Trevor Francis? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Trevor Francis?

Mar 21, 2006
Keepitgreen":34n0pkj7 said:
Both his mum and dad were born in Plymouth.

Yep - Trev lived in Fountains Crescent Pennycross and I lived in Springhill. Al Rogers lived in Manadon. We all used to play football at Pennycross Primary playground in the evenings - Rog Fice and Bobby and Jimmy Brown as well and Jaz Pook - happy days.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Trevor Francis was on Ellis Stuttard's radar from the age of 11. I remember being told that Roy Francis was unimpressed with Argyle's development of and opportunities for young players and was determined his son would never sign on at HP. Indeed, I seem to recall that Roy Francis was once rejected after a trial at Argyle and that bothered him too. Distant memories both but I do know that Argyle tried very hard to sign Trevor.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
memory man":1mx9eggo said:
Trevor Francis was on Ellis Stuttard's radar from the age of 11. I remember being told that Roy Francis was unimpressed with Argyle's development of and opportunities for young players and was determined his son would never sign on at HP. Indeed, I seem to recall that Roy Francis was once rejected after a trial at Argyle and that bothered him too. Distant memories both but I do know that Argyle tried very hard to sign Trevor.
Very similar scenario with Joey and John Scott. Their dad wouldn't have them near Argyle because of Billy Bingham.

Mar 21, 2006
memory man":22pwrqew said:

My dad (Reg Mitchell) was coach at Argyle when Derek Ufton was Manager and I do remember going with my dad to Trev’s house to get him to sign for Argyle. Roy was clear that Trev was not going to Argyle.

Barrie Davis

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
pastiesforlife":1vwqhgr9 said:
Trevor definitely only played for Plymouth schoolboys.

I remember the excitement of an evening kick off in about 1971. Went with a load of primary school friends, aged about 10. First game for many. I’d been going to HP for about four years.Plymouth Schoolboys v Liverpool Schoolboys in the cup. I’ve always wondered if Francis had played. If I remember correctly, we lost 5-0.

Don't think that this would have been 1971, he signed for Birmingham City in 1970.

Barrie Davis

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
Sherborne_Green":3p30i8dv said:
Agree with you IJN. They lived very close to Home Park.

Although a couple years younger than me Alan Rogers and Trevor Francis were both in our school teams at Public Secondary in Plymouth.

I was at Public - left in 1966 from class 5C. Would I have known you?

Jan 29, 2010
Roy Francis disliked Argyle with a passion. I can remember talking very briefly to him at the Civil Service club one evening about Argyle, he said " I dont know why anyone bothers with that rubbish ".

Oct 31, 2015
Pete H":1s51km75 said:
Roy Francis disliked Argyle with a passion. I can remember talking very briefly to him at the Civil Service club one evening about Argyle, he said " I dont know why anyone bothers with that rubbish ".

Nice of him to say so!!!!!!

If someone from Plymouth said that to me now I would think "tool!".

Still history now

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Bryan_Tregunna":3ozg4gqu said:
Larry David":3ozg4gqu said:
I went to the game against Liverpool Schoolboys, I was a schoolboy myself, and many years later I played against Joey Scott who was playing for Bere Alston in the late 80s. As previously mentioned it was an evening kick off and I went on my own, I can recall leaving the ground and making my way to Milehouse to get a bus to Camels Head buying chips from the chippy and walking up Ferndale Road to my Nans prefab. I was 11. Different times.
I can hear Hovis music!

Cheeky git :D

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Trevor Francis lived in Melrose Avenue, Pennycross near to its junction with Fountains Crescent. His father Roy was more than a useful centre half who in the early fifties was on Argyle's books without ever making the first team. He was eventually released by Arygle but continued to perform in local football. He was obviously disappointed to have been released by Argyle and when Trevor started attracting league clubs Roy was instrumental in deciding which club Trevor was going to sign for. Argyle tried very hard to get him to sign but Roy's experience at Argyle resulted in him going elsewhere. Freddie Goodwin the Manager of Birmingham at the time was the most persuasive and the rest as they say is history.
Roy was a regular spectator at Home Park in the 80's when I believe he had a season ticket in Grandstand. He continued to live in Melrose Avenue.

Oct 5, 2013
Dreamgreen":l9l54zwn said:
He played for Plymouth Schoolboys U-15 at Home Park. The team included Alan Rogers and a couple of others who flirted with professional football, Joey Scott at Bournemouth and Kevin Griffin at Bristol City.

Trevor was scouted by Birmingham when Plymouth Schoolboys got to around the 5th round of the schoolboys cup (whatever that was called). He never played for Argyle.

I played against him at Home Park for East Cornwall Schools Under-15’s when he played for Plymouth Schools Under-15’s in that competition! I believe it was 1966, he was like a man playing against boys and we lost 4-1, I think.