge, so welcome. Thank you for a) putting me right and b) in my place. Regards.

• Haha
Reactions: Landsender

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Came across this article
---------

Please see the first post of this thread. Admin.

Last edited by a moderator:

PutneyPete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ PASALB Member
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
Stoke City
Official website
bet365 ground guide
Oatcake fans forum
Twitter
Latest news

Find car parking near the stadium with our partner ... Just Park.

Wednesday

Steven Schumacher v Neil Dewsnip - from school to Championship showdown ... Stoke Sentinel.

According to Sky Bet Stoke are favourites to win at 4/5, an Argyle win is placed at 7/2 and the draw has odds of 13/5.

Schumacher's record at Stoke - 21 league games: won 6, drawn 6, lost 9. Points 24. Goals for 20, goals against 30.
Argyle - 21 league games since Schumacher left: won 5, drawn 7, lost 9. Points 22. Goals for 24, goals against 32.

Tuesday

Tickets and coach Travel
Tickets for Argyle fans have sold out ... club website.
All tickets set for collection must be picked up from the ticket office at Home Park Stadium.
There are no collections on the day at the bet365 Stadium

The Miles Away Coaches have also sold out.

Referee
Robert Madley is the whistleblower for the game, he was the man in the middle for Argyle's 3-3 draw against Watford at Home Park in January. So far this season he has issued 112 yellow cards and five reds in 24 games.
He will be assisted on Saturday by Alex James and Blake Antrobus while Andrew Kitchen is the fourth official.

Pubs for away fans
There are very few places in close proximity to the ground and the town centre is a 40-minute walk from the stadium.
There is a Holiday Inn and a Harvester that allow away fans. A bit further away on Dennis Viollet Avenue is a Powerleague complex that also has a bar, which permits away supporters. Longton Rugby Club, which has two bars, is also an option and is around 20 minutes from the stadium.

If arriving by train, the Terrace Bar is minutes away from the station and welcomes travelling fans.
Stoke Railway Station is just over two miles away from the bet365 Stadium

….‘There are some shuttle buses that run from Glebe Street in Stoke up to the Bet365 Stadium, which departs every 15 minutes before kick-off. It is only about a five-minute walk from the station.

There are return buses after the game back to Glebe Street from behind the Sentinel (East) Stand’.

‘To catch this bus, turn right from the station and head down Station Road. At the bottom of Station Road at the traffic lights, turn right to go along Leek Road (A52). Then go straight across the A500 dual carriageway and into Glebe Street which is straight across in front of you. You should then see the line of buses that will take you to the stadium.’. The shuttle bus costs a return ticket £4 Adults, £2 Concessions.

From https://footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/championship/bet365-stadium-stoke-city.html

Alternative is to Walk.
"It took us less than 30 minutes to walk to the stadium from the station, using this route: Turn right from the station and head down Station Road. At the lights, turn right along Leek Road (A52), under the railway line and then left down onto the towpath of the Trent & Mersey Canal. Follow the towpath until you are level with the stadium, where two footbridges take you over the canal and then the railway line, straight into the ground near the South Stand away end."

Reactions: Paul green14
Sep 28, 2022
Was George Formby named after the town in which he grew up as Eric Morecambe, who, s real name was Eric Bartholomew. Closer to home can't say I, ve heard of anyone famous being born in Crapstone.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Was George Formby named after the town in which he grew up as Eric Morecambe, who, s real name was Eric Bartholomew. Closer to home can't say I, ve heard of anyone famous being born in Crapstone.
He was from Wigan and took his father's stage name. I have walked past his grave in Warrington cemetery several times as my mother in law's grave is about 30m along from his.

Reactions: Sun Stonehouse
Oct 5, 2022
The Bet365 is a bit of a rubbish day out due to the lack of facilities on the way but in contrast, their neighbours Port Vale is a great one. Loads of good welcoming pubs on the walk from Longport station to the ground.

As with many towns there's good bits and not so good bits.

Anyway, there's no way Schuey will be living in Stoke.
Why would he when Wolverhampton is less than an hour away?