The Kaiser speaks | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Kaiser speaks

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
Ave_IT":3lzz0uri said:
Gareth Nicholson":3lzz0uri said:
If England's problems were down to the Premier League it would be easy to fix. They're not.

Some might say it's because of an insular 'we know better' attitude that celebrated firstly work ethic and now individual skill or 'passion' over perfection of technique. There's a case to be made that we stopped learning in the 1950s, allowing virtually every Western European nation and many others to overtake us in churning out footballers whose first thought when receiving the ball wasn't 'how the hell am I going to control this' but rather 'where is it going next'.

I think there is something deep in our football culture that’s a problem. How come the Dutch with fraction of our population churn out technically superior players generation after generation? We do produce top players but with the odd rare exceptions (Rooney and Joe Cole in this generation) they are not capable of the technical levels that even apparently bulk standard players achieve from other countries. The likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Milner, Barry, Lennon, SWP etc. are all truly outstanding in their own way but not at instantly controlling the ball and playing it quickly and accurately to retain possession in a way that comes so naturally to many foreign players. They all require a higher tempo ‘pressing’ game to shine and that doesn’t often happen at international level against top flight opposition who simply refuse to give you the ball.

Trevor Brooking always goes on about the coaching standards of kids and school football and I can’t help thinking the problem is there. My own lad (nearly 7) loves football and went to his first ‘tournament’ recently for under-7s. He (and I) both loved it but it was very competitive, and the emphasis was on “keep your position”, “be strong”, “pass it quickly”, “TACKLE HIM!!” etc. etc. All fast and furious and I admit I was as bad as anyone (worse probably) getting excited and shouting those sort of things from the sidelines. Like I say the kids and parents had a thoroughly enjoyable day (about 6 hours) and in terms of getting the kids doing something active and enjoying sport it was a success. In terms of developing football skills and technique it was a complete disaster – they learned to be quick and strong and move the ball quickly forward. I don’t know the answer and don’t know what they do in Holland & Spain but is it any wonder we produce thrusting midfielders in the Gerrard mould rather than the likes of Xavi and Iniesta who won’t even let him get the ball?

I think you're right. Our coaching for kids is generally of a poor standard. The lack of attention to technique and skills is particuarly to blame.

Mar 11, 2010
The Kaiser can lick my sack.

As someone previously said, by all means criticise us after the tournament has finished and been knocked out in the first round, however i would love nothing more than to spank the Germans in round 2.

Apr 15, 2008
London
Sensible Sam":2ag1xr96 said:
The Kaiser can lick my sack.

As someone previously said, by all means criticise us after the tournament has finished and been knocked out in the first round, however i would love nothing more than to spank the Germans in round 2.

Me too. I hope we come second in our group and get to play them...

P

pilgrim errant

The man has got outrageous cheek making such comments about 'kick and rush' football but I'm pleased that someone is saying the truth about our far from glittering stars. I have seen some really entertaining football from other teams in the competition and am aware that our players just could not possibly emulate the skills and fitness levels apparent in other sides.

I can't think of one England player I admire either for his skill or attitude and I desperately wish to. Thrilled, however, with the NZ result today - 'Rory for England' Just kidding!

Apr 15, 2008
London
Let's get some perspective here: it's not that easy to win the World Cup. only 7 teams have ever won it and it's only held every 4 years.... We've pretty much always been in the top 10 teams in the world - no mean feat at all. Let's not kid ourselves that we have a right to win everything because it's out national sport/obsession.

Sure, I always fantasise about England winning the World Cup at the start at every tournament, just as I fantasise about Argyle winning the FA Cup when we beat Barnet in the second round. Can we just enjoy the tournament and support our country without the self-loathing/flagellation that comes with it?