Summer Transfer Rumour Round Up | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Summer Transfer Rumour Round Up

Mar 8, 2024
Walthamstow
I know many will feel like £8m for Coops is good business for Argyle, especially given his recent multiple kneeknacks, but I’m not convinced.

I genuinely believe he can grow into a top 10 keeper in the country, and will win England caps. I think there’s every chance if we extended him for a couple more years that £8m price tag would become £15m or even more, and we’d have two more years of the best GK outside the premier league. Hazard is adequate, sure – although I have my misgivings about his linerootedness, presence and distribution – and adequacy is a serious downgrade on excellence.

Oct 19, 2021
I know many will feel like £8m for Coops is good business for Argyle, especially given his recent multiple kneeknacks, but I’m not convinced.

I genuinely believe he can grow into a top 10 keeper in the country, and will win England caps. I think there’s every chance if we extended him for a couple more years that £8m price tag would become £15m or even more, and we’d have two more years of the best GK outside the premier league. Hazard is adequate, sure – although I have my misgivings about his linerootedness, presence and distribution – and adequacy is a serious downgrade on excellence.
I think I agree with that. We certainly won’t be getting his maximum value with only one year remaining on his contract which would be a great shame.

Apr 1, 2009

"If we extended him"? It's a two way process. Cooper is going (if he is) because he has agreed to a contract that will presumably pay him significantly more money. In other words he wants to take up this opportunity. How do you "extend" him in such circumstances?

greenpig27

Jam First
Aug 16, 2005
plymouth

Lovely word ! :love:

Mar 1, 2024
Wigan

It’s good business if the alternative is 0 when his contract is up. I have no questions over his commitment to argyle but he and the club know he’s a massive talent that can be a the top of the game but it’s a short career and unfortunately he won’t reach that staying with us

Reactions: Penmaster and IvyG
Mar 8, 2024
Walthamstow
"If we extended him"? It's a two way process. Cooper is going (if he is) because he has agreed to a contract that will presumably pay him significantly more money. In other words he wants to take up this opportunity. How do you "extend" him in such circumstances?
Don't make me do my Marlon Brando impression, heh.

It’s good business if the alternative is 0 when his contract is up. I have no questions over his commitment to argyle but he and the club know he’s a massive talent that can be a the top of the game but it’s a short career and unfortunately he won’t reach that staying with us
It would need us to make him a really good, budget-stretching counter-offer, certainly with a clause allowing him to leave if we were relegated, and possibly one allowing him to go for £x million if a Premier League or Champions League club came in for him. And you're right - it may be that he's decided now's the time to tap out, and his head can't be turned back. But he described his last contract extension as a "no-brainer" - one or two further years here (on paper, understanding he would go before that contract expired), and a full season at Championship level would still be a steady development of his career.

I'd far rather we broke the bank to keep Coops than Morgan. But yeah, you both make very reasonable points. It may be beyond us and our Little Old Argyle piggybank.

Reactions: MustardEagle

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
Lost count of the number of times I've corrected people who say Athletico Madrid. 😂

My ex's grandparents lived a 5 min walk from the old Calderón and it's always Atléti to the fans 😉

Mind you, my ex was a Rayo fan.
To get back on topic, is there any more on that reported £20-25m offer they may or may not have made? Or just £25. Hard to keep up.