Were you at HP on this day in 1962 (January 20 1962) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Were you at HP on this day in 1962 (January 20 1962)

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
memory man":1qslpwad said:
For the past few years I have been busy re-visiting those days for a book on that period and have come up with some interesting (to me anyway!) stories.

I assume you will let us all know when it is available ?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Dreamgreen":1cpzopel said:
memory man":1cpzopel said:
For the past few years I have been busy re-visiting those days for a book on that period and have come up with some interesting (to me anyway!) stories.

I assume you will let us all know when it is available ?
Yes I will, most certainly. Various difficulties like moving house and having all my research books in store for 7 months haven't helped! It is all but finished, Just putting the finishing touches to the life stories of Dave Maclaren, George Kirby, Ken Maloy, Keith Williams and Alex Jackson. As well as that interesting 4 weeks in January 1962 I also take a close look at the exciting and record-breaking 15 day spell in December 1960 which was pure Roy of the Rovers stuff.

Feb 21, 2012
Plymouth
Not at that reserve game.I also had to miss the Spurs game due to having the Evening Herald to deliver at about five pm that day,and,it was my 15th.birthday!Spurs are my second team,(Argyle first naturally)really wanted to go to the match,but "work"commitments(paper round)prevented that.My dad and one of my brothers went and saw a mighty display from Spurs,who went on to do the double that season.Gutted ever since. :sad:

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
rongreenblood":2o34lyyx said:
Not at that reserve game.I also had to miss the Spurs game due to having the Evening Herald to deliver at about five pm that day,and,it was my 15th.birthday!Spurs are my second team,(Argyle first naturally)really wanted to go to the match,but "work"commitments(paper round)prevented that.My dad and one of my brothers went and saw a mighty display from Spurs,who went on to do the double that season.Gutted ever since. :sad:
It was indeed a mighty display from the Spurs - but they were already the double-holders from the previous 1960-61 season. The 1961-62 season was the one after, the campaign when they signed Jimmy Greaves from Italy. The January cup tie was his second visit to HP as he played for Spurs reserves the previous December in what was his first game back in England. The Plymouth players who played in the cup tie have told me over the past few years that Spurs always had another gear. As soon as Argyle tried to exert any pressure Spurs just upped the tempo. It was a brave display from the home side but Bill Nicholson came thoroughly prepared.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
No I wasn't sadly. Everybody (Dad, Grandad) were 'experts' on Argyle but nobody ever wanted to watch them. My older brother played. So my Mum introduced some 'rule' that on 26th July 1964 I wasn't old enough to go to Argyle whereas on 28th July 1964 I was a teenager so was old enough to go on my own. So I reckon my Golden Jubilee starts with the start of next season.

anyway, the first 49 years are the worst!!

any chance of a Gold Star Jubilee on one's logo to identify members of this (fairly exclusive ) club?? :scarf:

Jan 3, 2013
Pogleswoody":1bf5wyhj said:
No I wasn't sadly. Everybody (Dad, Grandad) were 'experts' on Argyle but nobody ever wanted to watch them. My older brother played. So my Mum introduced some 'rule' that on 26th July 1964 I wasn't old enough to go to Argyle whereas on 28th July 1964 I was a teenager so was old enough to go on my own. So I reckon my Golden Jubilee starts with the start of next season.

anyway, the first 49 years are the worst!!

any chance of a Gold Star Jubilee on one's logo to identify members of this (fairly exclusive ) club?? :scarf:
me too 52 yrs for me.gold star great idea. BTW wsdnt at the Spurs game but dad was. Crowd was inflated by fans going in buying spurs tkt leaving then going back in for another tkt again and again

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
rongreenblood":2f64ba8d said:
Quite right Memory man,The double was the season before,well it was a long time ago!Anyway,still gutted :sad:
I was lucky enough to go to Wembley that year to watch the one and only FA Cup Final I have ever been to. Spurs were brilliant and Burnley were never in it. During my research for a book covering the period I came across a man who, on balance, was even unluckier than you on 27 January 1962! I am sure you will chuckle once you see it!