This is Argyle, accept it and enjoy it | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

This is Argyle, accept it and enjoy it

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
Being geographically remote didn’t stop Carlisle reaching the first division in 1974, albeit for a season and the Exeter rugby team have swepped all aside despite being only a few miles east. I believe Argyle can reach the premier league - in 2007 we were in a championship play off position briefly I think and if Holloway hadn’t left, who knows? Somehow though in recent years mediocrity has become the norm at Home Park and I’m not sure why as we hadn’t played basement football before 1995....

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Sparkypete":3bj0hqvh said:
In response to the Super League I suggested there was no better time for fans to follow their local team. Then we turn in a performance like that. I give up, well I have this season.

Yep exactly what I was thinking :lol:

Apparently 'typical Argyle' is a thing of the past, but for me to go into an Argyle game feeling in an incredibly good mood and positive about football as a whole... to end it feeling absolutely disillusioned and deflated. Now that is typical Argyle :lol: :facepalm:

Swaz

♣️ PASALB Member
Jan 25, 2011
bishops stortford
Been Sleeping Giants since the early Sixties. Still snoring. Best Argyle attacking entertaining side I've seen coming close to the top flight was under the Holloway era.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Bezza":1gimwztw said:
Being geographically remote didn’t stop Carlisle reaching the first division in 1974, albeit for a season and the Exeter rugby team have swepped all aside despite being only a few miles east. I believe Argyle can reach the premier league - in 2007 we were in a championship play off position briefly I think and if Holloway hadn’t left, who knows? Somehow though in recent years mediocrity has become the norm at Home Park and I’m not sure why as we hadn’t played basement football before 1995....
Agreed. That Holloway side had such spirit and such quality throughout the squad. I'll likely regard as a massive missed opportunity for some years to come, and I think we're still paying for it in many ways. Bloody Holloway! :think:

Mar 23, 2008
It's the hope that kills you! So many false dawns, I still think that under Hallett and Lowe we can and hopefully will push on.

For that to happen though, Lowe will need to evolve his management style and he's young and ambitious enough that will hopefully be the case.

Swaz

♣️ PASALB Member
Jan 25, 2011
bishops stortford
And a memorable quote from Dave Smith on leaving Argyle after a successful spell in The Championship saying, "I've taken Plymouth Argyle as far as I can'.

Mar 14, 2009
I watched that game last night.

It’s worrying, when a fan like myself, loses the anger of a performance like that and actually laughs at the ridiculous nature of what he is witnessing.

It’s happened so much it’s gone beyond any point of anger. It’s an acceptance.

Yet one thing l refuse to do is enjoy it. We are a professional football team. People are in a privileged position to play a game we all love, and get paid for it. And to produce the constant rubbish we have seen for the last few months isn’t acceptable.

That’s not Argyle l’m watching. It’s a bunch of players who maybe don’t have the backbone and desire needed at our football club. What on earth is their to enjoy? I might as well gone to Burnley when we got relegated that day and said well we are down but that was an enjoyable game.

If we as a fan have that attitude then how on earth can we criticise the current attitude of players for what they are producing on the field.

I don’t know anyone who can enjoy what we witnessed last night unless your a sadist.

I don’t expect promotions each season. I don’t expect even good football every week. What l do expect as an Argyle fan is more than we witnessed in the last few months. I expect a player to get stuck in. A little bit of fire in their bellies. I expect a manager with a game plan. That even in defeat you can see what we are trying to do.

At the moment on the field we are completely rudderless.

Sep 22, 2020
"The 'order' of clubs rarely changes". This is such garbage. Look at some of the Premier League clubs that we used to regularly play in the lower leagues - Brighton, Sheffield United, Burnley. Then look at the Championship - again, it's full of clubs of a similar historical stature to Argyle - Bournemouth, Wycombe, Birmingham, Rotherham, Brentford, Millwall, Luton.

Such garbage? - how dilluded you are.

i was going to let you know the long history of sheff u and burnley, how birmingham, brentford, millwall, luton have been in cup finals, the first division etc etc but not worth the effort my friend.

you keep believing Argyle are the sleeping giant and were unlucky not to be asked to join the ESL.

heard it for 50 years and something tells me we missed that boat many years ago. Not impossible now but highly highly unlikely.

Yes Argyle are crap, always have been always will be, but they are my team. .

Apr 9, 2011
Looking at the shot of the "management" sitting on the bench it was a picture of total resignation if that is their attitude was must the mood in the dressing room be :facepalm: . By the way there was barely enough room on the bench for them , all useless what are they doing all week except ripping Hallett off

Apr 9, 2011
phil-thefluter24":j00yoj37 said:
Looking at the shot of the "management" sitting on the bench it was a picture of total resignation if that is their attitude was must the mood in the dressing room be :facepalm: . By the way there was barely enough room on the bench for them , all useless what are they doing all week except ripping Hallett off
No one who calls themselves an Argyle fan can be happy with the current situation

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
pastiesforlife":ioi0cbmm said:
Still feel fairly numb after watching that.

The biggest home defeat in my lifetime (equalling vReading 1956 before my time).

On the positive side, I was at Hartlepool for the 8-1 away win in 1994.
I was also at the 7-0 home win v Chesterfield in 2004, also the biggest in my lifetime (8-1 home to Millwall 1932 before my time).

Thankfully I wasn’t at the biggest away defeat in my lifetime of 7-0 at Brentford in 1994, slightly lessening the hurt of witnessing the 5-0 cup thrashing at Twerton.

Anyone on here at the record 9-0 defeat at Stoke in December 1960?
I was 12 at the time and not there. But I speak quite regularly to someone who was - the goalkeeper Geoff Barnsley. 4 days earlier Argyle had played heroically at First Duvision Aston Villa, drawing 3-3 (after leading 2-0). In a LC4 tie. Barnsley was kicked full in the face st Villa and still had terrible black eyes.when I saw him on the Monday after the Stoke game. But that Monday night Argyle put on another brave performance, holding Villa 0-0, a game famously abandoned after 90 minutes. Aegyle captain John Newman told me that he and the lads were exhausted after the 3-3 at Villa. Barnsley was off for 20 minutes and winger Bill Wright went off too..Argyle had to play on with 9 men. So at least there was some mitigation for the 9-0.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
mercedes":2c635djf said:
Here's a question - have Argyle EVER been beaten by six goals or more in a league match at home before. Not in my lifetime (I'm 72). I seem to remember us conceding 5 at home to Huddersfield (Dennis Law) around 1961 or so. After 63 years of following Argyle, I am appalled at last night's showing. SPINELESS!
You just missed it Mike - August 1956 Argyle lost 6-0 at home to Reading in a 3(S) fixture. George Robertson, Reg Wyatt, Peter Anderson and Neil Dougall all played. 2 seasons later they were part of side that won the 3rd Division!

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Swaz":ba7q5w5f said:
Been Sleeping Giants since the early Sixties. Still snoring. Best Argyle attacking entertaining side I've seen coming close to the top flight was under the Holloway era.

This team isn`t sleeping it`s comatose.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
A lot of unfair criticism of last night's 'show' imho.

It's not easy playing football at that level wearing mask, snorkel and flippers or flipflops.
Speedos give little protection especially with a windbreak under one arm and a beach towel under the other.
Plus a candy floss in one hand and an icecream in the other.
Punch & Judy at half time. Where's the ball, boys & girls?
'BEHIND YOU!'
The ball gets a lot of suntan lotion on it too!!

Unless you've played at that level you just can't understand how difficult it is!! :whistle: