Team v Walsall? | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Team v Walsall?

Sep 25, 2010
Lobster":3ox76z3r said:
Balham_Green":3ox76z3r said:
Lobster":3ox76z3r said:
Balham_Green":3ox76z3r said:
I disagreed with somebody else's selection. Hardly criticising. I haven't seen the new players so can't comment on who should or shouldn't be playing. However a midfield of Ness Fox Grant ( not really a ball winner I understand) looks too lightweight away from home for me. That ok with you?

You can absolutely disagree, but it might be more constructive to provide an alternative. Fair enough if you don't feel you've seen the players enough, but you say you "can't comment on who should or shouldn't be playing", and then do exactly that in your next sentence.

Its not difficult. I haven't said exactly who should or shouldn't be playing(though I have reservations about Lameiras). I just am not comfortable with the 'make up' of the Midfield as a whole. Want me to explain it again?

Yes please

Oh don’t, ask him that, he does know himself.

He is only making these comments, in order to be controversial

May 26, 2015
Good luck Argyle. Here is to automatic promotion!

However, with 23 players in the first team photo, I have no idea who DA wiil pick. I'm sure that Revie/Shankley/Nicholson/Busby/Ramsey would be in difficulty with their reliance on no more than 15/16 first teamers!

As usual we have a surfeit of mid-fielders and defenders and very few strikers. So, obviously, Taylor and Ladapo are musts to start, with Dyson ready if things are not going to plan at half time.

I fully expect promotion this season, with all the signings made and few going out. I shall be grateful if there are no budget complaints - 23 first teamers in League One and some excellent youth potential! DA has been given the support he needs.

Mar 14, 2009
The midfield point l think Balham makes that we don’t have a tough tackling midfielder is a good shout.

The team looks decent on the ball but who is in that team to do the dirty or “donkey” work? Especially away from home. We desperately need a physical presence like a Toums l feel to the midfield else it will be over run in certain games.

My team would be

GK Macey
RWB Riley
CB Wootton
CB Canavan
CB Sawyer
LBW Smith-Brown
CM Ness
CAM C Grant
RAM Lameiras
LAM Carey
ST Taylor

3 3 3 1

Two attacking wing backs. Ness in front of the back 3. Sawyer as a CB, which is his much better position. An attacking 3 midfielders to pass and create and stay central and to utilise the wing backs. Taylor up front to do the hold up play and link up with the 3 CAM’s behind him.

Mar 14, 2009
If you mean my team, then no.

If you play Carey, Lameiras, Ness and Conor Grant l think they are already too similar. So adding Fox l don’t think would make us any more difficult to break down. Basically adding Sawyer to the defence, instead of Fox to the midfield allows threr things to happen,

1. We can play the wing back system which l think would be more suited to the forward thinking full backs Adams has brought in

2. We shouldn’t get so easily counter attacked as there is an extra defender in place to cover the opposition attacks.

3. Sawyer is an excellent CB. He reads the game well. Is decent in the air. CB compliments his good attributes, more than LB.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Argy1e":2cu4bwnb said:
Wouldn't expect anyone playing tonight to be in the team on Saturday. Think Sarcevic is the only player injured so would assume that tells us the 18 travelling.
From that, I'd go;
Macey
Riley Edwards Canavan Sawyer
Ness Fox C.Grant
Lameiras Taylor Carey

Subs: Letheren, Songo'o, Ladapo, Dyson, Wootton, Wylde, Smith-Brown

I reckon this is going to be really close to DA's selection.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Metal_Green_Mickey":32f5afs1 said:

If you play Carey, Lameiras, Ness and Conor Grant l think they are already too similar. So adding Fox l don’t think would make us any more difficult to break down. Basically adding Sawyer to the defence, instead of Fox to the midfield allows threr things to happen,

1. We can play the wing back system which l think would be more suited to the forward thinking full backs Adams has brought in

2. We shouldn’t get so easily counter attacked as there is an extra defender in place to cover the opposition attacks.

3. Sawyer is an excellent CB. He reads the game well. Is decent in the air. CB compliments his good attributes, more than LB.

I think leaving Fox out would be to the detriment of the team more than having him in, even if he might lack pace and tenacity for defensive duties.

