What happens at HT | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What happens at HT

Jul 12, 2016
Knibbsworth":1md8biu9 said:
Gary S":1md8biu9 said:
Have to agree with Balham on this one, as far as today
is concerned; an individual mistake rather than some deep
seated psychological problem.

When you realise how many goals we have conceded straight after half time, often in the very first attack of the half, it is a continuous theme. We are for whatever reason very nervy and vulnerable after the break. We score no goals in this manner but concede many, just like with corners and set pieces. We can't keep burying our heads in the sand about it.
The problem is that the more it happens the more of a psychological problem it becomes.Similar to trying to break a losing streak.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
edengreen":emdhnnqa said:
Safe to say we need a left back next season
Sawyer will struggle to come back from a season out, lewwis not good enough and grant and cooper should be fighting it out in midfield
Like to see cooper challenging mayor for his position as mayor seems untouchable

Will mayor be here next season?

I thought he’s OOC at the end of this season?

Feb 14, 2021
It seems too frequent to always be down to individual error.
Collective mindset coming out after the break? I've asked myself what Lowe says to them at halftime because this season we've often been looking like a playoff contending side first half and relegation material second half.
Post match Lowe hinted this is due to inexperience and a young side.
Maybe.
It's still painful, even more so when you can see it coming.
I'm sure most of us are happy with a point today.
Fair play to Hardie, that would have meant alot and will hopefully boost his confidence.

P

Paranoid Android

I think the back 4 will give us opportunities next season. I'd like to see Ryan try out Tomlinson and Law in a couple of games now with a view to being in the squad next season. I think most of us can remember how good a left back Conor was for Derek and for me I'd like us to keep with this system and Conor would be nailed on for left back, for me.

If we are in a position to offer Opoku a deal, or failing that, Watts. I can see them with Aimson in the 2 CB roles doing great in this formation, with Joe 90 at right back. That's my back 4. Plus Tomlinson and Law and one other experienced CB needed.

With Conor at left (wing) back that frees up the midfield spot for George Cooper. It's like a rubiks cube puzzle but I feel there's a logic to it.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
I can't see George Cooper being much more than an impact sub unless his all round attitude and defensive contribution improves significantly. If Opoku is available at a reasonable cost he would be worth signing likewise Fornah, I'm not convinced Watts is so good. I agree the young players should be tried out. Although there is a section of fans who like to criticise Mayor at every opportunity I don't think it will be easy to find creative midfielders if we have to replace him. We would definitely need a couple of good options, one to play centrally and one to replace Moore.

P

Paranoid Android

Dorset Pilgrim":3fre0vtb said:
I can't see George Cooper being much more than an impact sub unless his all round attitude and defensive contribution improves significantly. If Opoku is available at a reasonable cost he would be worth signing likewise Fornah, I'm not convinced Watts is so good. I agree the young players should be tried out. Although there is a section of fans who like to criticise Mayor at every opportunity I don't think it will be easy to find creative midfielders if we have to replace him. We would definitely need a couple of good options, one to play centrally and one to replace Moore.

I’m thinking in the 4-4-2 / 4-2-2-2 formation George and Danny take the advanced roles with camara and another (Fornah) in the two deeper positions. In this formation George doesn’t have to track back like a wing back he’d be pressing with the front two and defensively just drop back to the 4-4-2. That’s my thinking.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
I'm fairly certain that as soon as we have 3 centre backs available we will revert to 3-5-2.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Mark Pedlar":2pghwxe4 said:
I'm fairly certain that as soon as we have 3 centre backs available we will revert to 3-5-2.

Will Lowe persist with the current formation though? We can all see a more assured back line (despite those errors!), so I'm sure it's food for thought for RL.

Apr 1, 2009
Paranoid Android":1j90ryhs said:
I think the back 4 will give us opportunities next season. I'd like to see Ryan try out Tomlinson and Law in a couple of games now with a view to being in the squad next season. I think most of us can remember how good a left back Conor was for Derek and for me I'd like us to keep with this system and Conor would be nailed on for left back, for me.

If we are in a position to offer Opoku a deal, or failing that, Watts. I can see them with Aimson in the 2 CB roles doing great in this formation, with Joe 90 at right back. That's my back 4. Plus Tomlinson and Law and one other experienced CB needed.

With Conor at left (wing) back that frees up the midfield spot for George Cooper. It's like a rubiks cube puzzle but I feel there's a logic to it.

