The Play Off race (and bets placed) | Page 42 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Play Off race (and bets placed)

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Lundan Cabbie":3czemigs said:
Balham_Green":3czemigs said:
Where is the definition that a Derby is about distance?

List of sports rivalries. ... Games between two rivals of close geographical proximity are usually called a local derby, or simply just derby (UK: /ˈdɑːrbi/; DAR-bee or US: /ˈdɜːrbi/; DER-bee); a sporting fixture between two teams from the same town, city or region, particularly in association football.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=What+ ... 66&bih=643

South West England is one of nine official regions of England. It is the largest in area, covering 9,200 square miles (23,800 km2),[1] and consists of the counties of Gloucestershire, Bristol, Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall, as well as the Isles of Scilly. Five million people live in South West England.

Courtesy of Wikipedia

Devon and Bristol are in the same Region thus meeting Lundan's quoted requirement for a Derby. It is therefore a Derby :)

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Old Gunner":3pfsdh35 said:
Lundan Cabbie":3pfsdh35 said:
Balham_Green":3pfsdh35 said:

List of sports rivalries. ... Games between two rivals of close geographical proximity are usually called a local derby, or simply just derby (UK: /ˈdɑːrbi/; DAR-bee or US: /ˈdɜːrbi/; DER-bee); a sporting fixture between two teams from the same town, city or region, particularly in association football.

South West England is one of nine official regions of England. It is the largest in area, covering 9,200 square miles (23,800 km2),[1] and consists of the counties of Gloucestershire, Bristol, Wiltshire, Somerset, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall, as well as the Isles of Scilly. Five million people live in South West England.

Courtesy of Wikipedia

Devon and Bristol are in the same Region thus meeting Lundan's quoted requirement for a Derby. It is therefore a Derby :)

:doh: And there was me struggling to accept that Arsenal v Palace is a proper derby

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Lundan Cabbie":23n8ctot said:
Old Gunner":23n8ctot said:
Lundan Cabbie":23n8ctot said:
Balham_Green":23n8ctot said:

Courtesy of Wikipedia

:doh: And there was me struggling to accept that Arsenal v Palace is a proper derby

South of the River is a different planet :)

Sep 6, 2006
Old Gunner":zmc0o51h said:
Lundan Cabbie":zmc0o51h said:
Balham_Green":zmc0o51h said:

Courtesy of Wikipedia

Well Bristol isn't a county but good enough for me.

This is 100% a derby. Anyone who doesn't understand why is probably from London and their belief that anything outside the capital is small and insignificant.

Portsmouth, on the other hand, is not a derby. That's simply a historical grudge match.

Oct 21, 2015
Agree with GA1984 and Bermudian Green....The Rovers game is a WESTCOUNTRY Derby. Unless i have got this seriously wrong over the last 50 plus years supporting Argyle games against Exeter, Torquay, Bristol Rovers and Bristol City have traditionally been regarded as derby games in press coverage and general discussion. NOT games against Swindon, Cheltenham, Portsmouth, Yeovil or Carlisle for that matter ! Stand to be corrected but will take a lot of persuasion....

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
See derby games as above.

The difference with Argyle is that there are no derbies heading west and precious few other clubs within 150 miles of us!! That is why we cannot be compared with London/Northern clubs where you leave their ground go a couple of miles in any direction and you've got 4 'local' derbies on your hands!!

Sep 6, 2006
raffertymariner":2k3zyepp said:
Agree with GA1984 and Bermudian Green....The Rovers game is a WESTCOUNTRY Derby. Unless i have got this seriously wrong over the last 50 plus years supporting Argyle games against Exeter, Torquay, Bristol Rovers and Bristol City have traditionally been regarded as derby games in press coverage and general discussion. NOT games against Swindon, Cheltenham, Portsmouth, Yeovil or Carlisle for that matter ! Stand to be corrected but will take a lot of persuasion....

Why is Yeovil not a derby and Rovers is?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Balham_Green":mq2lni5t said:
raffertymariner":mq2lni5t said:

Why is Yeovil not a derby and Rovers is?

Guess because Yeovil was never a league club until comparatively recently.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Website Experimental 361 have crunched the numbers again and predict we will finish in 9th place with a 21% chance of finishing 6th.

Link

Do you not feel that the term ‘derby’ in football has, like many English words, changed its meaning in recent times. It used to mean footballing neighbours, but now means football rivals.
I have Man U supporting mates who refer to the Liverpool derby as their must-win game of the season, yet they’re hardly neighbours. I also note that Palace-Brighton is now referred to as a derby because of their long standing rivalry from thirty years back, yet they’re also not neighbours.