Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 82 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

Who do you want as the new manager?

• Johannes Hoff Thorup

Votes: 80 21.9%
  • Anthony Barry

Votes: 44 12.1%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

Votes: 36 9.9%
  • Nigel Pearson

Votes: 24 6.6%
  • Michael Skubala

Votes: 52 14.2%
  • Nathan Jones

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • Alex Neil

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Gareth Ainsworth

Votes: 8 2.2%
  • Gary Rowett

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • Someone else

Votes: 53 14.5%
  • David Wagner

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Will Still

Votes: 39 10.7%

• Total voters
Apr 8, 2016
Jagoba Arrasate - young 45 year head coach, leaving Osasuna in spain after 6 years, 12th in top Spanish league.

Was not pushed or poached, yet felt he had reached the end with club, not enjoying it so believes that's when it's time to not resign a new contract which was due next month.

Osasuna were his first club, he apparently played a fast paced counter attacking side demanding effort and focus over flare. Apparently once the man City quoted as saying he was a miracle worker when Osasuna finished 4th in.Spanish behind R Madrid, Atheletico, Barcelona.

Due to very modest budget and squad depth at his disposal.

So perhaps worth an approach
Great shout

Reactions: NLG
Aug 23, 2006
Home Park
The good thing about the IF debacle is the club should hopefully learn from those mistakes. Some mentioned Pearson he's a proven good manager if you read wiki I was surprised at how well he's done. He's been treated unfairly in some of his clubs. But he seems to fall out with chairman's alot.

RB00194

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 8, 2024
I just hope we get someone who can get Whittaker's mojo back, something makes him tick, and a new manager needs to unlock that. I’m not convinced he will be sold this summer TBH.

Thinking exactly the same thing. What on earth went one between IF and the players. Especially MW and RH

Reactions: Graham Green

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Thinking exactly the same thing. What on earth went one between IF and the players. Especially MW and RH
He isn't a people person, that is evident. Especially with the news that did the rounds after he had left. One big thing was his obsession with out of possession play. Whilst this was needed, one negative output from it was the isolation of Hardie and MW. The midfield were too far away from them. If Azaz was there to pick the ball up in the hole, great. But we had nobody to do that. The result was no goals and a lack of creativity

Reactions: RB00194

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Jagoba Arrasate would be absolutely incredible, but there’s no way a successful La Liga coach is coming to Argyle or majority of Championship clubs.

Beer Song

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Apr 10, 2005
Sarajevo
blackpowderguild.com
Whoever is brought in, legally is it possible for clauses to be put into their contract preventing them from jumping ship mid-season should they be a success by that stage in the season and eyed up by those clubs with money looking to recover their failing season by poaching another team's successful Manager?! otherwise we may find ourselves going through the same crap again, unable to counter any popstaresque salary offers!

Jul 24, 2006
Budapest
Legally possible yes but who would sign such a contact? Also you have to look at the flip side.... That manager would then say ok, if I can't go if all goes well, then you can't sack me if things go wrong.

Best chance to mitigate against this is a big release clause but again you would have to pay big to sack them if it went wrong

Reactions: Beer Song
Aug 16, 2005
Somerset
Whoever is brought in, legally is it possible for clauses to be put into their contract preventing them from jumping ship mid-season should they be a success by that stage in the season and eyed up by those clubs with money looking to recover their failing season by poaching another team's successful Manager?! otherwise we may find ourselves going through the same crap again, unable to counter any popstaresque salary offers!
Like a clause that says ... if Argyle are doing well you cannot resign never mind how much is offered but if Argyle are struggling under your leadership then you can be sacked at any time'? I'm not sure that would stand up in court.

Reactions: Beer Song

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Do we know if the club is still stipulating an attractive, attacking brand for the next manager/head coach?

I haven’t seen it mentioned this time, though to be fair there has been more pressing business.

May 18, 2016
There are a few former footballers that have finished their coaching badges and are looking for their first proper management job. The pick of them might be Jermain Defoe or Leighton Baines. Lots of experience under some great managers and must have great networks for talent spotting or potential loans. Obviously Baines will know Dewsnip and he is currently in a talent development role at Goodison.

Apr 30, 2011
Excited about getting someone who sees a real opportunity with us now - the calibre of manager available to us as a Championship club will be much higher.

Realistically we're going to have to go left field to find someone who can surprise people and overachieve with us. A trendy Scandi appointment would be good, or Barry from Bayern maybe, as long as they actually buy into the ethos of the club and don't just lie about it like Foster.
I don't think he lied. I genuinely think that he was just caught up in a whirlwind of change. Leaving Saudi then coming to Plymouth, trying to relocate his family down to the SW and not having any of his own 'men' in the back room team to support him. He made some really bad decisions, isolated himself from the squad (and the board it appears) then didn't really have the resilience to face it out on his own. He looked a well beaten man to me, he over estimated his ability to cope under really difficult circumstances and it just went down hill from there.

Any new man coming in really needs to bring the squad with them, so the likes of Joe, Morgan, Scarr, Houghton and Forshaw need to be allies and not enemies - even if his long term view is that he doesn't want them at the club.

Interesting times, the Foster experiment failed but I don't think we should rip up our process and start from scratch. As I've posted before on this thread, there needs to be some key learning from Foster's appointment which goes beyond how well they interview about football.

How can they evidence or deliver on the ethos of a geographically isolated club? What would this mean for your family if you were successful? How would family life work? I'm guessing that these are questions that would be asked? (There must be someone on here in the know who could reveal the types of questions asked at an interview for a football manager).