Watford FA Cup Semi Final 1984 | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Watford FA Cup Semi Final 1984

Aug 16, 2005
Somerset
pogleswoody":2hk2uhe9 said:
BALDY-OG":2hk2uhe9 said:
pogleswoody":2hk2uhe9 said:
Mark_Smith":2hk2uhe9 said:
Eastlake Street wasn't it? I reckon if you stand at the back of that video games shop and then teleport up one level into the car park you would start to feel the vibes. Maybe.

good pub there - the unity - very trendy in the day ... man!! :)

before it was the Rooftop i believe it was the Park Ballroom (yes Ballroom!! that tells you how long ago it was!!) :shock:

All correct Pogleswoody. The Unity was where I had my first underage pint (of mild). Popular with Sutton boys but don't recall it being trendy in 75/76.

no i'm late 60s, my lady was at Plymouth Poly and i was doing A-levels, used to meet her in there with her Uni mates either there or Cuba which still goes on i believe?

Sutton? 1975? i was DHS 1969 so we aren't natural soulmates!! :wink:

Sworn enemies in fact :wink: And yes, Cuba still going strong according to my daughter at Plymouth Uni.

A

Amsterdam_Jim

Tyhee_Slim":1vy4484j said:
cheshiregreen":1vy4484j said:
Rupert":1vy4484j said:
Woods was where the Pistols played their 'secret' gig, right? Didn't go to that, but I saw Elvis Costello and the Attractions and The Police (as a support band) there. It's under the new shopping centre now, if I can recall its location properly.

Yes it would be under the Drake Circus Mall I reckon.

Was near Burtons shop in the street that led to the old Charles Cross car park - was that part of Old Town Street back then?

I think it was called Eastlake Walk.

Didn't go to the 'secret' gig, but I did go to both nights of the Anarchy tour at Woods in December '76 - The Pistols, The Clash and Johnny Thunders' Heartbreakers all for (I think) a quid.

The 'secret' one was in early summer in '77. It was all over by then really in a 'Hippy wigs in Woolworths' kind of way. Some pleb who'd got all 'punked up' especially for the occasion in a fancy dress stylee collared me on his way to the gig assuming that, as I was know for being pretty into punk, I was on my way to the gig as well. I told him I wasn't, and when he asked why I said "because you are". Felt like a pretty good smartarse answer at the time.

Now I'm doubly jealous :(

Missed the Watford match due to an emergency road digging job with SWEB (listened to it on a battered radio beside the trench, not quite the same) also only heard about the Pistols gig the day after....a major disappointment for Holsworthy's then 'only' punk :) Did attempt to see the Adverts at Woods some time after, but got frightened off by bottle throwing bikers hanging out the window even though I was accompanied by an Okehampton school teacher, TV Smiths brother no less.
'
After moving down to Plymouth, spent many a night in the 'Speakeasy' as it was then called...great place at the time.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
BALDY-OG":29ulp94p said:
pogleswoody":29ulp94p said:
BALDY-OG":29ulp94p said:
pogleswoody":29ulp94p said:
Mark_Smith":29ulp94p said:
Eastlake Street wasn't it? I reckon if you stand at the back of that video games shop and then teleport up one level into the car park you would start to feel the vibes. Maybe.

before it was the Rooftop i believe it was the Park Ballroom (yes Ballroom!! that tells you how long ago it was!!) :shock:

All correct Pogleswoody. The Unity was where I had my first underage pint (of mild). Popular with Sutton boys but don't recall it being trendy in 75/76.

no i'm late 60s, my lady was at Plymouth Poly and i was doing A-levels, used to meet her in there with her Uni mates either there or Cuba which still goes on i believe?

Sutton? 1975? i was DHS 1969 so we aren't natural soulmates!! :wink:

Sworn enemies in fact :wink: And yes, Cuba still going strong according to my daughter at Plymouth Uni.

mind you .. when they had to choose a school in Plymouth to pull down ...!!! :roll:

B

bandwagon

BALDY-OG":1yt0gp8m said:
pogleswoody":1yt0gp8m said:
Mark_Smith":1yt0gp8m said:

Am I going mad, but wasn't there a weird 'hairy' clothes shop next to Unity called Mr Bee's Fun Factory - I know you could get those Marc Bollan glittery jackets in there so must have been 1970/1 'ish!!
Widey Tech rules ok!!

L

LeamingtonGreen

You all need to have a word with yerself.
DHS...Widey and can barely say the last one....Sutton!

Public buyes rule! Cobourg street's finest. 8)

It used to be Woods then Monroes in my day but it was hard to beat a good night at Fiesta and Snobs. Dancing with the girls, showing 'em my moves, thinking I was so coooolllll. Hang on a minute I was cooooool.

May 21, 2010
taunton
Widey tech 1971-1976 rules, Mr Salter was the main man lol, yes Unity was a pub for students really if i remember rightly. Real men used to use the Star of the West or the Talbot.

