The short corner groan. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The short corner groan.

Aug 5, 2016
metroace":1htbbdze said:
“ So, how difficult is it to score by a corner kick? These results suggest that it is quite difficult although this depends, in part, on how a goal from a corner kick is defined. The range is anywhere from 1 goal for every 36 to 70 corners attempted. Or, slightly less than 2% of corner kicks result in a goal.”

Source: http://www.scienceofsocceronline.com/2010/12/corner-kicks-by-numbers.htm

Harry Kane scored twice from corners and so did Harry Maguire at the 2018 World Cup, against international opposition that had got through the qualifying stages.

I doubt England had over 100 corners in that tournament, not even half that!

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
Knibbsworth":23irszkl said:
metroace":23irszkl said:
“ So, how difficult is it to score by a corner kick? These results suggest that it is quite difficult although this depends, in part, on how a goal from a corner kick is defined. The range is anywhere from 1 goal for every 36 to 70 corners attempted. Or, slightly less than 2% of corner kicks result in a goal.”

Source: http://www.scienceofsocceronline.com/2010/12/corner-kicks-by-numbers.htm

Harry Kane scored twice from corners and so did Harry Maguire at the 2018 World Cup, against international opposition that had got through the qualifying stages.

When we sign Harry Kane and Harry Maguire, then perhaps the ball into the box will be worthwhile. Until then, we should be mixing it up.

May 7, 2019
If you're looking to alter the angle of attack then I don't mind the short corner. I remember that Sturrock always had a policy of asking for crosses and free kicks to be curled towards the far post of the goal, just inside the post. It meant that a defender or the goalkeeper had to deal with the cross... otherwise it was a goal. This resulted in opposing teams being put under additional pressure every time the ball went into the box, so long as the crossing was accurate of course! This always struck me as a sensible strategy.

Jan 27, 2012
mervyn":1tdoq1gs said:
Soccernomics makes the point that goals from corners are so rare compared with goals from outfield play in the final quarter, that short corners are the only rational thing to do. They also make the point, which I agree with, that goals from corners are so memorable that they stick in the mind longer than outfield goals, and so seem more numerous. I can remember Mourinho saying during his first year over here that he couldn’t understand the British obsession over corners, which you don’t find elsewhere in Europe.

Argyle won this league with a RECORD points total under Sturrock (who achieved a similar feat in the Scottish league) and corners were a very important part of that success. The stattos don’t know everything.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
metroace":ngmaaqf1 said:
Knibbsworth":ngmaaqf1 said:
metroace":ngmaaqf1 said:

When we sign Harry Kane and Harry Maguire, then perhaps the ball into the box will be worthwhile. Until then, we should be mixing it up.

I only groan if we do it every time!! :doh:
9 out of 10 is fine but a long corner esp. if taken quickly can then catch out opponents expecting a short corner. Same with the goalie playing it out to defenders. The occasional launched ball, especially if the opposition has pushed forward and/or is slow getting back (expecting the ball to be rolled out) can also catch the opposition out. Imagine Taylor nodding on a long goal kick for Hardie to run on to .. who is catching him?? :think:

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Perhaps when Cooper is capable of crossing accurately enough on a regular basis.....

Jul 14, 2008
Mark Pedlar":2bqzbjf2 said:
Perhaps when Cooper is capable of crossing accurately enough on a regular basis.....
If any of our players could do anything on a regular basis, they wouldn’t be in league 2.

Aug 5, 2016
metroace":3ve0du7c said:
Knibbsworth":3ve0du7c said:
metroace":3ve0du7c said:

Do you really think only international players are capable of heading in a corner?

I can only think of 4 short corner goals we have scored this season. Sonny Bradley would have scored 4 headers by Christmas, nevermind Songo'o and Bulvitis. I can appreciate that our CBs aren't the most aerially dominant bunch you'll ever see, and the change in crossing angle helps, but the conversion rate this season is hardly a never ending well of goals from where there was none. If anything we score less from corners than we did before.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Personally I'd prefer a long corner, heading just below the crossbar to make it a complete lottery. But I do understand a short corner creating better opportunities.

BUT, I cannot forgive the CRIMINAL action of passing back to the corner taker when they're offside, that's happened way too many times this season!

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Mark Pedlar":31w5shsm said:

Ah, someone else who has noticed Cooper's profligacy from corners and free kicks. No idea why Mayor doesn’t assert himself and take more. Surely Ryan Lowe and coaching staff have noticed this.

Feb 21, 2011
gaspargomez":2hn7nm0n said:
mervyn":2hn7nm0n said:
Soccernomics makes the point that goals from corners are so rare compared with goals from outfield play in the final quarter, that short corners are the only rational thing to do. They also make the point, which I agree with, that goals from corners are so memorable that they stick in the mind longer than outfield goals, and so seem more numerous. I can remember Mourinho saying during his first year over here that he couldn’t understand the British obsession over corners, which you don’t find elsewhere in Europe.

Argyle won this league with a RECORD points total under Sturrock (who achieved a similar feat in the Scottish league) and corners were a very important part of that success. The stattos don’t know everything.

With Coughlin, Evans and Wotton we had players dominant in the air, Friio, Keith and Stonebridge were also not shy picking up the pieces of swung in corners. we don't have anything close to that kind of dominance in the air these days, in either box.