Thoughts on Ian Foster | Page 207 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Thoughts on Ian Foster

GU7Green

✅ Evergreen
May 10, 2022
Godalming, Surrey
May have got lost in the dedicated thread, but some fairly startling stats from One Team in Devon newsletter to indicate how differently we're now playing, especially offensively (though an improvement defensively, in fairness). And I do not like the sound of 'launches' :rolleyes:

read this earlier, my word the level of detail is phenomenally impressive.

more impressive than the stats its covering actually.....which really dont make for particularly pleasant reading.

Reactions: philevs and Biggs
Jul 28, 2020
May have got lost in the dedicated thread, but some fairly startling stats from One Team in Devon newsletter to indicate how differently we're now playing, especially offensively (though an improvement defensively, in fairness). And I do not like the sound of 'launches' :rolleyes:

Ian foster's record at the 12 game mark is slightly worse than fellow england under 20 coach joe Edwards, who was recently dismissed by millwall ( after 16 games at the helm)

Foster's average goals per game is.....0.89 over 12 games ( compared to Edwards 1.12 goals per game at a similar juncture)

The two coaches, who both come from the england youth set up, also share very poor average shots per game, which according to the BBC site tended to average no more than 3 or 4 per match....

Feb 14, 2022
Like others, I've had time to calm down, take a step back and assess what's to come. I'm hopeful that we can survive. I look at other teams and their fixtures. We have two maybe 3 winnable ones. Others, do not. I think two wins and 2 draws will see us over the line. The frustration, which I'm over, is that it should have been done earlier.

The Preston, Norwich, Bristol City, Rotherham run gave an opportunity to get a little distance between us and the dreaded line, even by writing off the Norwich game. 2 home games against mid-table oppo with pretty much nothing to play for and bottom of the league away should see points secured, it hasn't started well and the stats podcast has scared the life out of me to be honest.

Personally I think it will be 9 more points needed - my crystal ball (Mystic Meg £9.99 special offer) is showing 2 scenarios.... either we win at Stoke to get to mathematical safety OR we go to the last game needing something against Hull.

Norwich - 0
Bristol City - 3
Rotherham - 1
QPR - 3
Leicester - 0
Stoke - 3
Millwall - 0
Hull - 0

OR

Norwich - 0
Bristol City - 0/1
Rotherham - 0/1
QPR - 0/1/3
Leicester - 0
Stoke - 0
Millwall - 0
Hull - ??

Sep 6, 2006
Ian foster's record at the 12 game mark is slightly worse than fellow england under 20 coach joe Edwards, who was recently dismissed by millwall ( after 16 games at the helm)

Foster's average goals per game is.....0.89 over 12 games ( compared to Edwards 1.12 goals per game at a similar juncture)

The two coaches, who both come from the england youth set up, also share very poor average shots per game, which according to the BBC site tended to average no more than 3 or 4 per match....
So just for the record IF averages a point a game, Edwards had less than that. Don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

Feb 11, 2024
Anyone else depressed that the club seem to be using the "excuse" of sticking by their man/ being loyal for not doing the right thing for the club and replacing a manager who clearly isnt fit for purpose? I feel if Simon Hallett had more money at his disposal then IF would be gone. The England game on friday and the similarities with Argyle reafirmed my belief that the FA model results in a poor, negative, risk averse style of football. Unless Simon Hallett has a catarax problem he must see this, i suspect he knows weve got it wrong but cant afford to take the correct course of action.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Our Custodian maybe waiting until the end of the season to see which League we are in next season before conducting his end of season review
He will have the close season to decide what personnel he requires to take the team forward- whether that be a change in the management we will have to wait & see.
8 games to get behind the team & hope we stay above the dotted line

Sep 6, 2006
Anyone else depressed that the club seem to be using the "excuse" of sticking by their man/ being loyal for not doing the right thing for the club and replacing a manager who clearly isnt fit for purpose? I feel if Simon Hallett had more money at his disposal then IF would be gone. The England game on friday and the similarities with Argyle reafirmed my belief that the FA model results in a poor, negative, risk averse style of football. Unless Simon Hallett has a catarax problem he must see this, i suspect he knows weve got it wrong but cant afford to take the correct course of action.
Getting rid of a manager 'not fit for purpose ' with a better away record than his predecessor you mean?

Reactions: Justin
Apr 16, 2016
Anyone see Austria's goal after 6 seconds in Croatia and Germany's goal v France after 7 seconds ? They are both worth a look, because, in both cases, players streamed FORWARD from the kick off and went on the offensive. It was almost as if Germany DIDN'T say - "It's France away, lets stay in the game for 70 minutes and take it from there" , but rather let's take it to them right from the start. Austria had 5 players on the edge of the Croatian box in seconds !
What school of coaching could teach such things ?
It all looked so startlingly different to what I've been watching recently, but it brought good results in tough fixtures.

Oct 28, 2011
Norwich
Our Custodian maybe waiting until the end of the season to see which League we are in next season before conducting his end of season review
He will have the close season to decide what personnel he requires to take the team forward- whether that be a change in the management we will have to wait & see.
8 games to get behind the team & hope we stay above the dotted line
So we’re supposed to just sleepwalk into relegation without a change of manager? Surely you can see what’s unfolding here. To not act and just see how it plays out is incredibly reckless. 6.5M for championship football next year. Whilst it’s 900k for league one. Just burying our heads into the sand hoping for an upturn in fortune is just naive. Hopefully the board wake up soon and act.