Conor Grant is not a natural defender, and therefore not a natural LB. Yes, he can play there, and did play 3 decent games there under Adams, but he's not a natural. He's more of a LWB than a LB (as is Lewis). In truth, Conor's greatest value to this squad is his versatility in being able to play well in a number of roles, sometimes changing multiple times in the course of a game.

If, as I believe, Conor is OOC, it's a bit premature to be inking him into next season's team.

P

Paranoid Android

xmastree":2fgnhucm said:
Paranoid Android":2fgnhucm said:

Conor Grant is not a natural defender, and therefore not a natural LB. Yes, he can play there, and did play 3 decent games there under Adams, but he's not a natural. He's more of a LWB than a LB (as is Lewis). In truth, Conor's greatest value to this squad is his versatility in being able to play well in a number of roles, sometimes changing multiple times in the course of a game.

If, as I believe, Conor is OOC, it's a bit premature to be inking him into next season's team.

I hear what your saying Xmas but i do disagree. Even in the 4-4-2 we see the right and left backs pushing foward in overlaps and getting crosses in. Case in point yesterday, 90+1 minutes the left back crosses the right back scores. I don't think it's premature at all, Lowe will have to be thinking next season now, getting his options worked out to know what he needs to bring in for pre-season. And we're talking hypotheticals here right.

Beyton Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 19, 2005
davie nine":2wb521wp said:
mutley marvel":2wb521wp said:
The oppositions n have sussed us out- we have a very young team & no leader. Only one has to switch off or make a poor decision & the inevitable happens. I dont expect the boys to be at it for 90 minutes but the 2nd half malaise has killed us this season & we have chased far to many games- but today we got out of jail. Hopefully the management over the close season will realise we need a mixture of youth & old heads to be around the playoffs next season :thumbdown:
If, by a leader, you mean someone who sets an example to the rest of the team then we have one, Joe Edwards, our current captain.
However, I do agree that we need a mixture of youth and old heads in our defensive system.
Sonny Bradley was not our captain but he was the rock in the centre of our defence. Mm in 2016/7.
I will add that, we have had 7 promotions in the last 50 years. These were the ‘rocks’ in our defence.
1974/5 Mike Green Tier 3
1985/6 Gerry McElhinney Tier 3
1995/6 Mick Heathcote Tier 4
2001/2 Graham Coughlan Tier 4
2003/4 Graham Coughlan Tier 3
2016/7 Sonny Bradley Tier 4
2019/20 Niall Canavan Tier 4

Canavan - seriously??

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
edengreen":7283rk3a said:
Sawyer will struggle to come back from a season out, lewwis not good enough and grant and cooper should be fighting it out in midfield
Like to see cooper challenging mayor for his position as mayor seems untouchable

I think We’ve got a decent Left back - Conor Grant. Just need someone as good as Conor to go into midfield.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
JannerinCardiff":1d0igypd said:
edengreen":1d0igypd said:

I think We’ve got a decent Left back - Conor Grant. Just need someone as good as Conor to go into midfield.

Depends if DM stays or goes.

If he leaves, Fornah goes, Reeves probably leaves, Macleod will probably leave.

That leaves Connor Grant. Is his preference CM or LB.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Beyton_Green":2fdv5d8e said:
davie nine":2fdv5d8e said:
mutley marvel":2fdv5d8e said:
The oppositions n have sussed us out- we have a very young team & no leader. Only one has to switch off or make a poor decision & the inevitable happens. I dont expect the boys to be at it for 90 minutes but the 2nd half malaise has killed us this season & we have chased far to many games- but today we got out of jail. Hopefully the management over the close season will realise we need a mixture of youth & old heads to be around the playoffs next season :thumbdown:
If, by a leader, you mean someone who sets an example to the rest of the team then we have one, Joe Edwards, our current captain.
However, I do agree that we need a mixture of youth and old heads in our defensive system.
Sonny Bradley was not our captain but he was the rock in the centre of our defence. Mm in 2016/7.
I will add that, we have had 7 promotions in the last 50 years. These were the ‘rocks’ in our defence.
1974/5 Mike Green Tier 3
1985/6 Gerry McElhinney Tier 3
1995/6 Mick Heathcote Tier 4
2001/2 Graham Coughlan Tier 4
2003/4 Graham Coughlan Tier 3
2016/7 Sonny Bradley Tier 4
2019/20 Niall Canavan Tier 4

Canavan - seriously??
Not so convincing, I agree but you can surely acknowledge that the others are.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
The defence just seems to lack concentration at the start of the second half - until it's too late.

We've also let in some goals early in the first half too.