The Herald getting worse! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Herald getting worse!

Jan 3, 2013
Presto":mx1ftgw7 said:
The Herald cannot get worst it is already has the worst journalistic garbage available in the South West.

Stopping buying it and do not waste time trying to read it on line as all you get is page reloading and intrusive ads.

Although the grammar and spelling on PASOTI may not be perfect it is a more accurate and true reflection of Argyle events.

For me the sooner the Herald closes down the better.

Agree totally, but cannot get worst? Pot, kettle, black.....

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Steve Evans":1ws1v1ik said:
i wouldn't like these people to be out of work.chris errington is an excellent journalist

Chris Errington's excellent work has stood out even more over the last 18 months or so since the young journos moved in.
Plymouth does need a local paper, a little care and attention to detail would iron out a lot of niggles.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I wish we could afford to employ Chris.

I would imagine our site has more views than theirs. :greensmile:

Feb 8, 2005
Presto":1ljntzm4 said:
The Herald cannot get worst it is already has the worst journalistic garbage available in the South West.

Stopping buying it and do not waste time trying to read it on line as all you get is page reloading and intrusive ads.

Although the grammar and spelling on PASOTI may not be perfect it is a more accurate and true reflection of Argyle events.

For me the sooner the Herald closes down the better.

Nooooooooooooooooo, Noooooooooooooooooo, Nooooooooooooooooo

KCJ

Nov 23, 2011
I see in their report on the crime figures published today, that crime rose in 31 of the 26 individual Plymouth Districts last year !

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
KCJ":37w79oyd said:
I see in their report on the crime figures published today, that crime rose in 31 of the 26 individual Plymouth Districts last year !

Again, I sound like I'm employed by the Herald but it's natural for even experienced journalists to let occasional errors slip through. That's why sub-editors and proof readers were required and employed in the first place!

The problem is that due to the massive shift away from local newspapers to the internet and social media, papers like the Herald simply cannot afford to employ those people anymore. It comes down to a choice of staying afloat with the possibility of errors, or going under with proofing staff you cannot pay.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
Biggs":2bk1w9d3 said:
KCJ":2bk1w9d3 said:

Again, I sound like I'm employed by the Herald but it's natural for even experienced journalists to let occasional errors slip through. That's why sub-editors and proof readers were required and employed in the first place!

The problem is that due to the massive shift away from local newspapers to the internet and social media, papers like the Herald simply cannot afford to employ those people anymore. It comes down to a choice of staying afloat with the possibility of errors, or going under with proofing staff you cannot pay.

I sat close to Chris on Saturday, he produced in real time an excellent report of the match, did Twitter updates (frequently at the same time) took some photographs then did interviews and filed his copy.After refreshment, played with offspring, loaded car and drove home.

Its interesting no one has mentioned any typos from him!

Most of the major local titles in the south west are now owned by Trinity Mirror and have been forced to make further cuts on top of those already made by previous owner, DMGT.

Some titles have already moved from daily to weekly and I suspect more will go that way.

At times, perhaps we need to be a bit thankful and understanding of what we still (just) have.

Jan 27, 2012
The Herald provide pretty good Argyle coverage on balance.

I also think that Chris Errington is a very good football journalist and like listening to him on Radio Devon.

I read PASOTI but also enjoy the Herald too.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
It will be interesting to see if there's a Herald presence in Holland to report on the pre-season training. I don't think anyone travelled out to Holland last season.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
It's all very well banging on about proof-readers etc, it's the general dumbing down and student rag language and level of reporting that grinds my gears. For example, a recent report about the travellers in Plympton referred to them 'rocking up' to said playing fields. Excuse me, rocking up? And how about the piece on the thoughtless parking of some individual on the Barbican at the weekend which linked to a video clip entitled 'How To Park Like a T**t'? Is that really the best the Herald can do?

Oct 24, 2010
The problem is that they are, like most local newspapers, fighting an uphill battle to maintain some level of profitability. The website is annoying but it is there and it is free.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
PL2 3DQ":2usd2y7m said:
It will be interesting to see if there's a Herald presence in Holland to report on the pre-season training. I don't think anyone travelled out to Holland last season.
I thought that Argyle's media reporter, Rob McNicholl, did very well on that tour.