Thanksgiving and US market | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Thanksgiving and US market

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Hey OG

The Rowdies were around before then - late 70s/early 80s? - Rodney Marsh went to US to join them didn't he?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Marshy deffo joined the Rowdies.

I remember an advert which had him it where the strapline was 'Soccer is a touch in the grass' :facepalm:

May 16, 2016
Ottawa Green":2zbrauvo said:
Guiri Green you are aging yourself now the Tampa Mutiny played from 1996-2001 and then they folded. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_Bay_Mutiny

A new team emerged in Tampa called the Tampa Bay Rowdies they formed in 2008 and played in the NASL (North American Soccer League) until 2017 when they and my Ottawa Fury moved to the USL (United Soccer League) at the end of the 2017 season the NASL folded. Former England player Joe Cole is the captain of Tampa.

Yes, this was the post world cup '94 time when hosting the games included the deal that started the MLS. Back then they had a shoot out type end to any game that ended in a draw, the game was overhyped and terribly American. There's always the danger for certain host world cup countries for the interest in regular leagues to fizzle out once the euphoria of hosting the competion has worn off.

Despite its critics and their initial interpretation of the rules (hmmm), I think the US does a reasonable job in running their league these days. No idea on its long term plans, but for now, the expansion continues. The League structure might be unique to them (so what), but the rules and enjoyment of the game itself, remains universal. Interesting that they are only now really getting 2 Team Cities in the league, so hopefully that furthers media interest outside of an old country punch up and one of them being disbanded.

Is there enough interest to drum up more than temporary interest in a L1 English club outside of the Mayflower link ? In my opinion, no, but like I said, worth a try.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Do you know Steve, you're right, when I wrote 'touch' to felt wrong. Kick it was.

May 8, 2011
I went to two MLS games in June, the first at New York Red Bulls which I didn’t enjoy at all as although it was in a purpose build ‘soccer’ stadium, it was out of town, a bit of a trek to get there, soulless in a derelict industrial area and the crowd seem more interested in going every 10 minutes to get something to eat. I did see BWP score though. The second game was New York City and although played at the Yankee baseball stadium had a far better atmosphere and felt more like a football match back here.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
HC Green":278jdcjw said:
I went to two MLS games in June, the first at New York Red Bulls which I didn’t enjoy at all as although it was in a purpose build ‘soccer’ stadium, it was out of town, a bit of a trek to get there, soulless in a derelict industrial area and the crowd seem more interested in going every 10 minutes to get something to eat. I did see BWP score though. The second game was New York City and although played at the Yankee baseball stadium had a far better atmosphere and felt more like a football match back here.

' although it was in a purpose build ‘soccer’ stadium, it was out of town, a bit of a trek to get there, soulless in a derelict industrial area ...'

Isn't that what people are saying about tomorrow's game at The Kassam? :think:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
To me, it simply not the natural order of things.

I know some Yanks love our footie and some Limeys like the Super Bowl but it's not in their DNA is it?

However, IF we ramp up the link enough, 2020 etc etc, who knows we could be owned by Kraft Foods. :greensmile:

You never know we could have to change our nickname to the Cheese Slicers, but I'd put up with that if we were buying centre forwards for £3 million. :scarf:

How about The Marmite Grandstand? That would be very apt.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Zactly.

Saying that, Kraft don't own it............yet!

How about the Jell-0 Stadium?

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Guiri Green":wq54rcre said:
Ottawa Green":wq54rcre said:
Guiri Green you are aging yourself now the Tampa Mutiny played from 1996-2001 and then they folded. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tampa_Bay_Mutiny

A new team emerged in Tampa called the Tampa Bay Rowdies they formed in 2008 and played in the NASL (North American Soccer League) until 2017 when they and my Ottawa Fury moved to the USL (United Soccer League) at the end of the 2017 season the NASL folded. Former England player Joe Cole is the captain of Tampa.

Yes, this was the post world cup '94 time when hosting the games included the deal that started the MLS. Back then they had a shoot out type end to any game that ended in a draw, the game was overhyped and terribly American. There's always the danger for certain host world cup countries for the interest in regular leagues to fizzle out once the euphoria of hosting the competion has worn off.

Despite its critics and their initial interpretation of the rules (hmmm), I think the US does a reasonable job in running their league these days. No idea on its long term plans, but for now, the expansion continues. The League structure might be unique to them (so what), but the rules and enjoyment of the game itself, remains universal. Interesting that they are only now really getting 2 Team Cities in the league, so hopefully that furthers media interest outside of an old country punch up and one of them being disbanded.

Is there enough interest to drum up more than temporary interest in a L1 English club outside of the Mayflower link ? In my opinion, no, but like I said, worth a try.

I’m sure there are Americans out there who would wear the Argyle shirt that proudly shows off their herigae in the form of the Mayflower..

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Pettgreen":3mqpmdzr said:
:sick:

Was thinking the Philadelphia Stadium for the cheesiest name....

Home matches sponsored by Kool-Aid.

Defence sponsored by Cracker Barrel. Guarenteed to crumble :whistle:

Kit Kat Cresent is my fav name..

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff