What/who comes to your mind when you see this photo? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What/who comes to your mind when you see this photo?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Argyle Res v Mansfield Town Res: 20 January 1962. A stampede from the Lyndhurst turnstiles when that closed for selling FA Cup tickets and the Barn Park turnstile was the last place left to get them. Those that left the Lyndhurst when the tickets ran out decided that they should be first in the queue at the BPE. If anyone thinks selfish behaviour and greed is a modern thing, they should have been trying to buy a ticket that day! Some people went in an out of the ground 2 and 3 times to rejoin the queue.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
I took this one in 2000, a few months before the bulldozers moved in. Presumably the prices were for a reserve game. The entrance was built in 1959 I think, along with the steps, and being a Peverell lad, it was where my blood turned green.

BPentrance.jpg

C

Cheltgreen

2 Things:

My first game as a steward was the visit of Bristol City in the 84-85(??) season. As a naive 18 yo, I was posted at the top of the "10 steps start here" ramp in the Barn Park End. Took a bit of stick.

On another occasion, I was in the same position and saw a couple of lads climbing in through the back of the toilet block at the bottom of the ramp. Myself and a colleague went down to confront them as they came out of the toilets. "Where you going lads?" "We're going back onto the terrace - just been for a pee", came the reply. It would have worked until it was pointed out they were coming out of the 'Ladies'!!

Happy days :)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
GreensOnScreen":2vycc5d4 said:
I took this one in 2000, a few months before the bulldozers moved in. Presumably the prices were for a reserve game. The entrance was built in 1959 I think, along with the steps, and being a Peverell lad, it was where my blood turned green.

BPentrance.jpg

Steve - Have you a high res of that one? Mark (Smith) could crop it, as the one I put up was a tiny 320 x 380.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
IJN":1cv3l3gy said:
Steve - Have you a high res of that one? Mark (Smith) could crop it, as the one I put up was a tiny 320 x 380.
I'm afraid not - this is the full res of the photo. It was taken with an early digital camera (2 MP), then cropped in a bit, so I don't think it'll be much good for printing, even at postcard size.

Feb 13, 2015
My dad started taking me to the Barn Park end when I was about 4/5 years old. 60 years of mostly heartache later, I sometimes think I wish he hadn’t!! Like Mark above, I watched from the big concrete block at the base of the floodlights. It was 3 rows of kids and you moved further back as you got a little older. Then moved to the corner flag to watch Nicky Jennings up close before graduating to the Demport and all the fun there. Bit older and sensible to the steep Kop in the corner. Now with the other oldies in the main stand.
I remember queuing at those turnstiles , when we got to the front my dad used to pick me up and say he is too young and I am not paying for him. Worked every time although it was only 1s 6d ((7.5p) for me anyway. It was bad leaving at the end . I was too little to see the 10 steps start here sign, all I could see was legs, as we were squashed together going down. I am sure some weeks my legs didn’t touch the floor.

Dec 3, 2005
Being lifted up going down the steps lol - the loudspeakers - being able to walk all around the ground - good times with my Dad. :scarf: