Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 83 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Oct 9, 2023
Now we know exactly what the requirements is - i.e. a Manager to keep us up again but hopefully not going to the last game - I think that should significantly narrow the field.

Personally, I think it's a time for pragmatism so I would like to see a Gary Rowett or Nigel Pearson type of experienced Championship Manager to hopefully get us through the next couple of seasons and established in the Division.

It's all very well fans asking for a Manager who will get us playing like we did in League 1 last season, "you score 2, we'll score 3" sort of thing. But the reality is that we don't have the budget to sign the sort of players required to play an open, expansive, attacking style of football in the Championship.

We have to adapt to a way of playing that is commensurate with our budget.
Yes, in my opinion, Nigel Pearson would keep us up at least in a solid mid-table position next season.

Today , a bus driver in Royal Parade told me that Nigel Pearson and family have lived in Newton Abbot for several years
and own acres of country land in Somerset.
So no criticism there of not moving his family down or having to commute from far away !

Nigel put together a solid team at
Bristol City (as we well know despite our weak line-up on the night !)
and bringing through youngsters too.

Remembering that Pearson took Leicester City from League One to the Championship and then later on to the Premiership by getting several great free transfers like Albrighton, Vardy for only 900,000 pounds and bringing through youth team players.
Frankly, nearly all of the Leicester squad which went on to win the Premiership League Title in May 2016 ,with Ranieri, had played for Pearson previously.

Admittedly , Pearson is his own boss (and does make 'Ostrich' insults occasionally !) so Dewsnip might not want him on board with him
(or instead of him !) .
However, it is too good an opportunity to overlook someone like Pearson who is now living locally , will attract former players (fast, physical midfielders and forwards that we really need) some for free, will use his contacts with Premiership clubs to bring in quality players on loan (like those who've helped Ipswich go up this season) , he will help bring through local youth team players and despite what some say , Argyle will have more money and so a top quality, experienced manager should be the first part of our rebuilding project.

In the link below. some Ipswich fans wanted Pearson in 2022 and the comments about him by
Kasper Schmeichel tell us a lot about Nigel Pearson as a boss.

Jul 11, 2011
Would like to say a proven manager, but wonder if I'm being cautious given we got our fingers burnt with the last one. There are decent coaches and assistants that have made the step up after all. One thing I definitely wouldn't want is an uninspiring jobbing Peter Reid, Frank Lampard-type manager who you wouldn't have any faith in during a firefight.
Considering what Peter Reid actually did for the club this is pretty disrespectful