B

bandwagon

taunton pilgrim":301mc69l said:
Widey tech 1971-1976 rules, Mr Salter was the main man lol, yes Unity was a pub for students really if i remember rightly. Real men used to use the Star of the West or the Talbot.

Widey Tech 67-72!! Star of the West - he'll of a pub!! Railway, Stoke Vaults, Waterloo and Terminus around the corner!!

G

Greenskin

Peter_dout":2z9rii9f said:
Amsterdam_Jim":2z9rii9f said:
Tyhee_Slim":2z9rii9f said:
cheshiregreen":2z9rii9f said:
Rupert":2z9rii9f said:
Woods was where the Pistols played their 'secret' gig, right? Didn't go to that, but I saw Elvis Costello and the Attractions and The Police (as a support band) there. It's under the new shopping centre now, if I can recall its location properly.

Was near Burtons shop in the street that led to the old Charles Cross car park - was that part of Old Town Street back then?

Didn't go to the 'secret' gig, but I did go to both nights of the Anarchy tour at Woods in December '76 - The Pistols, The Clash and Johnny Thunders' Heartbreakers all for (I think) a quid.

The 'secret' one was in early summer in '77. It was all over by then really in a 'Hippy wigs in Woolworths' kind of way. Some pleb who'd got all 'punked up' especially for the occasion in a fancy dress stylee collared me on his way to the gig assuming that, as I was know for being pretty into punk, I was on my way to the gig as well. I told him I wasn't, and when he asked why I said "because you are". Felt like a pretty good smartarse answer at the time.

Missed the Watford match due to an emergency road digging job with SWEB (listened to it on a battered radio beside the trench, not quite the same) also only heard about the Pistols gig the day after....a major disappointment for Holsworthy's then 'only' punk :) Did attempt to see the Adverts at Woods some time after, but got frightened off by bottle throwing bikers hanging out the window even though I was accompanied by an Okehampton school teacher, TV Smiths brother no less.
'
After moving down to Plymouth, spent many a night in the 'Speakeasy' as it was then called...great place at the time.

Simon, used to know him quiet well. My mother is very good friends with Tim (TV) and Gaye (Advert) I did invite the two of them to my wedding but they weren't able to make it.

Were you a Cult Maniacs fan? Featuring 'Big' Al Torringtons only gay punk. :)

Underrated band,were the Adverts,always thought that "Crossing the red sea" was a classic album,strangely ignored at the time as one of the great pieces of vinyl of the genre.Are they still gigging or recording, or did they pack up long ago,i've lost touch with it all these days.

Was at semi final and grand day out it was too. Only gripe was I was living and working in London at the time so had to travel up on train with Watford fans, not a good experience coming home. Been a member of GA since 1973 and the Santos game. Yes bloody bandwagoners :) I remember Monroes but we always called it Woods cos we were ( still are) rockers lol. As for school well an old Suttonian here and yes I used to drink in the Unity before popping into Woods. Happy Days .

BTW Great thread :grin:

H

HomeTruths

taunton pilgrim":3p7x5fw8 said:
Thats right Monroes, i remember now, didnt the DJ from Woods open up a place in breton side bus station, think its a cafe now.
Yup, it was called Tramps

A

Amsterdam_Jim

Greenskin":2i8eibl8 said:
Peter_dout":2i8eibl8 said:
Amsterdam_Jim":2i8eibl8 said:
Tyhee_Slim":2i8eibl8 said:
cheshiregreen":2i8eibl8 said:
Rupert":2i8eibl8 said:

'

Simon, used to know him quiet well. My mother is very good friends with Tim (TV) and Gaye (Advert) I did invite the two of them to my wedding but they weren't able to make it.

Were you a Cult Maniacs fan? Featuring 'Big' Al Torringtons only gay punk. :)

Underrated band,were the Adverts,always thought that "Crossing the red sea" was a classic album,strangely ignored at the time as one of the great pieces of vinyl of the genre.Are they still gigging or recording, or did they pack up long ago,i've lost touch with it all these days.

Yes, knew Big Al and the Torrington 'Farmer Punks' (Vern the Carrot) :) I geuss maybe our paths have crossed? I worked for a couple of years behind the bar in the Minerva, during John and Macs reign.

Haven't seen Simon for a few years, but I hear he's fine. He took over a buisiness making bespoke guitars. TV Smith is still playing live, mainly around Europe I think.

IJN":2mtjir88 said:
4897392110_1dd5047815.jpg

4897395022_55837948b7.jpg

I'm in the Beacon shirt.

Here's another 'crew' (Hello boys!! :))

4897398696_f07b6fcdbf_z.jpg

R.I.P Golly and Gary Davies. :(

Sitting here, halfway round the world! Looking at centre picture, has my old mates from St. Austell, Ian and Harvey. If I remember rightly this pub was somewhere near Worcester, stopped for a pint or two, one idiot nearly started a fight. Great day out. Don't remember names but reconise a lot of faces from top picture as well.
Loved the cup run, went to all but the Derby game.