Aug 5, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":8cpodab1 said:

Sawyer is not an excellent CB. You say you were at Charlton away, do you not remember how out of his depth Sawyer was when Taylor Sinclair came on and GS was moved inside? Although to be fair you did use it as an example of where Bradley and Vyner had weaknesses, despite the fact that Bradley didn't play that game, so I'm not sure how accurate your memory would be any way.

Playing CB over LB/RB is a whole different kettle of fish.

Jul 9, 2016
I think the usual thing will happen, DA will pick the 11 he thinks are the best after pre season and over the next two months will work his way through the squad until we have the best 11 on the pitch.
The keeper, Carey, lameiras, Edwards, Sawyer, Fox, ness and Taylor will likely all start, the others could be anyone

Mar 14, 2009
Knibbsworth":32192hs4 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":32192hs4 said:

Sawyer is not an excellent CB. You say you were at Charlton away, do you not remember how out of his depth Sawyer was when Taylor Sinclair came on and GS was moved inside? Although to be fair you did use it as an example of where Bradley and Vyner had weaknesses, despite the fact that Bradley didn't play that game, so I'm not sure how accurate your memory would be any way.

In my world he excels at playing CB, rather than when he plays at LB. Ask most what our his strengths and it’s reading the game well. I thought actually he did OK when he switched inside in that game against Charlton as we were crucified all over the pitch because we had no cover in front of the defence. Certainly much better than Threlkeld who was ripped to shreds and non existent.

I guess my memory is as good as your judgement of a player. ;)

Mar 14, 2009
Emu":351em24c said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":351em24c said:

I think leaving Fox out would be to the detriment of the team more than having him in, even if he might lack pace and tenacity for defensive duties.

Our midfield of C Grant, Carey, Lameiras, Ness And Fox all have too many similar attributes. The only one who gives us something different is Sarcevic. He has that physical presence. Just like Toums did.

To me we have these great ball playing midfielders but not enough bite in midfield. I left Fox out because we lack that midfield option in our squad and would rather have an extra defender.

I look at our midfield. At times it will look good with the ball. However, l think we will get bullied as a midfield unit, especially if the referee doesn’t clamp down on opposition roughing up tactics. You might say we have Ness to add some steel but I don’t think it’s enough. We need a bully boy of our own to compliment the likes of Fox, Ness and C Grant.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Knibbsworth":1upx184t said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1upx184t said:

In the second half most of Charlton's attacks came on their right hand side. Seems rather harsh to say Sawyer was out of his depth. Especially as no-one really turned up that day and they all looked out of their depth.

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":1dqs7hw5 said:
Argy1e":1dqs7hw5 said:
Knibbsworth":1dqs7hw5 said:
Well I hadn't...before I'd looked him up.

Typical Pasoti mentality, spend all summer knocking down Freddie Ladapo's goalscoring record, spend all week worrying about a fella who has scored several divisions below where we are, never played at this standard or even the division below.

Why criticise or cast doubt on Ladapo's record if you are going to fear this player as some kind of big deal? By virtue of Ladapo's last club being Crystal Palace of the Premier League with loans at League One level, compared to a player who's been at Tranmere and Barrow, I'm comfortable concluding that Ladapo is a player of better pedigree.
A) That seems quite a common theme that you don't know who others players are, which suggests you don't watch much football aside from Argyle. That's absolutely fine, but judging a player by looking him up on the internet is still ridiculous.
B) Not once have I criticised Ladapo or his scoring record, as far as I'm aware. I don't think I've commented on Ladapo at all in fact.

Am I worried about Andy Cook? I wouldn't say worried, but I know that he possesses a threat and that he will be a handful. That's having seen him play and knowing the level of player he is.

I actually stay tuned to all four professional divisions. That's why I was very surprised to hear that we were lining up against a fearsome goalscorer next week by the name of Andy Cook. I have never heard of him until today. It doesn't make me completely ignorant, it merely means his career has been unspectacular to date. It also means this player is completely untested in the Football League. In the context of League One, with the likes of Bradley Dack, Tom Eaves, Jack Marriott, Lyle Taylor, Ellis Harrison, Josh Magennis etc., I'd be extremely surprised if Andy Cook is going to give our defenders any more issues than the strikers they are used to dealing with at this level. He has a big jump up in standard to negotiate first, and not worthy of fearing any more than the former Premier League and Championship strikers we will be facing with regularity all season.

Kind of inevitable Cook would score. I blame Knibbsworth for the defeat!