Style of play | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Style of play

Mar 23, 2008
When considering our new manager, I think it's really important to consider what makes us tick and the style of play.
We are at our best when we play with real purpose and verve with the crowd on board. Identity wise, I'm not sure a possession based style ie necessarily the way to go, along the lines of Swansea for example.
I'm not suggesting we go long ball but just thinking that yesterday the football in the first half was brilliant, quick and purposeful whereas Hull were more possession based but slower in their build up.
I don't think that suits us, as the underdogs especially at home, to thrive I think we need a real 'up and at them' style, thoughts?

Reactions: Railway sleeper

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Yep that style of play is non-negotiable, I think maybe you can sum up the style we’re good at as ‘high risk’? Or maybe even high risk and ‘fun’.

As you say, slow possession based football is actually quite low risk.

Reactions: Deacster
Nov 22, 2018
What Sheff Wed did by staying up was incredible. We need to look into replicating their fortunes. I would love to see a speedier build up, but also with more in midfield. Watching Argyle for the last two years, we almost always get dominated in midfield. 4-2-3-1 for me, with the more defensive 2 and the centre of the 3 being interconnected allowing for fluency going forward.

On that note, it's easy to think about the 'way we play' being limited to having the ball, and not out of possession. I really dislike the way we sat off teams under IF and N/D.

Oct 31, 2022
We have a squad built for 3 ATB systems.

If we are to evolve and match what the majority of the top 44 sides in the country are doing, we need to play a 4.

To do that, we will need an overhaul in the squad.

But the style, as others have said, non-negotiable, attacking football. That requires players with pace and excellent ball carrying ability.

I don't mind us giving up possession, as long as we look to go forward when we do get it. BUT, I really don't like a purely counter attacking based system. It's a nightmare when you fall behind early and it's no good against other teams that don't want the ball.

Personally, I think we should be looking to move to a back 4. But it does require a big reshuffle, requiring outgoings to players we've seen as key for a while.
IMO we cannot persist with a 2 man midfield (with wing backs) and expect to ever win the midfield in the championship.

Jul 28, 2020
Ipswich have shown the way, in my view

4-2-3-1

Direct.Loads of width and speed. Not too much tippy-tappy football, combatative ( sam morsy in midfield)

Mar 23, 2008
E
Ipswich have shown the way, in my view

4-2-3-1

Direct.Loads of width and speed. Not too much tippy-tappy football, combatative ( sam morsy in midfield)
Exactly that, watched the highlights of their win against Huddersfield on Saturday, reminded me of the early season games at HP in terms of the style of play.

Reactions: Railway sleeper