The future of Greens on Screen | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The future of Greens on Screen

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":2phwybph said:
You obviously don't understand how much that would upset Steve.

Money isn't everything Paul.

Money would help to employ the right person to take it on the task. I can't see any qualified volunteers stepping forward.

Hi Steve,

I echo the comments of many others on this thread; GoS is an incredible resource - a site I have used regularly for many years, and I still find new and interesting information every time I visit.

I'm aware this isn't the first time you've posted about the future of the site, and each time I find myself wondering whether I should get in touch with you. Unfortunately I just don't think I have the time to dedicate to taking on a project such as GoS on my own. But I (probably) do have a relevant skillset - 20 years as a database developer, DBA and latterly product owner for a web-based data analytics application.

Would you be able to share some more information about your back-end database technology and architecture? It would also be good to understand more about where the 40 hours per week are mostly spent... Is it content management, front end web/app development, something else? Do you use a CMS, or are you coding it by hand?

GoS strikes me as being almost entirely database-driven - it really is all about the content. If there's anything you think I could help with as you consider the future direction of the site - particularly with regard to optimising / rationalising the data management overheads - please let me know. I probably don't have much to offer from a front end perspective - UI/UX is really not my strong suite. But I'd love to find out more about the architecture and general tech stack to see if there's anything I can offer.

Jon

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Thanks for the interest, Jon, There's a lot I could pass on, but I don't want to clog up Pasoti with the boring stuff. Maybe you could email me? Cheers!

G

Gin

I have contacted Steve to say the AFT board is open to ensuring the future of Greens On Screen and we have found an offer of help from a source other than Jon. It is early days but we will do all we can to keep it going.

Sep 22, 2020
The GOS site is THE argyle website and loved by all who use it an i suspect like me take it for granted.

I cannot see it as realistic that the club would employ someone for 25 hours a week to keep it to the standard of accuracy and knowledge deserves. Even if they said they would staff, managers, directors, chairmen at the club turnover frequently so i suspect the site would soon fall into disrepair as its perceived importance changed over time. Experience shows, at most football clubs, that anything non income generating is simply an unaffordable luxury and first to go when cash is tight.

It is effectively a heritage matter. Would the Argyle Archive not be able to attract grant funding to employ a suitable site manager? Maybe Plymouth Uni would have an interest?

One of the key problems i suspect is not the computer skills needed, which are probably readily available, but the in depth knowledge and interest of Argyle which i suspect is only gained over time.

Perhaps Steve is a one off and effectively his dedication and knowledge is unique and irreplaceable.

The Argyle Archive has been working with Steve regularly for some time and we are really excited to say that we are working with Steve to secure the long term future of Greens on Screen. PAHA will take over the running of GoS when Steve hangs up his keyboard and will continue to run the site with the same care and attention to detail and without commercial gain. Steve is a former trustee of PAHA and we work closely together.

There will be more updates to come, and PAHA will be seeking volunteers and support to make sure that GoS continues for many years to come. If you are interested in helping us please get in touch.

You can read more on this and our other updates in the latest Argyle Archive newsletter PAHA Newsletter

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Excellent news! Very modest IT ability (and I mean very!) but happy to help if I can.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: