To be a Pilgrim | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

To be a Pilgrim

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
TinTin":3d8lxjs6 said:
I believe in the dear ol' days of Sutton High, "To Be A Pilgrim" was a regular ?

Keep the Faith :scarf:

As it was at Devonport High for Girls!
I don't recall hearing it at the ground in the 50's, 60's or 70's, but in the 60's Plymouth held a Sportsmans' Church service each year, and it was certainly sung then as being linked to Argyle.
Some older folks on here may remember my dear friend Betty Batchelor, who was Personnel Manager at Farleys for years and also a member of the City Council. She and I drove to many away games together, including Carlisle(just because it was the longest journey in the football League). She and I always joked we would have "To be a Pilgrim" at our funerals, and she did just that! Lump in throat time!

Bovey-Green lady":1kdnbpq5 said:
TinTin":1kdnbpq5 said:
I believe in the dear ol' days of Sutton High, "To Be A Pilgrim" was a regular ?

Keep the Faith :scarf:

As it was at Devonport High for Girls!
I don't recall hearing it at the ground in the 50's, 60's or 70's, but in the 60's Plymouth held a Sportsmans' Church service each year, and it was certainly sung then as being linked to Argyle.
Some older folks on here may remember my dear friend Betty Batchelor, who was Personnel Manager at Farleys for years and also a member of the City Council. She and I drove to many away games together, including Carlisle(just because it was the longest journey in the football League). She and I always joked we would have "To be a Pilgrim" at our funerals, and she did just that! Lump in throat time!

Great story. This is why I love pasoti.

Jul 27, 2020
Mid to late fifties marked my argyle time and cant remember the pilgrim song being sung but I always thought na na na na hello goodbye would be a good chant

so here goes

na na na na na na na na hey hey hey plymouth argyle etc etc

off topic anyone remember the league cup fixture against Aston Villa first year of the competition 1960 or 1961

it took 3matches for Villa to win the fixture first fixture at a very rainy HP pudding of a pitch and from memory the game had to be abandoned near the end the rearranged game was a draw and Villa won the final fixture and then Villa went on to become the first winners of that competition Gerry Hitchens and co were a good side

keeping more memories for another time

Jul 25, 2006
Leighton Buzzard
"Mid to late fifties marked my argyle time and cant remember the pilgrim song being sung but I always thought na na na na hello goodbye would be a good chant

so here goes

na na na na na na na na hey hey hey plymouth argyle etc etc"

I remember this song being sung in the Devonport in the late 60s/ early 70s - original by a group called Steam. Great fun!!!